Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Verizon Visa is now one of my favorite cards

I just thought I'd give an update on the Verizon visa for those considering it.  Yes it's a Synchrony card, but I have to tell you, the 4% on groceries is really adding up for me. I have had three full rewards cycles at this point and I am averaging $55 dollars a month off of my Verizon bill from grocery shopping. I also get $10 a month off of the bill for a combination of paperless billing and some sort of weird $5 a month reward that Verizon gives out each month called "Verizon Up". So I am getting about $65 a month off of my bill, essentially cutting it in half each month.

I pay the card off in full each month, so I am not paying any interest.

Normally I wouldn't post about a credit card but I know people were debating this card and if you are a Verizon customer already like I am, this card can be a good deal. I use the card for all my non Whole Foods grocery shopping. I use my Chase Amazon card for my Whole Foods stuff (5% back).  

3 hours ago, lgt525 said:

I just thought I'd give an update on the Verizon visa for those considering it.  Yes it's a Synchrony card, but I have to tell you, the 4% on groceries is really adding up for me. I have had three full rewards cycles at this point and I am averaging $55 dollars a month off of my Verizon bill from grocery shopping. I also get $10 a month off of the bill for a combination of paperless billing and some sort of weird $5 a month reward that Verizon gives out each month called "Verizon Up". So I am getting about $65 a month off of my bill, essentially cutting it in half each month.

I pay the card off in full each month, so I am not paying any interest.

Normally I wouldn't post about a credit card but I know people were debating this card and if you are a Verizon customer already like I am, this card can be a good deal. I use the card for all my non Whole Foods grocery shopping. I use my Chase Amazon card for my Whole Foods stuff (5% back).  

enough groceries for a platoon! I'm glad it is working out for you. $1375 in groceries is >3 months in my world.

Sorry I posted this. I had no idea I would be made fun of for sharing info and data points. Consider me gone. I will ask the mods to remove the thread.

1 hour ago, lgt525 said:

Sorry I posted this. I had no idea I would be made fun of for sharing info and data points. Consider me gone. I will ask the mods to remove the thread.

who made fun of you? different people have different spending patterns. 😕

1 hour ago, lgt525 said:

No please don't leave. I read Hege's comment and I interpreted it as a compliment and useful post. I'm glad you posted it.

1 hour ago, StarkRaven$ said:

No please don't leave. I read Hege's comment and I interpreted it as a compliment and useful post. I'm glad you posted it.

I "liked" the post and said I was glad it was working out.

3 hours ago, lgt525 said:

Not at all. It was a perfectly good post and shows how certain cards can save a person a lot of money used wisely based on their spending.

I thought you gave some good data points.  Your original post was appreciated.  I will not delete your account.

Post your approval in credit pulls if you haven't already.

I thought more about my initial post in this thread. I really don't understand what was offensive. I'm sure people would be amazed at some the categories my spending concentrates within. Was it the "platoon" comment? @lgt525has been a member almost as long as I have so I'm sure she or he has seen us banter over the years.

In fact, I went back and revisited the benefits and rewards structure of the VZ card after reading the OP's post to see if the card would give me that kind of return and, as I concluded when it first rolled-out, the answer is no. For my spending the VZ card doesn't replace BCP. I have a small family and the "grocery" category is not useful in my world. Obviously it is useful and rewarding for the OP. Different people have different spending patterns.

This is not an apology as I did not say anything offensive. If others think I did, I hope they used the "report" button to get my ass chewed out in the event my comments were @PotO potty-mouth worthy and I'm clueless on how offensive I was.

I was merely amazed at the huge reward the OP was getting from the 4% category.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

I thought more about my initial post in this thread. I really don't understand what was offensive. I'm sure people would be amazed at some the categories my spending concentrates within. Was it the "platoon" comment? @lgt525has been a member almost as long as I have so I'm sure she or he has seen us banter over the years.

In fact, I went back and revisited the benefits and rewards structure of the VZ card after reading the OP's post to see if the card would give me that kind of return and, as I concluded when it first rolled-out, the answer is no. For my spending the VZ card doesn't replace BCP. I have a small family and the "grocery" category is not useful in my world. Obviously it is useful and rewarding for the OP. Different people have different spending patterns.

This is not an apology as I did not say anything offensive. If others think I did, I hope they used the "report" button to get my ass chewed out in the event my comments were @PotO potty-mouth worthy and I'm clueless on how offensive I was.

I was merely amazed at the huge reward the OP was getting from the 4% category.

I'm also surprised at spending $1,300 per month in groceries, but then there's nothing wrong with that.  You spend ten times that if you wish.   Maybe OP has a large family.   

I'm glad he likes the VZ card.  I considered applying for it, but after clobbering Stinkrony its best I let things cool down before going for another of their cards.

Hege, I never read anything offensive into your post at all.  Anybody who thinks it was offensive really needs to visit their physician and see about getting a new pair.  

2 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I blame any insult slinging on those fowl mouth African Grey Parrots from the London Zoo who signed up on CB's seeking advice on evictions. 😉

Another way to look at it is that the parrots live in two places simultaneously.  Physically, are still in the London Zoo.  At the same time they seem to live inside a fentanyl-laced brain.  That's about the only scientific reason I can think of why someone would find Hege's post insulting.  

22 hours ago, lgt525 said:

ltg ... speaking as a guy who's had one or two tussles over the years here, if you haven't already found encouragement to dip you toe back in the water here, let me offer yet another nudge.

Text, email, and message boards all suffer from presenting a limited dimensional message; it's difficult to get complete context in which something is extended every time.  As suggested by others, there no question that no foul here and you'll only find well wishers.

Now, on the other hand, if you post that you've acquired a credit card that pays 4% cb on McDonald's purchases, and you're thrilled to be generating $50+ in monthly cashback from it, don't be surprised if an intervention is organized ... ;)

Ok, I have had a few days to regroup and cool off 🙂

Here is the breakdown of my monthly Verizon card spending.

1. I spend about $150 a week on groceries including the 20% tip I leave for my Instacart shoppers. 

2. I spend $100 a week on food I buy for food bank donations. I hesitated to post this as I do NOT want my donations to be a political comment.

3. I spend about $200 a month at restaurants which get 3% on the Verizon card not 4%

4. I spend about $100 for bulk costco purchases which get the 4% back

5. For some reason my Verizon bill gets 2% even though they also give me strange 5 dollar credits each month towards the bill too. I am sure all of the money I am getting off my Verizon bill in strange credits are probably more than matched by strange line item bills on my monthly Verizon bill lol :D

That is how my totals were reached. If you do not approve of my spending habits, please feel free to enjoy your opinion in the privacy of your own home with my best wishes :)

FYI to those that told me to "grow a pair". I am a woman and really don't need "a pair" at this time. 🙂  If I am at any time considering gender fluidity in the future, this board will be the first to know. 🙂

Thanks for the clarification @hegemony You are still one of my favorites on this board 🙂

Glad you are still around. On interwebs its easy to misconstrue someones comments and at the same time, we should develop some thick skin too.

My thoughts - if the card is working for you, great. It might not work for others, then so be it.