• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alas, my wisdom is not allowed on their board

18 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Yikes. Are timeshares still a thing?

Few go broke under-estimating the poor financial skills of the masses...

Definitely still being sold in many places, with the buyers remorse setting in when the first statement is received showing all the fees that are owed...and that is if the purchaser has not already been disillusioned at the inability to use their 'points' at a sibling property...

7 hours ago, centex said:

Few go broke under-estimating the poor financial skills of the masses...

Definitely still being sold in many places, with the buyers remorse setting in when the first statement is received showing all the fees that are owed...and that is if the purchaser has not already been disillusioned at the inability to use their 'points' at a sibling property...

Timeshares are one of the few things on Earth that you pay to buy and and have to pay someone else to "buy" it from you.

Edited by cashnocredit
2 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Timeshares are one of the few things on Earth that you pay to buy and and have to pay someone else to "buy" it from you.

I miss the old days when being an out lesbian was a huge no-no in so many places...I would go to extract whatever the useful freebie was and then ask for a copy of the non-discrimination policies.  They would always say they would never allow their staff to engage in such a thing but couldn't produce a policy.  Made it easy to say, "nope...just don't feel comfortable.  But hey, thanks for the $200 in match play (or whatever else was the inducement)."   

And then for a while, they would try to say how much I would save on my extensive traveling to Las Vegas...until I pointed out points-related travel to go along with the comps (back when comps flowed freely). 

Nowadays, even I get hard-pressed to come up with a reason to waste a few hours of my day to jack with them...

On 11/14/2020 at 10:02 PM, StarkRaven$ said:

UCBExab.jpg

OMG!  Did you get Indy's permission to post his picture here?  

[MOD: YOU KEEP MAKING COMMENTS LIKE THIS ABOUT STAFF AND YOU'LL FIND YOURSELF BACK IN QUARANTINE!!]

Edited by IndyPoolPlayer
Added Moderator Notation
1 hour ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Never give dogs garlic because it's poisonous but they still sell garlic tabs for dogs to aid in repelling fleas.  🤨

Good to know about the garlic.  I never knew that.  But then it would never occur to me to give a dog garlic.  Is it garlic they put inside flea collars?

They say chocolate is highly poisonous for dogs, too, but I'm not so sure.  A few years ago we were staying at a friend's and he had a really fat beagle.  It was the night before Halloween and we had just bought about 250 miniature Milky Way bars and I put them in a tied-up plastic bag and placed them on top of a high dresser in a closed bedroom.  Then we all went out to eat.

Upon returning, the bedroom door was open.  The bag full of Milky Way bars was on the floor and there were ZERO Milky Way bars left.  Just a floor cluttered with wrappers.  

First I ever heard that chocolate was bad for dogs.  Mike was sure his dog was going to die, but nothing happened.  

I think it's amazing not that the dog survived, but that the little pig could get the door open,  get the bag down from a 4-foot high dresser, open the plastic bag and open each and every one of the Milky Way bars and eat the things.  Obviously that dog is smarter and more agile than drunken sailors in my unit.  

1 hour ago, PotO said:

Good to know about the garlic.  I never knew that.  But then it would never occur to me to give a dog garlic.  Is it garlic they put inside flea collars?

They say chocolate is highly poisonous for dogs, too, but I'm not so sure.  A few years ago we were staying at a friend's and he had a really fat beagle.  It was the night before Halloween and we had just bought about 250 miniature Milky Way bars and I put them in a tied-up plastic bag and placed them on top of a high dresser in a closed bedroom.  Then we all went out to eat.

Upon returning, the bedroom door was open.  The bag full of Milky Way bars was on the floor and there were ZERO Milky Way bars left.  Just a floor cluttered with wrappers.  

First I ever heard that chocolate was bad for dogs.  Mike was sure his dog was going to die, but nothing happened.  

I think it's amazing not that the dog survived, but that the little pig could get the door open,  get the bag down from a 4-foot high dresser, open the plastic bag and open each and every one of the Milky Way bars and eat the things.  Obviously that dog is smarter and more agile than drunken sailors in my unit.  

Milky Way bars probably contain traces of actual cocoa for marketing purposes, but apparently not enough to harm a dog.

4 hours ago, PotO said:

The garlic tabs are chewable. Your friend should be concerned about all that weight on the dog especially as it gets older. So bad for their spines.

4 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

The garlic tabs are chewable. Your friend should be concerned about all that weight on the dog especially as it gets older. So bad for their spines.

You are, of course, right.  The dog passed away a year or so ago.  He was really old.

The dog acted more like a lovable and huge cat.  It loved snuggling with you when on the sofa watching TV.  I miss him.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

@LittleRon1 ????

V0TzucH.png

OMG!

First of all, Brohege, don't insult Ron1 like that.  He wasn't a turd collector.   😀

I think the person over at myFU doesn't need credit advice.  They need psychiatric intervention.  Maybe they can find the one that gave @RVR his lobotomy.  

2 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Do you have any pets in China? 

Unfortunately, no.

Until somewhat recently, nobody kept pets in China -- at least those living in big cities.  The whole concept of pets was foreign.  Dogs and cats and goldfish were dinner, not pets.  Well, actually, they still are ...  😂

In the medium to big cities, 99% of the people live in apartment buildings.  We live in an apartment (condo) that's rather large by Chinese standards at 225 m2 and to keep a dog is rather difficult.  You need to bring it outside at least twice a day and in a city with a bit over 40 million inhabitants there just isn't enough space to let a dog run free -- nor is it legal to allow.  You also need to be right behind the dog with a pooper-scooper.  Add to that the fact that during the week nobody is generally home from 8 am to 7 pm.  Well, my son is home, but only because UCLA has all classes via remote and he doesn't need to be on campus.  But during the day he sleeps because of the time difference.  Taking proper care of a pet would be difficult here.

That said, many people now do have pets.  It's a new fad.  Mostly people have dogs, but they are generally the midget variety.  I've seen hot dogs beggar than many dogs people around here have as pets.  Usually they are retired people who have the time to walk their dogs a couple of times per day -- often more.  They generally live in much smaller apartments so any dog bigger than a large pear is just too big.  Then, people generally don't clean up outside after their dogs take a dump.  

Every dog has to have a license, but most people ignore that requirement.  Every so often animal control conducts raids and confiscates all illegal pets.  This is usually after people have complained about dog pee and crap in the elevators and on the sidewalks.  

My next door neighbor is a great guy.  He is older and he has a poodle.  The dog is really great and on the weekends I often go out with them for a walk.  Another neighbor also has a poodle and the dog likes to play catch.  It's fun!    But they are older people and have the time every day to take care of their dog.  

When we are home in Vegas, we have a pet.  We have a dog and a cat.  

You ought to bring your family on vacation to China after the COVID-19 circus ends.  I'll take to you to a restaurant that has wonderful food, but you will not last even a minute there to taste anything.  When you walk in, the whole first floor is like a pet shop filled with cages with various dogs, cats, snakes, rats and probably other animals.  You can choose which one you want for dinner.  You walk upstairs and it's a beautiful restaurant, but you hear the dogs and cats below and your appetite vanishes.  Funny thing is, it's not a sleazy place.  It's considered very high-class and it's very expensive.  

1 hour ago, PotO said:

Unfortunately, no.

Until somewhat recently, nobody kept pets in China -- at least those living in big cities.  The whole concept of pets was foreign.  Dogs and cats and goldfish were dinner, not pets.  Well, actually, they still are ...  😂

In the medium to big cities, 99% of the people live in apartment buildings.  We live in an apartment (condo) that's rather large by Chinese standards at 225 m2 and to keep a dog is rather difficult.  You need to bring it outside at least twice a day and in a city with a bit over 40 million inhabitants there just isn't enough space to let a dog run free -- nor is it legal to allow.  You also need to be right behind the dog with a pooper-scooper.  Add to that the fact that during the week nobody is generally home from 8 am to 7 pm.  Well, my son is home, but only because UCLA has all classes via remote and he doesn't need to be on campus.  But during the day he sleeps because of the time difference.  Taking proper care of a pet would be difficult here.

That said, many people now do have pets.  It's a new fad.  Mostly people have dogs, but they are generally the midget variety.  I've seen hot dogs beggar than many dogs people around here have as pets.  Usually they are retired people who have the time to walk their dogs a couple of times per day -- often more.  They generally live in much smaller apartments so any dog bigger than a large pear is just too big.  Then, people generally don't clean up outside after their dogs take a dump.  

Every dog has to have a license, but most people ignore that requirement.  Every so often animal control conducts raids and confiscates all illegal pets.  This is usually after people have complained about dog pee and crap in the elevators and on the sidewalks.  

My next door neighbor is a great guy.  He is older and he has a poodle.  The dog is really great and on the weekends I often go out with them for a walk.  Another neighbor also has a poodle and the dog likes to play catch.  It's fun!    But they are older people and have the time every day to take care of their dog.  

You ought to bring your family on vacation to China after the COVID-19 circus ends.  I'll take to you to a restaurant that has wonderful food, but you will not last even a minute there to taste anything.  When you walk in, the whole first floor is like a pet shop filled with cages with various dogs, cats, snakes, rats and probably other animals.  You can choose which one you want for dinner.  You walk upstairs and it's a beautiful restaurant, but you hear the dogs and cats below and your appetite vanishes.  Funny thing is, it's not a sleazy place.  It's considered very high-class and it's very expensive.  

1 hour ago, PotO said:

Unfortunately, no.

So I take it you don't live in a military housing apartment building? I knew they ate domesticated animals there. Yikes! Just wondering if there were some Chinese who had pets that they did NOT eat. The Asians in my neighborhood have foo-foo dogs with intricate grooming with the hair all fluffed out.

1 hour ago, StarkRaven$ said:

So I take it you don't live in a military housing apartment building? I knew they ate domesticated animals there. Yikes! Just wondering if there were some Chinese who had pets that they did NOT eat. The Asians in my neighborhood have foo-foo dogs with intricate grooming with the hair all fluffed out.

There is no military housing here.  There are only four of us in the whole country, plus about 2 dozen enlisted Marine security guards.  There is embassy housing that most will live in, although it's not required.  We My wife decided ordered that we should buy a house in order to launder / wash / clean invest her money and, not surprisingly, it has been an excellent investment.  

Those foo-foo dogs are soooo disgusting!  

I'd say in the large cities now very, very few of the official city residents will eat pets.  The imports from the smaller cities and countryside most certainly will.  That said, they will still eat birds and usually rats.  

On 11/15/2020 at 11:11 AM, PotO said:

OMG!  Did you get Indy's permission to post his picture here?  

[MOD: YOU KEEP MAKING COMMENTS LIKE THIS ABOUT STAFF AND YOU'LL FIND YOURSELF BACK IN QUARANTINE!!]

Actually, what Indy posted before he modified it was: "LISTEN YOU SONOFA*Admin and our Terms of Service prohibit profanity* YOU KEEP POSTING THINGS LIKE THIS AND YOU'LL FIND YOUR SORRY ASS BACK IN QUARANTINE!!! GOT IT???"

If anybody here has a sorry ass or is a sonofa*Admin and our Terms of Service prohibit profanity*, it's the person who wrote that statement.  Obviously they have a fragile ego, likely caused by their entire fooked up failed existence on this planet.  I'm assuming it wasn't Indy that wrote that because we all know a moderator wouldn't violate forum rules and write like that.  Someone must have hijacked it's account.