Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Valid Debt - Pay Collection Agency?

I received a letter from CA stating I owe them money.   I realized that I totally forgot to pay the hospital from many years ago.   This is a valid debt in my opinion. 

It is NOT being reported on my Credit Report. 

Question:  should i pay the hospital or the collection agency? 

I called the hospital and they said I should pay the agency. 

1 hour ago, Why Chat said:

How many years ago?? 

If it is not being reported then the account is NOT valid and you are being scammed by a JDB (junk debt buyer).

You should NOT pay anyone anything.

Follow the guide;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

opting out will help you get rid of scam artists

Okay i totally get you and owe you so much your guide over the years...  but, here is the thing, it "is valid".  Meaning, I went to this hospital and I never paid.  

it is from 2 years ago. 

Now i guess the tricky part is: is there a possibility it shows up on my CR at a later time? 

I WANT to pay this and be done with it. its only $100.   What is my best course of action?

12 hours ago, cayenne919 said:

Okay i totally get you and owe you so much your guide over the years...  but, here is the thing, it "is valid".  Meaning, I went to this hospital and I never paid.  

it is from 2 years ago. 

Now i guess the tricky part is: is there a possibility it shows up on my CR at a later time? 

I WANT to pay this and be done with it. its only $100.   What is my best course of action?

Call the hospital and confirm that the CA legitimately represents the creditor and that the amount is legitimate. Look at your insurance EOB and the bill to confirm there are no errors.  If it is legitimate, try to settle with the original creditor for 50-80% with the stipulation that the account be recalled from the CA without any credit reporting first.  They may insist you negotiate through the CA which you could offer the same.  Then you could put the entire ordeal behind you.  

P.S. Not all medical CA are junk debt buyers.

Edited: I didn't see the last line. If the hospital told you to go through the CA do it.

Edited by CreditCurious20

12 hours ago, Why Chat said:

If it is not being reported then the account is NOT valid and you are being scammed by a JDB (junk debt buyer).

You should NOT pay anyone anything.

Follow the guide;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

I have received legitimate medical collection letters from over looked hospital bills over the years that were not reported on my credit report. I confirmed with the hospital that the CA was legitimate. The large health system expressly told me they still owned the debt and it wasn't a JDB. I asked. While true in some cases, I don't think it is fair to assume that all are JDBs or scam artists.

The simplest way to resolve this is to follow the guides.

No matter what you THINK about the validity of the account and despite the "advice" from "CreditCurious" if you want to make sure the account is properly paid to the OC .

If you are SURE that the amount is correct and it matches what your EOMB says then pay the OC with the HIPAA letter insert "a".

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

HOWEVER!! unless you are in Mass. which doesn't allow reporting of medical debt, the fact that it is not reporting is a sure sign that the CA who contacted you may NOT be the SAME CA that the OC identified. Hospital billing offices are notorious for giving stock answers.

OR you can just pay the OC by  debit card on line or by phone. That way you will have a record of direct payment to the OC

Sorry to intervene but just a quick follow up Why Chat please, Regarding this statement, "you can just pay the OC by  debit card on line or by phone. That way you will have a record of direct payment to the OC" What about if I want to ask the OC for a discount or payment plan? I went through your program and it is amazing thank you. The insert A section only refers to Full Amount or a less amount based on the charts but I feel it is not fair for the hospital to give my insurance with a 8500$ discount and bill me 500$ (Total Bill 9000).

Thank you

Sorry, one more question as I just re-read the first sentence. "The simplest way to resolve this is to follow the guides.

No matter what you THINK about the validity of the account and despite the "advice" from "CreditCurious" if you want to make sure the account is properly paid to the OC"

So, even If I'm sure that the account is correct, I still have to go with initial dispute letter first for the program to work and records get deleted after payment?

2 hours ago, EddieT82 said:

I feel it is not fair for the hospital to give my insurance with a 8500$ discount and bill me 500$ (Total Bill 9000).

Fair has NOTHING to do with it. It is your contracted amount as agreed in the policy.  The hospital cannot discount your portion further as that is illegal rebating.  Insurers have sued providers that have given additional discounts to patients/insured in violation of the contract with the carrier.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:30 AM, cayenne919 said:

I WANT to pay this and be done with it. its only $100. 

How much is this bill?  First you said $100 now you are saying $500.  What does the EOB from your insurance company say you are responsible for?  Is this amount towards your deductible?

19 hours ago, Why Chat said:

HOWEVER!! unless you are in Mass. which doesn't allow reporting of medical debt...

Would you happen to have a copy of the Massachusetts statute at play or a citation? I'd like to copy it and encourage the legislator representing my district to introduce legislation of this nature in my state. 

"Credit Curious20" you might consider perusing my website prior to asking ( or answering) any questions on any credit subject.

https://whychat.me/States/state-mass.html

scroll down to the bottom paragraph

Massachusetts restriction on reporting by collection agencies
Here is the section that does it(under prohibitions for debt collectors)
18.17: Unfair Practices A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscionable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt.
Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of 209 CMR 18.17:
(11) For a debt collector to report to a consumer reporting agency on its transactions or experiences with a consumer in the debt collector's name. However, a debt collector may, with the express written authorization of the creditor, report to a consumer reporting agency in the creditor's name.
Please note that this renders medical debts as totally unreportable

On 9/10/2020 at 1:57 AM, CreditCurious20 said:

Call the hospital and confirm that the CA legitimately represents the creditor and that the amount is legitimate. Look at your insurance EOB and the bill to confirm there are no errors.  If it is legitimate, try to settle with the original creditor for 50-80% with the stipulation that the account be recalled from the CA without any credit reporting first.  They may insist you negotiate through the CA which you could offer the same.  Then you could put the entire ordeal behind you.  

P.S. Not all medical CA are junk debt buyers.

Edited: I didn't see the last line. If the hospital told you to go through the CA do it.

NO | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

image.thumb.png.d279131c9c74c52f372ba47bf85098cd.png

Probably I should have created a new post to avoid any confusion however, I was just commenting on Why Chat's comment as I have a similar situation. Also, I was just talking out loud as my issue is not the fairness per say. but the two questions I had for Why Chat after I read the comments below and going through all the programs on the Why Chat site.

image.thumb.png.e2871591f4cb5ea1ef7a4537ef982676.png

Credit Sucks Not:   I would recommend you read again the PM I sent to you back on July 28th.  It applied to your posting in the Medical forum.    I was serious with my intent.

5 hours ago, Why Chat said:

"Credit Curious20" you might consider perusing my website prior to asking ( or answering) any questions on any credit subject.

https://whychat.me/States/state-mass.html

scroll down to the bottom paragraph

Massachusetts restriction on reporting by collection agencies
Here is the section that does it(under prohibitions for debt collectors)
18.17: Unfair Practices A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscionable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt.
Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of 209 CMR 18.17:
(11) For a debt collector to report to a consumer reporting agency on its transactions or experiences with a consumer in the debt collector's name. However, a debt collector may, with the express written authorization of the creditor, report to a consumer reporting agency in the creditor's name.
Please note that this renders medical debts as totally unreportable

I'm confused.   I don't get it.  I'd genuinely like to block medical collection accounts from reporting in my state. What am I missing? The statute says the debt collector can't report debt owed to another (e.g. hospital/doctor) under the debt collector's name. The debt collector may, with the original creditor's permission, report under the original creditor's name. The section also does not apply to hospitals or physicians that have direct reporting agreements with a CRA. Also, what about a JDB that claims as assignee in the shoes of the original creditor?  At that point would the JDB still qualify as a "debt collector" or a substitute original creditor?  How does the language block those from reporting? Is there more to 209 CMR 18.17? Is there some case law that must be read into the statute that effects an absolute bar and makes medical debts "totally unreportable?"

On 9/12/2020 at 8:38 AM, Why Chat said:

The Mass. statutes states that the OC must be disclosed in reporting by a CA. The FCRA prohibits medical provider identification in reporting.

Section 605 of the FCRA, 15 U.S.C. 1681c allows a medical group or hospital to report if certain conditions are met:

(a)Information excluded from consumer reportsExcept as authorized under subsection (b), no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information...:

(6)The name, address, and telephone number of any medical information furnisher that has notified the agency of its status, unless
(A)
such name, address, and telephone number are restricted or reported using codes that do not identify, or provide information sufficient to infer, the specific provider or the nature of such services, products, or devices to a person other than the consumer; or
(B)
the report is being provided to an insurance company for a purpose relating to engaging in the business of insurance other than property and casualty insurance.