Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

When does the clock start ticking on the 7 year reporting period for a medical debt?

I have a collection of $650.00 stemming from a card accident on May 21st, 2014 that was supposed to be paid via insurance.  It is on TU only and listed as "on report until 12/2021" .  What anniversary is that?  

Thank you.

1 hour ago, pacemaker67 said:

When does the clock start ticking on the 7 year reporting period for a medical debt?

I have a collection of $650.00 stemming from a card accident on May 21st, 2014 that was supposed to be paid via insurance.  It is on TU only and listed as "on report until 12/2021" .  What anniversary is that?  The month and year it drops off your credit report.

Thank you.

15 U.S.C. 1681c:

(c)Running of reporting period

(1)In general

The 7-year period referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6) of subsection (a) shall begin, with respect to any delinquent account that is placed for collection (internally or by referral to a third party, whichever is earlier), charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action, upon the expiration of the 180-day period beginning on the date of the commencement of the delinquency which immediately preceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, or similar action.

1 hour ago, CreditCurious20 said:

15 U.S.C. 1681c:

(c)Running of reporting period

(1)In general

The 7-year period referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6) of subsection (a) shall begin, with respect to any delinquent account that is placed for collection (internally or by referral to a third party, whichever is earlier), charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action, upon the expiration of the 180-day period beginning on the date of the commencement of the delinquency which immediately preceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, or similar action.

So that means their removal date seems somewhat correct then?  It seems to be 7 or so months after the emergency room visit.  

The 7 year reporting period is usually easily shortened by proper disputing. Since this account is only on 1 report it could easily be deleted.

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

You can easily get a deletion of this account from your TU report by sending this to TU

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

On 9/14/2020 at 1:01 PM, pacemaker67 said:

So that means their removal date seems somewhat correct then?  It seems to be 7 or so months after the emergency room visit.  

I'm sorry I missed this. It is 7 years + 180 days immediately preceding collection activity is what the FCRA provides.  With that said, this is the maximum period of time that an item may be reported. It could be deleted earlier. If it is particularly old debt as this appears to be and the trade line is old, the collection company may no longer have the account and won't be able validate it in response to a FCRA dispute.  There are various other methods here and across the web looking for loopholes to exploit for deleting old collection accounts. You could try some of those. 

Edited by CreditCurious20