Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Amex FICO Not Matching CCT FICO8

I applied for an AMEX BCE this morning. I follow my Experian FICO very closely through CCT. It rarely changes, but it will shift a few points here and there. Throughout all of August and September, I had been at 814. I only have one active credit card that I use, and the rest I closed (not smart, I know). I paid my last bill before the statement cut on September 30. As a result, in early October, my revolving balance was $0. This caused my score to drop 7 points to 807, which I've had happen in the past. I've been wanting to apply for the Amex BCE. I was going to wait until a balance was showing, but I was too impatient. I checked my report everyday this week and updated again this morning. Still at 807. I submitted my application and got an instant approval. On the paperwork, they said they used my Experian FICO which was 778. They say the range is 300-850, so it appears to be a normal model. Is it possible that this is FICO9 and not FICO8? I expected somewhat of a ding from the inquiry, but it's hard to believe it would hit me 29 points. This is the only inquiry on my report. Utilization is at 0%, no delinquency, lates, etc. I have a paid/closed HELOC and auto loan and various paid/closed credit cards. AAoA is 23 years.

I'll pull my CCT again tomorrow and see where I am. I keep fretting about it, but it really doesn't matter. They say that I didn't get the "best rate," but it's irrelevant to me (I pay in full each month and never revolve). My understanding is that the score on the Amex website is FICO8, but I was wondering if maybe they switched to FICO9 for new applications.

2 hours ago, cb55 said:

I only have one active credit card that I use

Is this also an Amex, or is it from another issuer?  My only theory so far is kind of lame, so I'm not ready to post it just yet.  ;) 

congrats on the approval!!!

unless the fico generated for the app AND the CCT fico were calculated on the same day (perhaps hour) with the same model I would expect there to be some variation. That said, 778 or 807 is not statistically significantly different.

Remember ALSO that AXP is known for actually using internal models for approvals as opposed to one of the Fair Isaac options...this is why you see some with low-600's who get cards with AXP while an upper-700's applicant may be declined. 

Hege nails it though...unless the scores were from the exact same model using the exact same data, differences SHOULD be expected.

As previously mentioned, AMEX uses proprietary scoring and they don't publicly discuss it.

FICO has numerous versions in use, from FICO 2 that was released almost 20 years ago to FICO 10 released this year. They have auto lending versions, credit card versions, mortgage versions, insurance versions, non-traditional customer versions, etc. of each variant.