Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Equifax deleted address not actually deleted.

Equifax has performed an investigation on an address on my report and resolved it as "deleted" but it has not been removed from my report. The address is not tied to any reporting trade lines, it is not a valid address at all. EQ investigates and says they'll delete, then they don't delete.

I've successfully removed it from TU and EX but I cannot get it removed from EX. Some time last year I called them and spoke with different CSRs who started an investigation and seemed to believe it would be deleted, but it never was.

In June I sent a letter and received an investigation report that marked the address as "deleted", but it has not yet been deleted. Given my experience with EQ CSRs in the past, I don't believe calling them is going to do any good.

My current plan is to send a follow up letter CMRR, with a copy of their own investigation and request a deletion in 14 days or else...

...or else what? Does anyone have any suggestions?

centex: I've been checking on the Equifax website where I have a paid account to monitor, so no paper copy, but I got a response in June saying status "deleted" but it never did disapper.

CreditCurious20: It never seemed to go away and come back. I can't find an account associated with the address. The address is a mystery. All my accounts are associated with my real address which has been the same for five years or so. It is marked as last reported in 2010.

Thank you for your help. Hope I answered your questions appropriately.

2 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

I have had this issue too. They send the paper results in the mail and it doesn't come off my report. I've disputed multiple times, but it is still on there. It seems to be another example of Equifax not having their technology situation figured out IMO.

Or Equifax not caring.

Edited by CreditCurious20
word choice

Yeah, it just seems like they don't have any real reason not to remove it, just that its not happening and they don't care.

What can I use for the or else? Any suggestions? CFPB complaint or small claims court? I've seen some strongly worded letters in these boards about FCRA.

Any suggestions on what sort of specific consequences I could add to a letter would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, harryfpotter said:

centex: I've been checking on the Equifax website where I have a paid account to monitor, so no paper copy, but I got a response in June saying status "deleted" but it never did disapper.

Online reports don't matter and will be laughed out of court if you DID file.  You NEED paper reports before taking ANY sort of action, but this is even MORE a truism with respect to any contemplation of litigation.  Further, unless you cannot absolutely rule out that a third-party purchaser with out-of-stat paper has not reviewed your report with respect to an address in question, then you are even more hamstrung.

Right now, you are in the hallway leading to the dugout but are NOWHERE near ready to take the field...

centex: I do have hard copies of my reports. I'm only using the online report to check that it goes away. I also did the removal request by mail and have a hard copy of a their investigation which says the address is deleted. In my next letter I will ask for them to provide the source of the address.

hegemony: I'm sorry for not being clear, or sounding foolish. I've no damages. I don't imagine I'll sue Equifax and become rich. I just want to trigger the internal decision tree that says; it is cheaper to spend the fifteen minutes now to escalate this record deletion to tech support than two hours to respond to an official complaint to the CFPB, small claims court, a letter from his mommy, whatever. I just can't imagine what to do to raise the stakes, just to the point where they take a second look, when the stakes are so low.

Maybe the letter above has the right sorts of words in it. I'm leaning toward sending a letter like that CMRR and then trying a CFPB complaint.

I'm curious what the problem with address is if it is not tied to any derogatory accounts. Perhaps it is being furnished by some entity softing your reports? ETA: as if that is the case, then the problem isn't EQ.

Edited by hegemony

Is this an address tied to ANY inquiry on the report?  Could you attest and affirm under oath that you have never used that address?  How did the address reach your report? 

And, I will reiterate...online is NOT a valid source for anything.  You NEED paper reports if you want something definitive.