Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Quest for the Perfect Office Chair

Shopping for a new home office desk chair is frustrating. 

I can't really find anything I want, at any price point.

wmORsma.png 

Edited by cv91915

This topic is really making me reconsider the fact I've always used a default chair, and that I spend a lot of time in it. 

Like I needed more things to figure out!

Also it's making me realize I really have no idea what would be a useful feature. A footrest maybe? 

4 hours ago, Kat58 said:

A Steelcase Leap V2?

My biggest constraint is that the office is in a conspicuous location on the main level of the house (it's all very open).

If my office looked like an office, that might be a good option.  But it looks more like a living room or a den with a desk. 

Functionality and comfort are still critical (I sit here for hours every day), but the appearance is right up there.

I think I'm down to two.  This one from Crate & Barrel is really comfortable, but the leather is fake.  

gN5uvKE.png

Or something like this from Via Seating (I've had one of their chairs in my other home office for over 10 years, and the comfort and quality is amazing). 

I don't think they have a local dealer, and I'd want to sit in one before I place a custom order (everything is configurable, down to style and finish on the arms).

DqLLIo2.png 

1 hour ago, Kat58 said:

I assume you already saw the showroom locations for Via Seating.

Yes, thanks.  Unfortunately none of those is convenient. 

I think Via caters to large-scale commercial office contracts vs. one-off sales to consumers.  They do have local dealers, just no directory of them.  Via recently sent me the name and phone number of a local rep, so I may call her and see where she recommends that I look locally. 

Also, we just got back from Crate & Barrel.  The C&B chair I posted above is no longer shown in the store.  I may just order it, and return it if I don't like the color when I see it in the room.

Heh. You'll love where I got my home office chair. Let me preface by saying, my desk at home is a big, old, gorgeous midcentury modern double pedestal executive desk I found on Craigslist. Think Don Draper in Mad Men. I wanted a chair to fit the style but they were $Texas or looked like crap. When I was commuting an hour a day, through about 10 small towns, I saw a county highway department was throwing away an old desk chair. Probably 50-70 years old, industrial style, like a plant manager would use to wield power over his unionized blue-collar workforce. I thought it was good enough, so I stopped on the highway, turned around, and shoved it in the back. There are a few spots of yellow on the legs that may even be old school yellow road-striping paint. It is THE MOST COMFORTABLE desk chair I've had. Even my office chair in my office on campus, which is break freakin' new (and $612 according to my research) is junk compared to it. It's awesome and it was free, and has a story.

18 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Heh. You'll love where I got my home office chair. Let me preface by saying, my desk at home is a big, old, gorgeous midcentury modern double pedestal executive desk I found on Craigslist. Think Don Draper in Mad Men. I wanted a chair to fit the style but they were $Texas or looked like crap. When I was commuting an hour a day, through about 10 small towns, I saw a county highway department was throwing away an old desk chair. Probably 50-70 years old, industrial style, like a plant manager would use to wield power over his unionized blue-collar workforce. I thought it was good enough, so I stopped on the highway, turned around, and shoved it in the back. There are a few spots of yellow on the legs that may even be old school yellow road-striping paint. It is THE MOST COMFORTABLE desk chair I've had. Even my office chair in my office on campus, which is break freakin' new (and $612 according to my research) is junk compared to it. It's awesome and it was free, and has a story.

That sounds difficult to reproduce.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:52 AM, cv91915 said:

gN5uvKE.png

I just ordered this.

Estimated arrival is 9/8, so I can still cancel if I decide it's worth the time to pursue the other option through the local Via rep.  

I'll probably just stop here. 

23 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

One of my favorite chairs when I worked for the State in the 90's was an older chair that had been in the Texas Legislature.  They were upgrading and so the old ones went to some other agencies.  One of those landed in my office and I took it.  No telling HOW old that leather was, but the gold seal was still very much visible and the wood, while worn, was still very much intact.  Comfortable as all get out...wish I could have taken it with me when I left that office.