POS CHANGES!!!!!! COVID-19 Is Changing Consumer Behavior At The Point-Of-Sale

3 hours ago, Burdell said:

Same here. I'm not sure you can but a passport holder that isn't RFID shielded anymore. Most wallets are too these days. I wanted to try one of those micro wallets. Had it now for several years, and I love it. I don't think I will ever go back to the traditional leather bifold or trifold models.

I have to agree with you 100% on all counts.  

There's an advertiser that pops up here on CB every so often called Bellroy.  They make an assortment of micro wallets and they are simply great.  I have one that on one side has a window for my ID card.  The other side has two slots for two credit cards.  In the center I have a driver license and a spare CC and a $20 bill -- just in case -- that hasn't been touched in over two years.  I will never go back to traditional wallets.  Never.  

• 4 weeks later...

5 hours ago, Burdell said:

I imagine it will work much the same way as it does at pay-at-the-pump service stations. 

I've seen more ATMs with the contactless icon (like Wells Fargo).  Of course, you still need to enter your PIN.  I've seen more vending machines that way too.  

This year, more U.S. banks have got the memo.  More of my cards have been renewed that are also contactless.  When I went to the doctor last month, the staff at the front desk asked me to do contactless for the co-pay, if my card supported it.  I used my Citibank AAdvantage MasterCard, that they recently sent me a replacement a year before my other card expired, as it's now contactless.  

9 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

I've seen more ATMs with the contactless icon (like Wells Fargo).  Of course, you still need to enter your PIN.  I've seen more vending machines that way too.  

What is the use of contactless if you still have to key in a PIN?

A large portion of the whole contactless fad is just psycho-babble, mumbo-jumbo b.s. designed to create good PR for the credit card companies and, sad to say, a large percentage of brainless twits are falling for it.

I can see at the gas pump where there's a better than average chance someone has installed a skimmer or at a drive-thru where you actually have to hand your card to the cashier, but at CVS and many other merchants you just stick the chipped end of your card into a POS.  What, precisely, is the COVID-19 risk in that?

2 hours ago, PotO said:

A large portion of the whole contactless fad is just psycho-babble, mumbo-jumbo b.s. designed to create good PR for the credit card companies and, sad to say, a large percentage of brainless twits are falling for it.

I can see at the gas pump where there's a better than average chance someone has installed a skimmer or at a drive-thru where you actually have to hand your card to the cashier, but at CVS and many other merchants you just stick the chipped end of your card into a POS.  What, precisely, is the COVID-19 risk in that?

Exactly. I use my debit and I still have to enter debit or credit. Some ask if I want all on this card and some want my zip code.

11 hours ago, PotO said:

In my own experience, the PIN I've only entered with contactless at an ATM (withdrawing cash). No PIN yet buying something at the grocery store contactless.