Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

‘I’m having a hard time understanding how earning over $200,000 a year is too much to qualify for a decent welfare check’

My blind son was claimed as a dependent on my daughter's 2019 tax return. That meant that he got no stimulus payment nor did she since he's an adult. He was fine with that and so was she.

I make rather good money considering my bills and such, and I got my $1200.

(I also just got a 15% raise in situ, and I love it so much that I can't be bothered to feel guilty)

Ya know where my $1200 went?  And most of the rest of my money?  Keeping my fiancée and her three kids fed, because her restaurant closed hard, fast, and ugly.

((though she needs to ease off the Amazoning a bit...I know she's bored, but dang, woman!))

On 7/9/2020 at 11:27 AM, hegemony said:

Poor baby. Join the club.

Frankly, if I got any stimulus money I would be appalled. Needs to go to more people that need it and if you're making 200k you can probably get by.

I'm particularly impressed that The Moneyist replied in 700+ words and never, once, referred to the author of the query as "you sorry-assed jerk".

On 7/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, shifter said:

200k is just about in poverty in some places in this country. 

Yup! I live in one of those places.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, shifter said:

200k is just about in poverty in some places in this country. 

The potential that someone might be "house poor" because of housing prices in a given locale in no manner translates to "poverty".  Even said "tongue in cheek", I find the suggestion edging on appalling. 

(Forgive me for playing the "bleeding heart" card, but I've been a bit fixated lately on the climb over time in the number of people who can be characterized as the "working poor".  It simply feel like that's a purgatory that only the very exceptionally subpar individual working 30+ hours per weeks deserves (no matter the circumstances).

"Too much to qualify" is asinine in my mind, because they're the ones paying for that welfare. It's their money, they should have just as much access to it as anyone else. Those who pay in the most are the ones who receive the least benefit. The bottom feeders can pay their fair share.

15 hours ago, hdporter said:

Even said "tongue in cheek", I find the suggestion edging on appalling. 

why-so-serious-grqltz.jpg 

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 7:21 PM, cashnocredit said:

Poor baby. Join the club.

Frankly, if I got any stimulus money I would be appalled. Needs to go to more people that need it and if you're making 200k you can probably get by.

I'm not eligible.

The twist is that my 2020 income has dropped from the 2018 and 2019 levels, and that money would really help right now. My understanding is that I'll get some kind of break in my 2020 taxes. We'll see.

All that said, I would be appalled if they sent me a check. There are people out there who are hurting way more than I am.

Edited by Achillia

On 7/16/2020 at 10:38 AM, Bad Doctor Frost said:

"Too much to qualify" is asinine in my mind, because they're the ones paying for that welfare. It's their money, they should have just as much access to it as anyone else. Those who pay in the most are the ones who receive the least benefit. The bottom feeders can pay their fair share.

One reason we refer to the economic system is that the economy really is a system-- we are all in this together, and if a huge swath of our system falls permanently into poverty, we all suffer.

This isn't a cake to fight over. This is emergency aid designed to keep our economy from sinking. It makes sense to send the aid to those who need it most. We will *all* be doing better later if most of us can at least manage to stay afloat.

Those of who are upper income especially. For example: I have significant investments in a REIT fund which has brought in a very nice ROI over the years. This quarter however my dividends are frozen because so many small businesses cannot pay their rent. Send those mom & pops money and they will be able to stay in business and pay their rents! If that happens, voila, my dividends will return and I can go back to playing backgammon in Istanbul and nibbling baklava. There are all kinds of reasons why I am rallying for the little guy. I don't need the dang one time check.

3 hours ago, Achillia said:

One reason we refer to the economic system is that the economy really is a system-- we are all in this together, and if a huge swath of our system falls permanently into poverty, we all suffer.

This isn't a cake to fight over. This is emergency aid designed to keep our economy from sinking. It makes sense to send the aid to those who need it most. We will *all* be doing better later if most of us can at least manage to stay afloat.

Those of who are upper income especially. For example: I have significant investments in a REIT fund which has brought in a very nice ROI over the years. This quarter however my dividends are frozen because so many small businesses cannot pay their rent. Send those mom & pops money and they will be able to stay in business and pay their rents! If that happens, voila, my dividends will return and I can go back to playing backgammon in Istanbul and nibbling baklava. There are all kinds of reasons why I am rallying for the little guy. I don't need the dang one time check.

💯

A tangential article:

https://newrepublic.com/article/158555/whiners-earn-200000-complain-theyre-broke?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Poor-mouthing by the wealthy may be a matter of interest to researchers, but no one should lose sight of the fact that rich people’s problems are trivial compared to those facing the poor and working class. In an increasingly class-segmented America, facing the prospect of a long economic downturn, the complaints to take seriously come from our fellow citizens who lack jobs, health insurance, decent housing, quality educations, and many, many other things that the wealthy simply take for granted.

@shifter Frankly that is true. On one hand my income makes it hard (in my eyes) to afford a house in the housing market I live in right now, But i could take my salary and move to some countries and live like the 1%  does in the US. But on the other hand I do can also see how on paper the ones who "made" 200k in 2018, 2019, etc does not need it in the eys of the govt, but yet their sources of income of come to a halt like many others. I know plenty of business owners who spent like more was coming tomorrow, covid happened, and now the Out Of Business sign is out front next to where the soon to be foreclosure sign will be.  I guess my underlining problem is they used lat year snapshots when the world was great to judge rather or not you need that helping had your taxes paid for all those years based on current events. Seemed half @## backwards to me. 

8 hours ago, EvilMan said:

@shifter Frankly that is true. On one hand my income makes it hard (in my eyes) to afford a house in the housing market I live in right now, But i could take my salary and move to some countries and live like the 1%  does in the US. But on the other hand I do can also see how on paper the ones who "made" 200k in 2018, 2019, etc does not need it in the eys of the govt, but yet their sources of income of come to a halt like many others. I know plenty of business owners who spent like more was coming tomorrow, covid happened, and now the Out Of Business sign is out front next to where the soon to be foreclosure sign will be.  I guess my underlining problem is they used lat year snapshots when the world was great to judge rather or not you need that helping had your taxes paid for all those years based on current events. Seemed half @## backwards to me.

Someone that continues to spend as though all will continue into perpetuity does not get my sympathy.  If someone has a business and is making $200K per year (which suggests NET, not GROSS), then they are old enough to remember 2008 and very likely, dot bomb as well.  Maybe they don't remember the mid-late 70's and odd-even days, but they STILL knew they needed to be setting funds aside. 

Those who failed to plan have, in fact, planned to fail. 

17 hours ago, shifter said:

Anyone calling 200k wealthy while claiming a meer 50k is "poor" is a sad despondent. True poverty is what most of the world endures. In America almost all of us are rich by world standards. 

I've done medical mission work in countries in Africa. Their homes are made of scavenged garbage and local plant growth. Their floors are dirt. There is NO furniture, and they own one large bowl which works for everything from bathing to cooking. Many children do not own clothes, adults may own one set of clothing which was donated from other countries. They barely have food to eat.
And they are more generous and complain less than anyone here in the U.S.
<rant over>

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, GirlFromCleveland said:

I've done medical mission work in countries in Africa. Their homes are made of scavenged garbage and local plant growth. Their floors are dirt. There is NO furniture, and they own one large bowl which works for everything from bathing to cooking. Many children do not own clothes, adults may own one set of clothing which was donated from other countries. They barely have food to eat.
And they are more generous and complain less than anyone here in the U.S.
<rant over>

I lived for three years in Turkey, back in the nineties, teaching English. Not as extreme as what you describe, obviously, but in general people had less, shared more, and took care of one another, and were not especially attached to status symbols. Back when I was there, you could live very nicely on 12K a year, provided you lived simply and did not buy anything imported. Turkey has a reasonable social safety net, free healthcare, free education, subsidized childcare, etc. 

So 50K in Turkey back then would have been ridiculously wealthy. Fact still remains, in the US, it is not-- and this is where I live now. Healthcare, housing, and education are absolutely through the roof expensive while also being of substandard quality compared to the rest of the world. I am now finally making an income that is in just into the six digits and I still can't afford to buy a home in the city where I live without becoming house poor.  Yes, I could move to a LCOL area, but if I did that I would have to say goodbye to my job and high salary, to say nothing of the family and community I have in this area. Yes, I am "rich" by the world's standards, but I live here, not there. Here, I am definitely not rich.

All this said, I am also well aware of how lucky I am compared to most people-- yes, most-- in my own country, never mind those who are facing unemployment, disability, or serious illness with no health insurance. I get it. 

I could take what I have and move back to Istanbul-- I've thought about it-- but moving abroad is actually very complicated for American citizens in terms of health insurance and taxes. The short version: rich Americans who can shrug off the steep hidden costs or maintain a home in the US *and* a home abroad can live abroad easily enough. Those who think they can just run off and live in Mexico on only their social security income usually have a very rude awakening (especially when they find out that the locals really don't want them there).

Edited by Achillia