Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Tell me what you think.

No discussion of generational differences as these kids love things like carvanna... there are some people who don't want to negotiate and think carmax is a "square deal." They sort of set it up as a Hobson's choice between no-haggle and "best price"

TruCare was mentioned towards the end but for discussion at another time. If someone went through TrueCar say through their cu could they still negotiate a better price at the dealer than TrueCar's price?

8 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

TruCare was mentioned towards the end but for discussion at another time. If someone went through TrueCar say through their cu could they still negotiate a better price at the dealer than TrueCar's price?

True Car is nothing more than a lead generation service for the dealers.  The prices they offer are not good deals, and in most cases would result on you leaving thousands on the table.  The best way to negotiate is to be informed.  You'll never know everything, but having as much info as possible will allow you to make the best deal.  Don't rely on a third party service or dealer to inform you.

If you want a great example of this, go to the car thread over in GDF.  CV91915 has a great example of how True Car was such a bad option.  Long story short he negotiated as price that was north of $10k less than the True Car deal.

I never put a price on true car unless it was less than ALL my competition for like a 500 mile radius.   If they called in, I knew I had the lowest price.  Our side of the program lets us see what everyone lists the same vehicle for pricewise.   I would flat out not negotiate the price, because I still had to pay true car their 399.00 fee if the customer bought.

When I was car shopping last year, TrueCar suggested that a ~$3,500 discount was a good deal on the car I ultimately chose.

Just one of the manufacturer incentives on this model was $12,000, so the dealer would have gotten basically $8,500 over MSRP from me if I had signed at the TrueCar price.

I ended up with the same model at a $22,000 discount off MSRP, which I achieved after doing some basic research that I leveraged in one 10-minute phone call to a dealer.

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

When I was car shopping last year, TrueCar suggested that a ~$3,500 discount was a good deal on the car I ultimately chose.

Just one of the manufacturer incentives on this model was $12,000, so the dealer would have gotten basically $8,500 over MSRP from me if I had signed at the TrueCar price.

I ended up with the same model at a $22,000 discount off MSRP, which I achieved after doing some basic research that I leveraged in one 10-minute phone call to a dealer.

I always included incentives with a qualifying disclaimer.   I never played games with price.

10 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

True Car is nothing more than a lead generation service for the dealers.  The prices they offer are not good deals, and in most cases would result on you leaving thousands on the table.  The best way to negotiate is to be informed.  You'll never know everything, but having as much info as possible will allow you to make the best deal.  Don't rely on a third party service or dealer to inform you.

If you want a great example of this, go to the car thread over in GDF.  CV91915 has a great example of how True Car was such a bad option.  Long story short he negotiated as price that was north of $10k less than the True Car deal.

What does GDF stand for please?

5 hours ago, MarvBear said:

I always included incentives with a qualifying disclaimer.   I never played games with price.

The $12,000 was trunk money, so it was unpublished.