I got a new card number because of a problem merchant, but he charged my new card before it came in the mail because of Stripe's automatic updater

xelda

The last post in this topic was posted 894 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I've been having trouble with a lawn care service. He uses Yardbook to collect payment. I entered my card number and said yes for automatic billing for the weekly mow. The problem started after we agreed for an extra lawn project outside of the weekly mow. He charged me up front for the full $250 but never finished the project. 2 months later, he stopped replying to my messages and stopped coming to mow my lawn altogether.

Yardbook doesn't have any way for me to manage or even view the cards I've submitted. Before he disappeared on me, I did ask him to remove my card from his account, and he told me that he did. Just to be on the safe side, I replaced the card.

Imagine my surprise when I got a text from Citi alerting me that he charged my card three times: $305, $100, $75--in that order. My new card hasn't even come in the mail yet!

Yardbook uses Stripe to accept credit cards. I looked more closely, and Stripe has a feature that automatically receives new card numbers. 😳 I searched the CB forums and didn't see any discussion about this. Has anyone heard of it before? I understand it's meant to assist merchants, but it takes away the main protection for consumers.

Luckily at my request, Citi blocked him from being able to charge me in the future. I noticed he attempted to charge me $305 two times on a different card. I think those are the only two cards I've ever used, but I hate that I have no visibility into this on Yardbook.

I've already sent messages to YardBook and Stripe to see if I can get my information completely removed from their systems, but any other suggestions?

(The screenshot below was taken from https://stripe.com/billing)

Screen_Shot_2020-08-14_at_11.33.21_PM.pn

1 hour ago, xelda said:

I've been having trouble with a lawn care service. He uses Yardbook to collect payment. I entered my card number and said yes for automatic billing for the weekly mow. The problem started after we agreed for an extra lawn project outside of the weekly mow. He charged me up front for the full $250 but never finished the project. 2 months later, he stopped replying to my messages and stopped coming to mow my lawn altogether.

Yardbook doesn't have any way for me to manage or even view the cards I've submitted. Before he disappeared on me, I did ask him to remove my card from his account, and he told me that he did. Just to be on the safe side, I replaced the card.

Imagine my surprise when I got a text from Citi alerting me that he charged my card three times: $305, $100, $75--in that order. My new card hasn't even come in the mail yet!

Yardbook uses Stripe to accept credit cards. I looked more closely, and Stripe has a feature that automatically receives new card numbers. 😳 I searched the CB forums and didn't see any discussion about this. Has anyone heard of it before? I understand it's meant to assist merchants, but it takes away the main protection for consumers.

Luckily at my request, Citi blocked him from being able to charge me in the future. I noticed he attempted to charge me $305 two times on a different card. I think those are the only two cards I've ever used, but I hate that I have no visibility into this on Yardbook.

I've already sent messages to YardBook and Stripe to see if I can get my information completely removed from their systems, but any other suggestions?

(The screenshot below was taken from https://stripe.com/billing)

Screen_Shot_2020-08-14_at_11.33.21_PM.pn

Yes, there's some sort of system that allows certain companies that automatically bill to update expired card numbers without you telling them.  Just this past week I got a new Citibank American Airlines MasterCard with a different number that replaced another card (Citibank was updating their service.  I didn't request a new card number).  I have a few places that automatically bill the card. One is SiriusXM.  I logged in to update the card number and expiration date and saw it already updated.  Other billers didn't automatically update.  I think if you ask them for a new card and report it stolen (not just lost) or specifically tell them not to accept the old number/automatically update, you can block this, but no guarantees.  Just make sure you update the stuff you still want automatically billed as soon as possible.

The last post in this topic was posted 894 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.