Infiniti Fraudulent Reporting

608bab61ca1d73b45de897d7441c9658.jpg

I have a question about how to best proceed against Infiniti Finance.

I had a leased vehicle and the lease terminated in Jan 2016. Lease was under mileage and in perfect condition.

There were no issues with lease termination. Fast forward to 2018. Infiniti started reporting that it was a full termination Lease with a balance owing of $3300.

I did not become aware of this until about 6 months ago.

Infiniti is reporting this as an open account. I disputed twice and they verified twice.

So I called the number on the credit bureau reporting and it connected me to Infiniti. They told me they had no information about the debt and it had been handed to a collection agency some time ago. They gave me another department at Infiniti to contact. I have not yet contacted them. I want communication at this point to be in writing.

So the credit reporting is being made by Infiniti, not a collection agency.

This is not reported as a collection account but an open account.

Infiniti could not even tell me what vehicle this was regarding (I have financed 3 through them).

I have suffered actual damages from this reporting as I was initially denied an auto loan and then offered less favorable interest rates because they are reporting this as an open debt.

I have been advised informally by a friend/attorney that this is fraudulent reporting and I should file a police report and a complaint with the BBB. I asked if I should first contact someone at Infiniti and give them an opportunity to fix the problem.

My question to members is this:

How egregious are their actions? How much are they caught by the short and curly hairs? And who should I contact at Infiniti to demand resolution?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is zero info in your screenshot to support what's in your comments.  

While the account may still appear to be open, at least the most recent payments are showing OK or not reported, which at worst should be neutral.  

How does this TL look on your paper reports that you received via US Mail?

Your lawyer friend doesn't know what he's talking about. (Most do not where consumer law is concerned) Read the FCRA; credit reporting is not characterized in the statute as fraudulent; the only use of the term in the Act (44 times) refers strictly to identity theft / fraud alerts. 

I have suffered actual damages from this reporting as I was initially denied an auto loan and then offered less favorable interest rates because they are reporting this as an open debt.

That does not fit the definition of actual damages, unless you took the loan because you had no other choice and actually paid money out of pocket. Offers do not constitute a monetary loss.

......................I should file a police report and a complaint with the BBB. 

No police report unless your identity was stolen. The BBB has no legal authority over anyone; don't waste a stamp. The FCRA is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission. You need all the docs from the lease termination. Also, stop playing mystery man and tell us where you live. This dates from Feb 2016; it could be past the statute of limitations.