Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Has Chase become a multi-puller?

I elected to pull the trigger on the new United card the other day.  As expected, there was a pull on EXP.  No instant approval.  I see a pull from the following day on a different bureau (TU). 

I am curious whether this is becoming their new normal.  Recording still has the 'under review' message.  

Scores at the time of the respective pulls are somewhere between 820-838 depending on just which flavor of Fair Isaac modeling was utilized...and as near as I can tell, I SHOULD be under 5/24 since the one that would have put me at 5/24 had been opened in the early part of June 2018 (thus being OUTSIDE of the two calendar year window). 

Last time I opened a non-auto product with them was in the days of the Continental PresPlus card which I ditched after the merger with United.  I actually only expect to keep THIS one for the year since the fee is waived in year one and I want options for the airports that don't have a Centurion Lounge. 

Years ago I got a double pull (EX and EQ) for a new application so I don't think this is new. I'm not sure what triggers a second draw. good luck :)

Yeah, I had seen some sporadic accounts of double pulls from a decade back, but it seemed like most were the ones who called the Recon desk and not those who apped and were just waiting.

I had a double pull from the same CRA one day apart.

It was after I apped in a Citi branch for their secured card with a 25k deposit. At the time they were offering a 4% APR on the CD that secured the card. Such a sweet deal.

My credit file was quite thin at the time with only one other WF secured CC opened a few months earlier.

However, my file also had some paid collections and a paid, 1M tax lien. I think the lien was what kicked the app into a review. Then the next day someone else had to approve it and Citi pulled again.

In all likelihood pulls that are a day apart indicate a further review. Probably something unusual enough that it gets bounced to a more experienced underwriter. These are the exceptions when a single pull isn't quite enough to clearly approve or reject. When Cap One pulls multiple CRAs, they do it the same day and make a decision on all of them.

DCU (a notorious EQ puller) actually tried to pull EX on manual review a couple of years ago. They wanted to see a second bureau because of anomalous information on EQ. Would imagine that's fairly common across issuers even if it doesn't happen that often. Esp for a creditor like Chase who's so churn sensitive. They may have wanted to see if you had any fresh inqs on TU meaning you were on an app spree. 

Posted (edited)

So I applied for the club card (I wanted the 100k miles) at the end of April, we're in the same state, and I only got a pull on EX.  I don't know if relationship matters as I have a checking account with them (with a minimal balance) and 4 other CCs prior to the United.  Was initially declined for additional credit but got an approval on recon.  FICO 803 at the time.

Edited by CTSoxFan

They've been double pulling for me for the past year or so.  If all reports are unlocked then they'll pull EX and TU and I'll get instantly approved.  If either is locked they'll mail me a letter saying they need me to unlock it before they can evaluate my application.

AND...Got my letter...denied.  Not for anything on the credit reports, although they deny having pulled Experian.

Apparently 5/24 is not even the edge they are denying for...when I called, they claim too many new accounts, but they only rattled off four going back to the beginning of last year.  Then they tried to fall back upon an internal late that, if it actually occurred, was back in 2000. 

Compounding matters, because they deny having pulled Experian, they won't remove their pull from that bureau. 

If I had any belief that it would do any good, I would have been preparing a letter to the EO to be dropped in FedEx on my way home.  But reading too many experiences across various forums through the years, it seems that Jamie's office is utterly useless and the letter will only result in a generic reply that makes abundantly clear they didn't read any portion of the letter. 

Looks like American Express continues to get the lion's share of my spending...

Chase is weird. 

I've been getting "You are pre-approved for the Sapphire Preferred CC" since last Dec. offering 50k points. I just logged in and even though the previous offer had expired they are still flogging it and have upped the bonus points to 60k.

Nice but what the heck am I gonna do with it in this coronavirus environment?

Meanwhile the current balance on my Freedom card has increased to 8k this month. It'll take down my FICO scores a bit when it posts since the statement balance is under 2k.

So should I prepay or just use this to get feel for the FICO impact?

OK, so this is a First World Problem.

Last time when I opened my Credit files (mortgage refi), chase got hold of the files and started bombarding me with preapprovals online. After refi, I locked my EX file and applied and they wanted to pull EX and wouldnt approve, they pulled Tu also.

This time I am not falling for it and I am not applying for anything, just let these preapprovals sit there and go away in time....

On 6/26/2020 at 9:06 AM, hegemony said:

Years ago I got a double pull (EX and EQ) for a new application so I don't think this is new. I'm not sure what triggers a second draw. good luck :)

This is just me speaking by experience... :D

Chase predominant puller is Experian with the second puller of Equifax, consistently. Just about every application that I've had ever apply there is only one exception through my apps history with to Chase that is one time and whatever that reason it was for me that one time Chase uses a combo of Experian and TransUnion.

But the first pull always pertains to Experian and more like a must inter-agency procedure corroborating with Equifax as its secondary bureau and so we want to know why this issue should be given priority to Chase's credit department policy. My speculation, conceivably Experian has more meticulous info on file and even more so with adding the bust-out paper model attached to the inquiry.