Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

International Student Looking for First Card

Hi everyone,

A bit of background about myself. I'm an international student currently going to school on the West Coast, and I’m trying to get a credit card to build my credit score. So far I’ve only found a few companies such as Deserve (https://deserve.com/), TomoCredit (https://tomocredit.com/), and Discover that seem to approve international students with no credit history.

Has anyone had any experience with these companies? Leaning towards Tomo because 0% APR and seems like they have decent cashback. 

Appreciate any advice you guys have!

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin:  Pam, MarvBear, radi8, LKH & 😇breeze😇

55 minutes ago, kair00 said:

Hi everyone,

A bit of background about myself. I'm an international student currently going to school on the West Coast, and I’m trying to get a credit card to build my credit score. So far I’ve only found a few companies such as Deserve (https://deserve.com/), TomoCredit (https://tomocredit.com/), and Discover that seem to approve international students with no credit history.

Has anyone had any experience with these companies? Leaning towards Tomo because 0% APR and seems like they have decent cashback. 

Appreciate any advice you guys have!

I think Citi also has a student card as well, which can be an option.  Unfortunately it has been many, many years since I have been a student and can't opine on those card options, but I would think a Google search should get you some good background.

At this point, your focus should be on cards with no annual fee.  If they have rewards, even better, but the APR should be irrelevant as you should always PIF every month.  Once you have established some history you can look to enhance your card portfolio with cards that provide ideal rewards for your spending and preferred rewards options.

Just be sure to avoid bottom feeders like Credit One.  Avoid any card that has a monthly fee, no grace period, etc. Basically if it is targeted to bad credit, you should stay away.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:40 AM, CTSoxFan said:

I think Citi also has a student card as well, which can be an option.  Unfortunately it has been many, many years since I have been a student and can't opine on those card options, but I would think a Google search should get you some good background.

At this point, your focus should be on cards with no annual fee.  If they have rewards, even better, but the APR should be irrelevant as you should always PIF every month.  Once you have established some history you can look to enhance your card portfolio with cards that provide ideal rewards for your spending and preferred rewards options.

Just be sure to avoid bottom feeders like Credit One.  Avoid any card that has a monthly fee, no grace period, etc. Basically if it is targeted to bad credit, you should stay away.

Awesome! Thanks so much for your advice. Seems like TomoCredit and Deserve are pretty reasonable and have good cashback programs too. I'll look into those a little bit more but those seem like cards that would approve someone with my background.