Jump to content

Debt Collectors Can Find You on Social Media Now


Recommended Posts


12 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Do they still have limited text plans for cellphones? The author mentions numerous texts to debtors that use up the text allotment.

I'm not aware of any, but I'm sure there is some bottom feeder text plan out there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nemo said:

There have been many times in my life when a pay-as-you-go prepaid plan was the best deal.  I wouldn't call these bottom feeders.  They're a great option for occasional use because people aren't stuck with a high monthly fee.  As an example, here's a current one from T-Mobile via Ultramobile.

 

https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/

I've used pre-paid when I've needed a one off burner device.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2020 at 10:00 AM, TheVig said:

I'm not aware of any, but I'm sure there is some bottom feeder text plan out there. 

Not all of them are bottom-feeder plans...some are simply grandfathered.  I still have what amounts to a *Admin and our Terms of Service prohibit profanity*ized version of my government rate almost 23 years later.  The phone has gone through five or six carrier mergers and name-changes and I have long since been out from under the contract.  I even still have my BlackBerry-specific data plan...

 

I sometimes expect ATT to send a hit squad out for me because every time I have to inquire about something, they tell me my plan doesn't exist and they need to get me under contract.  Each and every time, I laugh at them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, centex said:

Not all of them are bottom-feeder plans...some are simply grandfathered.  I still have what amounts to a *Admin and our Terms of Service prohibit profanity*ized version of my government rate almost 23 years later.  The phone has gone through five or six carrier mergers and name-changes and I have long since been out from under the contract.  I even still have my BlackBerry-specific data plan...

 

I sometimes expect ATT to send a hit squad out for me because every time I have to inquire about something, they tell me my plan doesn't exist and they need to get me under contract.  Each and every time, I laugh at them. 

I had some Crackberry devices back in the day. Then 2007, Apple dropped the first iphone, and the rest is history. Palm was already gasping for air before iphone. The diehard Blackberry users held out as long as they could. 

 

I'm not a diehard fanboy of either android or apple. I've used both. Some sheep can get downright militant over the topic.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like a tenable premise. 

 

“But lower-income folks, a lot of them are on pay-as-you-text plans, so that’s a major concern if a debt collector gets that number. That is costing that person money, especially money they might not have.” 

 

But peel the layers:

 

Q1) How many consumers have mobile plans that charge extra for each text message?

Q2) Of those, how many plans actually charge extra for every incoming text message?

Q3) How many of these text recipients cannot block texts by the originating number?

Q4) Of those who can block texts by originating number, how many text messages will be received from collectors using an unmanageable number of rotating "from" numbers that make the messages impossible to block?

Q5) Of those, how many text messages will not contain the required opt-out option?  

Q6) Of those, how many of those messages are from collectors that the CFPB could actually find and punish?

 

Once you've sifted through all of that:

 

Q7) How many impacted consumers are actually considered "lower-income"?

Q8) How much does the average incoming text cost on a plan like this?

Q9) How many of the remaining recipients do not have the money to pay for these text messages, as suggested by the quote?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2020 at 8:51 PM, StarkRaven$ said:

Do they still have limited text plans for cellphones? The author mentions numerous texts to debtors that use up the text allotment.

Burner phones...of course! Duh! Get a new phone number and evade the debt collections like a boss. Of course, one might get inundated with collection calls for someone else. LOL!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheVig said:

I had some Crackberry devices back in the day. Then 2007, Apple dropped the first iphone, and the rest is history. Palm was already gasping for air before iphone. The diehard Blackberry users held out as long as they could. 

 

I'm not a diehard fanboy of either android or apple. I've used both. Some sheep can get downright militant over the topic.

Still rocking my Blackberry...although it was one of the early Android OS phones (6.x).  The Q10 still gets some use as well, but more for the music I have on it.  Too many things quit functioning on BB10.  I do love my PKB...hate the all-digital crap.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Get a new phone number and evade the debt collections like a boss. Of course, one might get inundated with collection calls for someone else. LOL!

This actually happened to me back when I was having trouble.  I changed my number and avoided my own debt collectors, but then got a ton of calls trying to collect from the previous owner of my new number.  It was a pay-as-you-go phone, so every call cost me money.  Doh!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, legaleagle2012 said:

There is plenty of case law out there that clearly points out that unsolicited text messages w/o prior consent to a cell phone violate the TCPA. Maybe the idiots who write these articles should try reading the CFR.

However, there are ALSO plenty of Agreements out there that the Consumer has agreed to in which they expressly consent to be contacted at any number given to the bank except and unless that contact permission is rescinded in writing to a specified address.  Contact via text is not, in and of itself, indicia of any manner of administrative law violation...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      182,742
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    WILLIAM702
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines