Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

equifax screwy

Ok very new and strange issue.  I think equifax has to files for me and its a complete crap shoot what shows up.  File 1 is my original file with 20 years of credit history.  File 2 is blank.   Companies who pull my credit seem to be routinely getting a blank report.  Ive verified this with a mortgage lender as well as a third party paid for credit report....  I paid $5 for a blank equifax report (wtf?).  Two days ago I was able to pull my complete equifax using the adverse action report, today I get a message saying they cannot verify my report.  If I login to their online system I can pull the report but the "new" report pulled is from two days ago.

When I call it I get the run around.  They cannot verify me and I need to fax them documents.....  I have faxed them documents.  I called about five days ago and was able to talk to someone and correctly update my address history.  Today nothing, an employee and a supervisor said they cannot verify me to access my report ( i have no accounts).  When I told them I had a bank receive a blank credit report they verified that indeed I had a hard inquiery from that bank and that the report was indeed blank because my account has no credit history.... Of course the good report I have from two days ago does not show ANY hard inquiry at all.  It shows plenty of soft inquiries from my existing lines.

I know this sounds a bit confusing, not sure what to do.  I got stonewalled by the supervisor.  need to verify my ID that ive already verified... They cannot verify it because they are looking at the wrong report!

Echoing hege...Equifax will deny the existence of split files.  They WILL acknowledge the prospect of a consumer having multiple files due to 'glitches' that exist.  And yes...words DO matter.

Ugh. such a pain.  Thanks for the link, i tried the numbers there for equifax and every number they have no just takes you back to their main telephone system.  In my calls I tried to tell them that I had two files, one blank and one correct.  Just got run around, even with the supervisor who I ultimately cussed out and just hung up on.  I gave up and faxed them a letter telling them that I am being denied credit because of their mistake and that I intend to take legal action if they do not resolve the issue.. what action Im not exactly sure. haha :(

Well, that will probably land you in special handling. The good news is they'll fix the split file. The bad news is you'll be in special handling. I hope you don't need to get any cleanup done. 

Yeppurs...the threat of legal will likely NOT be good.  It is different when one actually DOES intend to litigate and where there are no self-inflicted wounds on the report that the consumer hoped to make go away through smoke and mirrors. 

Admittedly, where one is a legitimate victim of fraud, there ARE occasions where special handling can be a good thing, but that isn't the case with most people...

I have experienced this myself, back during the days of b* and once a couple of years ago. The first time it happened, I got a random backdoor number on here and called and talked to someone who fixed it (this was in 2012, so don't ask me about the details). When it happened the second time, I think I wrote a plain letter to their dispute address and explained what was going on. I think it got fixed after I sent the letter a couple of times. I may have even sent the split file letter to their fraud alert address as well, but I can't recall at this time.

I'd say try calling on the phone first. If you are unsuccessful, write a letter. If they haven't fixed it after sending two letters, then I would file a complaint with the CFPB. All along, I would be keeping copies of all correspondence and save any proof you are getting from creditors who cannot pull your report. I would also keep copies of the separate reports you have pulled. This way, you can try doing it the diplomatic way, but you will be prepared to sue them if they don't fix it. Over the year of dealing with Equifax on number of different things, I have found them to really just be incompetent more than anything. Technical issues are a constant problem, way more than Experian, TransUnion, or Innovis.

Where one has a LEGITIMATE issue (ie. not just a 'it isn't fair that it is still there'), you can ALSO work backwards through the Equifax SEC filings for a rich source of contact information.  This would be even more accurate if you are truly in EQ country and not the CSC sub-sectioned staff. 

I'm too lazy to sift through 15+ years of posts, but I vaguely recall that EQ was one of the entities where I got through very quickly once I back-traced General Counsel through the Bar directory (which included email contacts).

This can also be caused by yourself or a lender incorrectly entering one wrong number  in your social and from that a new file is instantly created which is like a shot in the dark. It happened..... You need to go back to when you first noticed this and then determine what was the last thing you applied for that’s a good starting point for the error 

The SSN isn't in the top 5 of things matched on your credit file. Name, birthday, address, etc are weighted higher. Entering a wrong number is more likely to have it added to your file as an alternate than create a split file.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:49 AM, shifter said:

The SSN isn't in the top 5 of things matched on your credit file. Name, birthday, address, etc are weighted higher. Entering a wrong number is more likely to have it added to your file as an alternate than create a split file.

I second this. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get an old address deleted off of Experian or Equifax these days. TransUnion and Innovis are easy, but EX and EQ hold onto addresses like you wouldn't believe. EX and EQ are also selling said addresses to LexisNexis.

Posted (edited)

Crazy stuff...  I managed to call in last week and get someone US based who was able to fairly quickly merge my reports.... That worked for about three days.  Now I see as of today I am back to pulling a blank report.  Whats crazy is that I can go into that myEquifax account and view a whole history of complete reports as well as blank reports.  So it was fixed for a few days, now it is broken again.

ps.. the only thing done recently even vaguely related to credit is that we moved.  Its crazy to think that the simple act of moving could cause so much grief... But I suspect as others have said above with how these guys are basing files on address that it is entirely possible.. If not all your credit sources are updated the differing primary key data probably causes seizures in their systems.  Last week I had my previous address as my current and my current address as my previous probably caused by a creditor I have not updated my address with yet who is still pushing my previous address as their current.

Edited by lofar

As long as both addresses are on your file, it wouldn't make sense that would be the reason for the split. They can match to any address on file. Could be a combination of the address with a transposed birthday or SSN etc. Do you have variations of those on your report? 

You need to order a paper copy. You should have had the rep you spoke to last week send you one. If you do have multiple files they should send you both. 

I second this. Between dealing with ID theft and the split file situation, I have really went to work on getting all of the information in my credit files to match. I would also pull up your LexisNexis, Chexsystems, Innovis, Sagestream; ARS, Clarity Services, NCTUE, CoreLogic, and FactorTrust reports. I would dispute any info that is out of date as well as any information that is misspelled or belongs to someone with a similar name. You want to get all of your reports showing the exact same information so there is no confusion in matching the correct information to you. Also, ensuring all of your creditors have your current phone number, address, and email is important as well. Make sure you are typing your address exactly the same info every place you enter it. It’s a lot of work, but this should solve and prevent quite a few issues.

Edited by RehabbingANDBlabbing