Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Identity Theft Saga Begins..

In a recent post I made I had 3 soft inquiries from Verizon that turned out to be identity theft.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/623562-soft-pull-permissible-purpose-question/

Today I received a call from a detective in Smyrna, GA. a suburb of Atlanta, 5 hours away from where I live.

Before I gave him any personal info I called him back on their listed number to insure it was not further perpetuation of the fraud.

The office informed me that my id may have been used multiple ways but could not give specifics until after the

investigation was more complete.

I do have a membership with myflako. I contacted their id restoration team. That interaction was subprime to say the least.

It made me think what would it be like if NFCU and Pen Fed joined forces and bought Discovery and Credit one in a package deal.

Needless to say after that intake process with myflako I am not confident that they will be able to get things solved.

The officer mentioned tax returns, unemployment and credit accounts but would not give details. Tax refund theft is a joke,

it could never happen under my SSN. Credit is locked down now. Which leaves fraudulent UI claim. I am am not paid wages.

However I am not sure how the bonus $600 from the Fed worked as it was also available to non traditional employees. I would

have qualified for that, but my business has tripled through Covid. 

I will reach out in the am to state UI and see if they can give me direction if I can get through..

1 hour ago, pandmel said:

The officer mentioned tax returns, unemployment and credit accounts but would not give details.

Use of your SS# may not be limited to YOUR tax refund.  Someone may be using your identity for themselves on multiple levels because they are here illegally.  They don't just use your SS# to steal YOUR potential refund but the one they earned from their wages using your number to get the job.  

If this is what they are doing this could be very difficult to unravel and stop. For some who were victims it took YEARS to stop it.

Probably worth noting that soft pulls don't show up on MyFico reports.

Good on the OP that he was monitoring those.

I'm surprised and impressed the law enforcement is investigating. This is an indication they may be looking at a network of fraudsters, not just an individual. Getting a cell phone account using someone else's name is often a first step to other takeovers. Especially email accounts then possibly bank accounts. People should implement two factor authentication on any email accounts they use. This will slow or stop email takeovers.

Please read Krebs' discussion of the myriad ways email takeover can result in a whole lot of pain.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/06/the-value-of-a-hacked-email-account/

Edited by cashnocredit
added ref to krebs

2 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

People should implement two factor authentication on any email accounts they use. This will slow or stop email takeovers.

my isp doesn't do two-factor. I've been switching everything to a provider that does but >20 years of using the same email means there is a lot of sunk costs. someone needs to invent a service that does this for someone.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

my isp doesn't do two-factor. I've been switching everything to a provider that does but >20 years of using the same email means there is a lot of sunk costs. someone needs to invent a service that does this for someone.

You can use google mail as a pop client to check that account and move financial - sensitive based email interaction to your shiny new account.

1 hour ago, pandmel said:

You can use google mail as a pop client to check that account and move financial - sensitive based email interaction to your shiny new account.

thanks!

ETA: the google says: Gmailify is not available for this provider.

EATA: I think I figured it out and I didn't need to call my 15 year old nephew!

Edited by hegemony

I definitely understand your frustration. I have a former relative who has been stealing my identity on and off for years. It's not just painful on an emotional level, it is also extremely difficult to deal with sometimes. I can't get phone service with AT&T or TMobile because this person used my name there. And that's after I reported the ID theft to both places and they wiped out the fraudulent accounts. I will say it is a good sign that the police are investigating.

Last time this happened to me, I found out because I received a collection letter in the mail about the TMobile bill that was unpaid, which was the first I had ever heard anything. Well. I immediately reported it to the police and gave them the address of the person who did it, which I got from TMobile. They said they couldn't do anything because the address did not prove who stole my identity, which was pretty annoying. I did get the collection agency to go away and got it off my credit, but I have kept everything, and I mean everything, frozen since then.

1 hour ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

I definitely understand your frustration. I have a former relative who has been stealing my identity on and off for years. It's not just painful on an emotional level, it is also extremely difficult to deal with sometimes. I can't get phone service with AT&T or TMobile because this person used my name there. And that's after I reported the ID theft to both places and they wiped out the fraudulent accounts. I will say it is a good sign that the police are investigating.

Last time this happened to me, I found out because I received a collection letter in the mail about the TMobile bill that was unpaid, which was the first I had ever heard anything. Well. I immediately reported it to the police and gave them the address of the person who did it, which I got from TMobile. They said they couldn't do anything because the address did not prove who stole my identity, which was pretty annoying. I did get the collection agency to go away and got it off my credit, but I have kept everything, and I mean everything, frozen since then.

I froze my son's credit reports for the same reason. Same person who used my son's soc sec number to get cable also his baby mama has been collecting unemployment and hasn't worked in over four years. 

4 hours ago, pandmel said:

It gets better...

Best buy credit card, the visa, was compromised as well. Over $1800 in charges. This may be a separate incident as

I am unable to locate my card.

Hey! Keep track of your cards. Who else has or had access?

Time to make sure you have possession of all your other credit/debit cards. It's unusual for a card to go missing at the same time the card is compromised unless the actual card was used for the unauthorized purchase. This may, or may not be connected to the Verizon softs.

Rough story, but sounds like a great reminder to everyone to keep your credit frozen when you have no need to apply to new accounts/cards/loans.

Do you live in Smyrna, Georgia or elsewhere? Did you specifically file two ID theft reports for yourself with the local Police and the Federal Trade Commission? 

1 hour ago, insolent1 said:

Do you live in Smyrna, Georgia or elsewhere? No I live 5 hours south

Did you specifically file two ID theft reports for yourself with the local Police and the Federal Trade Commission? Not with FTC yet.. Looking into that ..

The saga continues..

Another card was compromised, a debit card is missing but not used and a state ID card. This was discovered when I took the time to go through every possible account and card.

Multiple charges in Dayton Beach FL. I live in Coastal Georgia. DB is 2.5 hours away.

Called DBPD and was advised since I was not there I needed to call my local PD to make a report for the compromised credit cards.

Local PD refused to make a report and said I needed to contact Daytona PD as I was in Daytona last weekend and charges were over this past week.

Had local police call DBPD to reach a consensus. Both departments made reports and have case numbers x 2...

Transactions on my Chitty bank account are no longer visible when I log in on other card a CU visa I can still see charges, DB cop acted like I was trying to hide something..

Now I have cancelled every credit card and debit card in all family members names at my residence. My DW's, my 19 yo aspergian son's, my 15 yo son's and mine. Each and every one.

This is a giant cluster fook. 

I remember at time in my life this would have been major drama. The steps to fix this mess is wearisome and not an emotional roller coaster. 

Edited by pandmel

3 hours ago, pandmel said:

The saga continues..

Another card was compromised, a debit card is missing but not used and a state ID card. This was discovered when I took the time to go through every possible account and card.

Multiple charges in Dayton Beach FL. I live in Coastal Georgia. DB is 2.5 hours away.

Called DBPD and was advised since I was not there I needed to call my local PD to make a report for the compromised credit cards.

Local PD refused to make a report and said I needed to contact Daytona PD as I was in Daytona last weekend and charges were over this past week.

Had local police call DBPD to reach a consensus. Both departments made reports and have case numbers x 2...

Transactions on my Chitty bank account are no longer visible when I log in on other card a CU visa I can still see charges, DB cop acted like I was trying to hide something..

Now I have cancelled every credit card and debit card in all family members names at my residence. My DW's, my 19 yo aspergian son's, my 15 yo son's and mine. Each and every one.

This is a giant cluster fook. 

I remember at time in my life this would have been major drama. The steps to fix this mess is wearisome and not an emotional roller coaster. 

Can you think of any disreputable family member?  How can these items just disappear?

Did you stay in a hotel while in Daytona? If so, did you leave your wallet in the room when you went out?

6 hours ago, PotO said:

Can you think of any disreputable family member?  How can these items just disappear?

They have someone in custody in Cobb County GA, near Atlanta, that I do know know.

I do believe it was lifted from me in Daytona at the hotel. What is even more interesting than that

is that I had a substantial amount of cash, almost 3 straps, and none of it went missing. 

I only went to three places while in Daytona. Poker room, hotel and nicer restaurant. Wallet was left

in room when I went to eat. Cash was hidden in room under box spring. Nothing appeared disturbed in

room when I returned, however I was very tired after a 16 hour PLO session.

Edited by pandmel

20 hours ago, pandmel said:

They have someone in custody in Cobb County GA, near Atlanta, that I do know know.

I do believe it was lifted from me in Daytona at the hotel. What is even more interesting than that

is that I had a substantial amount of cash, almost 3 straps, and none of it went missing. 

I only went to three places while in Daytona. Poker room, hotel and nicer restaurant. Wallet was left

in room when I went to eat. Cash was hidden in room under box spring. Nothing appeared disturbed in

room when I returned, however I was very tired after a 16 hour PLO session.

At least the mystery of how this happened has been solved. 
Hopefully the police are able to show in their report that it was a hotel employee that stole from you. With that information, perhaps contact hotel management (or corporate if they are part of a chain) and demand that they cover any costs you may incur.