Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Free UBER for ME but not for THEE

Odd. I would think paying for an Uber for going to/from work is taxable. Different from salesmen that drive a lot. They either get a company car or miles reimbursement for the sales travel, whichever is cheaper for the biz. But travel to/from work is on their own dime. At least that's how I recall it worked.

10 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Odd. I would think paying for an Uber for going to/from work is taxable. Different from salesmen that drive a lot. They either get a company car or miles reimbursement for the sales travel, whichever is cheaper for the biz. But travel to/from work is on their own dime. At least that's how I recall it worked.

The IRS put in provisions that permit employers to reimburse employees for commuting expense, where the expenses are deductible by the company but not taxable to the employee.

When Bev started her job in Boston last year, I was floored to learn that she was eligible for reimbursement (tax exempt) of up to $500+ in monthly in combined transit and parking expense reimbursement (the company reimburses higher eligible costs, but anything over the $500 cap is taxable).

We had assumed that we'd be on the hook for parking and ferry from the South Shore.  Learning of the available reimbursement program was a HUGE gimme!

(Note:  My grasp of the IRS definition of eligible commuting expense includes public/shared transportation.  Booking a true Uber "share" ride would likely be eligible; booking a private ride wouldn't.)

Edited by hdporter