Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Advice on how to handle known bogus debt collection

Been a few years since my last post.  Tried to do a search but LDR didn't come up and wasn't sure how to be specific.  

So I have been getting calls on my cell phone where the caller leaves a voicemail saying the call is "solely for <my wife, but her maiden name>" and they are from something called "Local Data Recovery Group".  They state that there is some contract that she is not living up to and failure to respond will result in them having to "report it to <county my wife hasn't lived in over 7 years>."  These people are also calling her mother and leaving the same voicemail.  

I know this is bogus because any debt she had while living there is paid and WAY out of the SOL, anyways, her credit is clean and over 800, with only student loans, her car lease, and one credit card all current.  Her credit has also been frozen for 3-4 years except for when we got that car lease and that was for 2 days. 

My initial instinct is to block the number on my phone and ignore this, but I'm concerned that may not be the right plan.  I've always been told not to interact with debt collection agencies, but to go to the original creditor and ask for written validation.  But in this case we have no idea who that could be because they don't say in the voicemails.   I really don't want her to call these people, and even following a script, accidentally trip come kind of SOL reset or acknowledgement, especially because a quick google search of these folks come up as a scammy as all get out.  I guess I could send them a validation request letter to the Georgia address on a website of theirs I found (but they called me from a local number, spoofed?) , but I really don't want to go to the post office during COVID, and they also have a habit of not bothering to scan trackable pieces of mail.  Also that is a lot of work to deal with a scam with no teeth.  

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Edit:  There was a collections issue that my wife had, and paid multiple times (she was young and didn't know better), but the last payment that should have closed the issue was before 2013, and the SOL for this state is either 3 or 6 years depending on the account type.  That, and the fact she hasn't lived in the county that they are going to "report her to" since 2012 is why I stated above any issues were out of the SOL.

Edited by rocketbear79
Some background

It is likely a scam, but even if it is an attempt to collect a debt from a "legitimate" CA, it is long past the statute of limitations and the 7 year FCRA reporting window. I would block the number and move on.  If they continue to harass you after that, you could always send a cease and desist letter and sue if they continue to harass you after that. 

Edited by CreditCurious20

1 hour ago, CreditCurious20 said:

It is likely a scam, but even if it is an attempt to collect a debt from a "legitimate" CA, it is long past the statute of limitations and the 7 year FCRA reporting window. I would block the number and move on.  If they continue to harass you after that, you could always send a cease and desist letter and sue if they continue to harass you after that. 

Thanks!   Sometimes it's good to hear that your instincts were correct.  Appreciate it.  

You might want to call LDR in GA and ask them if they have been calling you. Somebody may be spoofing you using their identity. If that's the case, just block them, it's probably some outfit you'll never find. Even if you do, it would be a waste of time trying to sue a ghost.

A threat to report a debt, on which the SOL has run, to a governmental agency smacks (to me) of a FDCPA violation.  (fwiw)

A worthwhile read is the FTC Consumer Information write-up on debt collection:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/debt-collection-faqs

If you merely want to stop the phone harassment, then send them a request to discontinue contact.

2 hours ago, legaleagle2012 said:

You might want to call LDR in GA and ask them if they have been calling you. Somebody may be spoofing you using their identity. If that's the case, just block them, it's probably some outfit you'll never find. Even if you do, it would be a waste of time trying to sue a ghost.

That didn't cross my mind.  It definitely could be the case though. 

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

A threat to report a debt, on which the SOL has run, to a governmental agency smacks (to me) of a FDCPA violation.  (fwiw)

A worthwhile read is the FTC Consumer Information write-up on debt collection:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/debt-collection-faqs

If you merely want to stop the phone harassment, then send them a request to discontinue contact.

Oh yeah, also I think calling family members multiple times is too (though that article says "usually" so I don't know what that means).  If what eagle said above is true though, LDR won't be held responsible.  Is the scumbag debt collection lobby really that strong that we can't get some draconian laws passed to deal with these jerks?

The laws are already in place; scammers don't pay any attention to them. These are usually boiler room operations run out of Buffalo NY. They use burner cell phones and hope somebody will be stupid enough to send them money; they usually want Green Dot, Cashapp, things like that. You'll never find them, and if you do they have no assets.