Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Medical bill - insurance didn't pay in full

I have a collections account that just popped up from Professional Finance Company. The debt is valid, per my research. It is a balance remaining after my insurance paid. I haven't gotten anything about the debt, just the alert that it was reported. I have an option through my insurance provider website to pay the balance. Can I remit payment via the insurance company and then send for validation with the CA? I could literally drive to the doctor's office and pay the bill, but I think it coming direct from the insurance company might force a deletion because the insurance would be paying it on my behalf?

I'm trying to get this done the quickest way possible, and they can't refuse the payment if the insurance company sends it. It's a very minimal amount, so I'm not sure if I should even pay it, as I don't know if Professional Finance is an actual collection agency or JDB. I guess I could call and ask the doctor's office if they sold off the debt. It's been over a year since the date of service. I'm unsure how to handle it, but it dinged my score for close to 50 points. Any insight on this one?

1 hour ago, txsmiles said:

I have a collections account that just popped up from Professional Finance Company. The debt is valid, per my research. It is a balance remaining after my insurance paid. I haven't gotten anything about the debt, just the alert that it was reported. I have an option through my insurance provider website to pay the balance. Can I remit payment via the insurance company and then send for validation with the CA? I could literally drive to the doctor's office and pay the bill, but I think it coming direct from the insurance company might force a deletion because the insurance would be paying it on my behalf?

I'm trying to get this done the quickest way possible, and they can't refuse the payment if the insurance company sends it. It's a very minimal amount, so I'm not sure if I should even pay it, as I don't know if Professional Finance is an actual collection agency or JDB. I guess I could call and ask the doctor's office if they sold off the debt. It's been over a year since the date of service. I'm unsure how to handle it, but it dinged my score for close to 50 points. Any insight on this one?

Please remain patient while WhyChat helps you. If you go online and pay it, it STILL will remain on your credit report. If the original creditor would agree to deleting the negative on your credit report you need to get that in writing. So, again, wait for WhyChat to advise you.

Do you have a statement from your insurance Co ( an EOMB) that shows what was billed, what was allowed, what was paid and what amount remains as your obligation??

If so, what is the REASON for the balance showing as due?? Is this your deductible?? I am not familiar with any process where the deductible or co-pay balance can be paid to the medical provider by the insurance Co through the insurance Co website. IF this is a valid way of paying the OC medical provider and you have confirmed that payment will be made directly by your insurance Co to the OC, then go ahead, otherwise NOT.

The easiest way to make sure that this is deleted from your credit reports is to pay the medical provider directly with either CASH getting a cash receipt or with debit card at their office. NOT a personal check. Or you could pay using this abridged letter by BANK MONEY ORDER (same as cash)

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html ( FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FOR THE PAYMENT)

Please make sure that your payment is in the form of a bank cashiers check or bank money order,(do not use a postal money order). THIS IS CONSIDERED THE SAME AS A CASH PAYMENT, that you make a photo copy of the front and back of the remittance, that your name and address are CLEARLY printed on the remittance, that it is made to the order of THE ORIGINAL HEALTH CARE PROVIDER, and that you print or type clearly in the endorsement section "For Deposit Only to the Account of (name of H.C. provider)

(Your Name)
(address)
(City,State, zip)
s.s.# (social security #)
( health care provider creditor)
(address)
(date)
Dear Sir/Madam;
This letter is in reference to (account #) for services provided to (name of patient) on (date of service).
In regard to the bill on this account in the amount of ($___):
Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of this account.

Please note, my remittance is payable ONLY to (hc provider) and may not be signed over or transferred to any third party collection agency, as this would constitute a violation of HIPAA privacy rules

Your furnishing of my account information to (collection agency name), is not in compliance with HIPAA s Privacy Act, and any subsequent reporting of this account on my credit reports to (credit reporting bureaus) is a clear violation of Public Law 104-191 ("HIPAA") since there can be no permissible business purpose in divulging protected health information to anyone on an account once there is no longer any payment due.In addition the new Omnibus Final Rule states:when patients pay out of pocket in full, they can instruct their provider to refrain from sharing information.This letter serves as that instruction

Therefore I am requesting you promptly rescind all such account information furnished to (collection agency) and require them to purge their records of all reference to this account, and that you insure that any and all reporting of this account is immediately deleted from my credit reports.
Sincerely,
signature
(Your Name)

You should also consider opting out and getting all your REAL credit reports and send this dispute letter to the CRAs

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

in order to have a record for any future actions you may need to take such as disputing a "paid" collection.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

6 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Do you have a statement from your insurance Co ( an EOMB) that shows what was billed, what was allowed, what was paid and what amount remains as your obligation??

If so, what is the REASON for the balance showing as due?? Is this your deductible?? I am not familiar with any process where the deductible or co-pay balance can be paid to the medical provider by the insurance Co through the insurance Co website. IF this is a valid way of paying the OC medical provider and you have confirmed that payment will be made directly by your insurance Co to the OC, then go ahead, otherwise NOT.

The easiest way to make sure that this is deleted from your credit reports is to pay the medical provider directly with either CASH getting a cash receipt or with debit card at their office. NOT a personal check. Or you could pay using this abridged letter by BANK MONEY ORDER (same as cash)

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html ( FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FOR THE PAYMENT)

Please make sure that your payment is in the form of a bank cashiers check or bank money order,(do not use a postal money order). THIS IS CONSIDERED THE SAME AS A CASH PAYMENT, that you make a photo copy of the front and back of the remittance, that your name and address are CLEARLY printed on the remittance, that it is made to the order of THE ORIGINAL HEALTH CARE PROVIDER, and that you print or type clearly in the endorsement section "For Deposit Only to the Account of (name of H.C. provider)

(Your Name)
(address)
(City,State, zip)
s.s.# (social security #)
( health care provider creditor)
(address)
(date)
Dear Sir/Madam;
This letter is in reference to (account #) for services provided to (name of patient) on (date of service).
In regard to the bill on this account in the amount of ($___):
Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of this account.

Please note, my remittance is payable ONLY to (hc provider) and may not be signed over or transferred to any third party collection agency, as this would constitute a violation of HIPAA privacy rules

Your furnishing of my account information to (collection agency name), is not in compliance with HIPAA s Privacy Act, and any subsequent reporting of this account on my credit reports to (credit reporting bureaus) is a clear violation of Public Law 104-191 ("HIPAA") since there can be no permissible business purpose in divulging protected health information to anyone on an account once there is no longer any payment due.In addition the new Omnibus Final Rule states:when patients pay out of pocket in full, they can instruct their provider to refrain from sharing information.This letter serves as that instruction

Therefore I am requesting you promptly rescind all such account information furnished to (collection agency) and require them to purge their records of all reference to this account, and that you insure that any and all reporting of this account is immediately deleted from my credit reports.
Sincerely,
signature
(Your Name)

You should also consider opting out and getting all your REAL credit reports and send this dispute letter to the CRAs

in order to have a record for any future actions you may need to take such as disputing a "paid" collection.

I just pulled the EOB and the amount reflects my coinsurance. So, my deductible was paid, but I had a coinsurance amount remaining for my OOP maximum.

I ordered my paper reports last week, and my informed delivery shows them arriving today and tomorrow. I also did the opt-out last week. So, once I make copies of the reports, should I go ahead and send the CRA disputes anyway, before I do anything dealing with the OC? Should I call them and ask if they sold the debt or if it is still in their office? I don't want to mess up my chance for an easy delete. I had intended to send a DV to the collection agency regardless, because they haven't made contact other than reporting.

23 hours ago, txsmiles said:

If the payment comes from the insurance company so it looks like they paid it late, then the credit reporting agency will remove it.

2 hours ago, CreditCurious20 said:

If the payment comes from the insurance company so it looks like they paid it late, then the credit reporting agency will remove it.

I've actually done a little research on Professional Finance Company, and it seems that they are both a collection agency and debt buyer. Considering the amount of the debt and the fact that my doctor's office hasn't bothered to contact me since last year, when they needed to reconfirm my insurance information, I'm going to bet that the debt was sold. For the amount my doctor billed the insurance company, I couldn't see them paying to collect on the amount of debt. The fees involved might actually end up costing them money.

I'm going to send a Texas DV, and see what happens from there.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:23 PM, txsmiles said:

I just pulled the EOB and the amount reflects my coinsurance. So, my deductible was paid, but I had a coinsurance amount remaining for my OOP maximum.

I ordered my paper reports last week, and my informed delivery shows them arriving today and tomorrow. I also did the opt-out last week. So, once I make copies of the reports, should I go ahead and send the CRA disputes anyway, before I do anything dealing with the OC? Should I call them and ask if they sold the debt or if it is still in their office? I don't want to mess up my chance for an easy delete. I had intended to send a DV to the collection agency regardless, because they haven't made contact other than reporting.

Yes send the initial dispute letter from the program  ( the Tx DV might work but then if it doesn't you won't be able to use the HIPAA letter program) 

IMO the posts from "creditcurious20" are counter productive and designed to sabotage the use of the HIPAA letter program