How in blazes does one reach the IRS now?

I just found out via my IRS account that my 2018 and 2019 have yet to be processed (though the IRS did process my payments). Probably due to COVID, they are impossible to reach-- I have tried all week.

I'm aware that to apply for a mortgage, i will need to present my tax forms for the past two years. Am I at a standstill if they have not processed my forms? Or can I simply show the bank my copies of my tax forms and other relevant documents? I am assuming they mainly need to see my AGI.

Seriously though: wassup with the IRS? This is a major roadblock!

Mortgage underwriters vary in their income documentation requests.  For my last application, copies of my return weren't requested.  Instead we were asked to complete a Form 4506 release of tax information. 

Even if your returns haven't been processed, the IRS transcripts will show your recorded W-2 income.  If self-employed, it's possible that your underwriter may require some supplemental income support in absence of a record of a filed return (no personal experience here).

11 hours ago, hdporter said:

Mortgage underwriters vary in their income documentation requests.  For my last application, copies of my return weren't requested.  Instead we were asked to complete a Form 4506 release of tax information. 

Even if your returns haven't been processed, the IRS transcripts will show your recorded W-2 income.  If self-employed, it's possible that your underwriter may require some supplemental income support in absence of a record of a filed return (no personal experience here).

The Form 4506 won't be useful though if the IRS hasn't processed the return though, right? I can provide copies of my return since I have them, as well as proof that I paid my taxes owed.

Edited by Achillia
10 hours ago, cv91915 said:

A copy of your returns and a 4506-T plus a couple of recent pay stubs is probably all they'll need.

If your employer reports to The Work Number, they probably won't need the pay stubs.

It sounds like there are alternate ways of doing this then. Part of my problem is that my job only accounts for half my income-- but again, I have my own documentation.

52 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Have you tried to get your own transcript electronically?

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 

which is basically what I posted regarding checking his or her online account.. of course if 2018 and 2019 really aren't "processed" then there will be no transcripts.

I've interacted with the IRS many times but never on the phone.

Edited by hegemony
53 minutes ago, hegemony said:

which is basically what I posted regarding checking his or her online account.. of course if 2018 and 2019 really aren't "processes" then there will be no transcripts.

I've interacted with the IRS many times but never on the phone.

I thought the link would help.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:58 PM, hegemony said:

Have you reviewed your online IRS account? Is that how you learned your taxes were not processed? I'm surprised for the 2018 you did not receive a letter from IRS.

Yes, I have an online account. It says the 2017 is the last year they have processed. They *have* processed all of my payments though. It is also a little weird that I would never have received a notification from them about 2018. I'll take a stab at requesting transcripts, but I am anticipating that they won't be able to produce them since they they have not received my forms. Btw, I sent paper forms in rather than filing electronically-- I will bet anything the forms are in a mountainous pile that would make Rumpelstiltskin run screaming.

1 hour ago, Achillia said:

Yes, I have an online account. It says the 2017 is the last year they have processed. They *have* processed all of my payments though. It is also a little weird that I would never have received a notification from them about 2018. I'll take a stab at requesting transcripts, but I am anticipating that they won't be able to produce them since they they have not received my forms. Btw, I sent paper forms in rather than filing electronically-- I will bet anything the forms are in a mountainous pile that would make Rumpelstiltskin run screaming.

did you file directly for 2018 & 2019, use a CPA, or TurboLaxitive type service?

I'm having the same issue, I'm about to close a refinancing but they need proof that i have paid my taxes or are in a payment plan, I did a payment plan but the payment plan is not withdrawing from my account for ??? reason so I want to fix that so I go to the IRS website but it can't show my payment plan and says to call the IRS number, I call the IRS number and message says they're not taking calls now and to go to the website! I say "the IRS is having a cat chasing its tail!", incredible, some higher ups should get their heads out of there a*****s! Any solution? 

15 hours ago, usermi said:

I'm having the same issue, I'm about to close a refinancing but they need proof that i have paid my taxes or are in a payment plan, I did a payment plan but the payment plan is not withdrawing from my account for ??? reason so I want to fix that so I go to the IRS website but it can't show my payment plan and says to call the IRS number, I call the IRS number and message says they're not taking calls now and to go to the website! I say "the IRS is having a cat chasing its tail!", incredible, some higher ups should get their heads out of there a*****s! Any solution? 

Yes, paper returns-- I did my taxes with TurboTax, but printed out the forms and mailed them. This was, ironically enough, on the advice of the IRS some years back when I had an identity theft issue. They said I would not be able to file electronically.

In both cases, I sent in the tax forms-- then later sent in the checks for what I owed. My account shows that the checks were received, so somebody over there is opening the mail! I could show a mortgage broker my copies of my forms and the cancelled checks that show I am paid up for what I owe, but it sounds like they need something official from the IRS. This puts me in limbo until I can actually get ahold of a breathing person over there to resolve this.

Luckily I was planning to buy next year sometime, but who knows how long this chaos will continue?

On 8/24/2020 at 1:45 PM, Achillia said:

The Form 4506 won't be useful though if the IRS hasn't processed the return though, right? I can provide copies of my return since I have them, as well as proof that I paid my taxes owed.

Sorry it's been so long since I returned to this thread.

The IRS will provide a transcript of your tax account for the year requested.  This will show all w-2 income, along with 1040-ES (estimated tax payments on other income).   Along with a supporting statement from you that details on what income you made the estimated tax payments, the could likely be all the income documentation that your mortgage lender requires.

For you peace of mind, you really need to discuss this with a prospective mortgage lender to get the real scoop on how they handle this.  Your situation is unlikely unique; mortgage processors are motivated to work with scenarios like this and still meet underwriting guidelines.

One thing I learned years ago with ANY bureaucratic entity is to begin trying to call a few minutes before they are slated to open.  It is no guarantee, but it helps to avoid being in the mass of people that wait until they got out of bed for lunch.  Same logic worked for visitations at prisons...if client had their family show up right before 8AM, they usually got in right away, but when family left at 10AM (two hours for visit), the line was hella long. 

Another avenue, if it has not been tried yet, is reaching out through the Taxpayer Advocate;'s Office...at least when I had the issues 15-20 years ago, they were usually easier to reach AND they could actually get things done. 

17 hours ago, centex said:

Another avenue, if it has not been tried yet, is reaching out through the Taxpayer Advocate;'s Office...at least when I had the issues 15-20 years ago, they were usually easier to reach AND they could actually get things done. 

Yep, when I resolved an outstanding penalty issue with the TAO back in 2003, the guy was amazingly responsive and helpful.

I reached out to the TAO again 2015.  This time the guy I was put in contact with was toothless and emasculated.  I believe the guts have been ripped out of the TAO office somewhere in the interim.

That said, the issue re the status of the noted payment plan seems cut and dried.  I would hope the TAO could easily resolve this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 12:26 PM, hdporter said:

Sorry it's been so long since I returned to this thread.

The IRS will provide a transcript of your tax account for the year requested.  This will show all w-2 income, along with 1040-ES (estimated tax payments on other income).   Along with a supporting statement from you that details on what income you made the estimated tax payments, the could likely be all the income documentation that your mortgage lender requires.

For you peace of mind, you really need to discuss this with a prospective mortgage lender to get the real scoop on how they handle this.  Your situation is unlikely unique; mortgage processors are motivated to work with scenarios like this and still meet underwriting guidelines.

This is VERY helpful. Thanks!