Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Hat in Hand approach to medical OC

Hi, 

I’m SJ from Louisiana

I have a matter that I a.m. considering taking an unconventional approach to having it removed and I would like advice on the possible pitfalls and keys to success if it is advisable.

I was on insurance which included a local doctor's office in a group for 25 copay.  On previous visits this happened without a hitch.  On this occasion, I stood at the counter while the nurse was on the phone verifying it was the same.  At some point just before or just after this event, the doctor's office was removed from this group.  They billed me for 67 dollars more which I had every intention of contesting with them but simply forgot.  So it has been forwarded the the Docs CA and went on my report.

What I am considering is going into the doctor's office to talk to billing.  Since it it a low amount, I plan to go hat in hand and ask that they reclaim the debt from the CA and allow me to pay in full.  I have no intention of taking responsibility for the original debt but I don’t mind paying that amount since the delay is certainly my responsibility.

Thus far I have contested with each CRA online and it was taken off by two of them but not equifax.

Has anyone had success with this approach and what steps should I take?

welcome to CB!

what do you mean you intended to contest the charge with the doctor? And why won't you "take responsibility for the original debt" when it was only $42 more than you expected to pay?

I agree that you should have paid it, however if you want to get it deleted from your reports I suggest you follow the HIPAA program steps;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Your initial dispute letter to the 2 CRAs MAY work if it has been more than 90 days since your dispute.

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Posted (edited)

I mean I didn't think I actually owed it.  The doctors office checked to make sure that my copay was the same as on previous visits.  If I had been told otherwise I would have had the option to choose another doctor.  But that part is neither here nor there for me now.  I have every intention of paying the full thing if they will take it off.  Perhaps it is the word dispute that is misleading.  I meant to take it up to them as to why the copay was higher than what they verified on the phone.  So my dispute may have been with the insurance company.

As for the disputes, they have not yet been 90 days.  And I don''t know if it makes a difference but I didn't write a letter.  It was online dispute through their forms.

Edited by nolajoins

If you follow the HIPAA letter program and dispute by snail mail within 90 days of your on line dispute you will get an automated response "previously disputed remains". If you wait 90 days it will likely have cleared out of the automated system.

thanks for the replies gang.  I guess mostly what I am looking for is to know that I am not risking anything by showing back up to ask forgiveness from the original creditor and to know what I might should bring.  I definitely agree that I just should have paid it and saved myself the stress.  

If you want to get it resolved,pay the OC what you owe and follow the HIPAA letter program to get it deleted.

so the OC told me that she would take a payment and pass the info on to the CA but that she had no idea how they would handle it with the CRAs.  So I guess the next step is to contact them this week.  

Just pay the OC - everything else can be easily repaired. WHO are you going to contact?? DO NOT pay the reporting CA. DO NOT contact the reporting CA.

ok, I am reading through the HIPAA from your link now.  Its starting to make sense to me.  I will start with the formal dispute.  Thanks for the advice

Posted (edited)

so if I am understanding correctly, the original dispute letter only has to be sent to the CRA but after I have a documented relationship with the the HIPAA and payment go back to the OC?

Also, since two the the CRA took the collection off already, that I am only dealing with the remaining one and that once I have sent the HIPAA letter to the OC that it will be sufficient if either of the other two pop the collection back on?

Edited by nolajoins

Just follow the guide and send the initial dispute letters to the CRAs.

(Is it reporting to all 3 CRAs?)

Come back here with the results.

BTW what was the date of medical service?

Posted (edited)

some time in 2018.   I need to pull the report today to get the exact date and copy for initial dispute

and no, its only on one CRA right now because I online disputed the other two last month.  Actually disputed all three but one did not remove it.

Edited by nolajoins

well of course one of the three CRA is not processing my report online and I have to mail them for the report.  It just happens to be the same one that kept the collection on the report so this process is going to take a minute but I will get back to the thread when I receive it.  

Posted (edited)

since I signed up for My Equifax to dispute to collection before I sought help from you guys, I can see this much of the collection.  If I print this out to send with my medical dispute form, will that be sufficient?  Or should I wait for the credit report to circle the item on that?  I have mailed my proof of ID to them today so that ball is rolling if I need to wait.  Below is a link to what I see.  I blocked some of it but that is all I see of the account is the last two digits

copy of what I can get with my equifax

Edited by nolajoins