Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Collections company threatening to sue. Help

Ok, so thanks to advice from this forum I have since caught up and taken care of the majority of my debt. There is one account that I just completly missed and is in collections and I received a call that legal action will be taken and I will be served for garnishment/judgement. She said she was a courier. They don’t have my correct address and I didn’t give them my new one because I wanted to gather information first To make sure it was legit. On the phone I mentioned to send me a debt verification. She said she would email it. Never sent of course. She gave me a number to call to take care of it and to get the information I need. On my CR it said I had a limit of 300 and the last reported (High) balance in 2019 (nov) was 639. If I call collections and take care of it, will the attempt to serve me stop right away? How much should I offer to take care of it if I want to try to settle for a fraction. I really want to try to squash this as quickly as possible and I’ve read to submit in writing but I feel I shouldn’t wait. Any assistance if helpful. Thank you. 

Small Edit/update: Just called collections and the girl was generally very nice about everything. I didn’t confirm it was mine but she explained that the “courier” was just trying to rush things along and that I could setup an arrangement/pay in full etc. She is emailing the debt verification. Should I offer a settle/pay for delete and how much should I offer?

Edited by ThePerfectPlex

what is the SOL for this debt? and have you reviewed PAPER copies of your reports? "last reported high balance" means nothing.

generally if someone is going to sue they DO NOT call. CALLING and threatening suit is SOP for scumbag JDBs. But first you need to figure out the DOFD and the SOL.

what is the name of the company?

What is the DOFD? I am in California. The company for collections is Intergrated Capital Recovery. The offered 400 to settle. I asked for pay for delete and paid in full letter but she said she would send it after its paid. I assumed they can always send it prior. The “courier” said it she was being sent by the state.

Legitimate process servers almost never call ahead and announce their impending arrivals. You are being pressured into making a payment. 

DOFD = Date Of First Delinquency. 

How can I truly find out if its real though? Date of first delinquency is June of 2019. The “courier” also calls from an anonymous number. 

Edited by ThePerfectPlex

If you work for someone else, as most people do, your employer will get served for the garnishment. You would be informed after the fact and when it is in place. 

California’s main debt collection law is the Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (the “Rosenthal Act”). (Cal. Civ. Code §§ 1788 to 1788.33).