Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

BOA secured credit card deposit refund

So when i was a teenager i went to open a bank account with my father at BOA (highly regretted it ever since) with a security deposit of $500. I had a bad payment status for 30-59 days and the account was closed by the credit grantor but only after i payed off the balance (they allowed me to pay off the balance by saying i had to make payment to use the card again and after i did they said i had to call a service representative) . I should have been more responsible on checking my balance since it was below $500 and thinking back now i was told that even though i payed off the due amount i would not be getting my deposit back, so me being a irresponsible teenager i just wanted to hide this fact from my parents. Moneys tight right now for my family so i was wondering if there was anyway to recover this $500. Is there any steps i should take to gather information regarding this ie the credit card terms and service before i try to dispute the fact? Would i be able to remove this remark from my credit score? I know this is a long shot but any information would help. Its been 4 years since then and the account was open for around 7 months. The year was opened on july of 2016 and closed feb 2017. Has anyone else had any experience with something similar? 

To recap, is this the scenario?

It sounds like you opened a credit card that was secured by $500 deposited into a bank account.  The credit card went delinquent, but you paid part of the balance that was past due, and you're wondering if you can get the remainder of the security deposit back.

Am I close?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By BFee317
      I finally decided to attack my credit issue rather than pretend they don't exist. Here is the situation

Here is my CreditKarma information...

TransUnion and Equifax (both show the same items
      Credit Cards $0
      I have a $500 secured Discover IT card that I used for YouTube TV payment and that is it. Between 10% and 30% utilization opened May 2020.
      My mother added me as an authorized user to her Costco Capital One card that has perfect payment history, 8 years open and a $15,000 limit.

Collections $5,317
      Armada Corp
      Total Accounts 6 (medical) Oldest age of account 2019
      $3,193 

Puget Sound Collections 
      Total Accounts 2 (medical) Oldest age of account 2019
      $1,814

Solverity
      Total Accounts 1 (medical) Oldest age of account 2019
      $310

Student Loans
      $0
      Accounts Were Garnished from my paycheck and paid
      Closed Accounts 4
      Dept of Education/NELNET (Closed 4/2016) 
      Dept of Education/NELNET (Closed 4/2016)
      US Department of Education (Closed) Opened 09/2012
      US Department of Education (Closed) Opened 09/2012

I have sent debt validation letters to all three credit bureaus and this is what was verified. Where do I go from here. I was added as an authorized user to my mothers credit card (Capital One Costco) about a month ago. I hope this helps my score improve but it hasn't reported yet. I saw a 25+ point boost from my secured discover card but it hasn't helped since then. Can anyone offer some guidance as to a path for a better credit score? 

Thanks,
      BFee  
    • By BFee317
      Anyone have experience pulling medical collections back from the credit agency and start a payment plan with your HC provider? Or negotiating with a HC provider for items already in collections and paying the HC a negotiated monthly amount or a one time negotiated payment then doing WhyChats system if the items are not removed from collections? The reason I ask is I have over 9 open accounts with Armada Corp (CA) totally over $15,000 and I am looking for the most efficient way to get this removed from my credit report.

Thanks,
      BFee
    • By nferra2
      I am going to help my SO repair their credit, it is a mess, 99% compounded by medical bills but other trade lines got caught up from reduced income and everything that comes from major medical events.  In the past I was successful with a Jack attack letter addressing all trade lines.  Whatever was left I would move onto doing the 1-2 punch using DV letters and asking the CRA to validate.  I never claimed or denied validation of the debts in my Jack attack letters.  Do you think this can still work?  Any other suggestions?  I was never 100% and had to let a couple things age off, but I was able to reduce a lot in the past.  I plan on hitting the post office Tuesday!

There are 7 positive, active trade lines even if some are not the best.  Fingerhut, CreditOne, Indigo stood out.  I am going to add them to my Discover and my banks CC, that should help in the long run.

Thanks in advance!  
    • By maddox80
      Lovely Navient is posting 4, yes 4 charge-offs on my credit report.  I'm starting with Equifax.

Round 1:  Disputed because there was still a past due balance showing on the charged off accounts (all of them).  One Navient Account deleted, the rest were "verified."  Equifax "updated" the "date of last payment" to literally June 2020 ... on charged off accounts.   They still show a past due balance, even though the debts were sold to a collection agency. 
      Round 2:  Sent a method of verification letter to Equifax.  Equifax responded with a "We don't have a credit file for you" letter.  Stall tactic?
      Round 3:  Sent a second method of verification request with copies of the "we don't have a credit file for you" letter, proof of identity, copies of their previously "verified" accounts/"investigation results" pointing out they reported payments on charged off accounts.  Interestingly, the "little boxes" that appear under the accounts which tell you if it's a timely payment, late, or a charge off still show a "late/charge off" for the months Equifax says they verified I made payments.  Result:  Investigation is PENDING.

I signed up for MyFico and apparently, Navient is reporting these charge offs/lates, FRESH, on a monthly basis - even after they sold the debt.  Is this legal?  How can I be late on a debt that doesn't exist anymore since they sold it off? I had a charge off before for a credit card a long time ago and once it was charged off and sold (Navient sold the debt as well) it wasn't reported every.dang.month.  Is this legal or some sort of reporting violation?

Am I doing this correctly?  Should I do a 609 and demand that they show me a copy of my MPN?  TIA!!!

• By rackt3
      Hi everyone,

I had really great credit for the longest time, and then unfortunately, lost my job about 6 years ago and was out of work for a long time. In that time, my credit took a steep nosedive and I'm still down in the dumps credit-wise. At this time, I have 7 charge offs. 5 of them, I was able to get them settled and all of them are past SOL at this point. The charge offs are all with OC credit cards that were never sent to CAs (should I consider myself lucky that none of them were ever passed on to CAs?) 

Specifically, the credit cards are 2 Citicards, 1 Amex, 1 chase, 1 USBank, and one BoA. All but the Chase and USbank have settled and showing as paid COs, and "settled for less" showing on the credit reports. Last activities on them are all about 2 years ago or longer but they report the COs every month. Is there anything at all I can do you get these to go away? Am I out of luck and just have to wait for them to fall off in 5 years or so? I'm assuming the 7-year falling off date is based on date of last activity? Or is there any strategy to getting these charge offs removed?

Thank you!

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    chris115
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines