Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Keeping Track of Passwords

I write down on paper all my passwords and make a extra copy. Too many passwords though!

What do you all do? Is there a safer way?

1 hour ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I write down on paper all my passwords and make a extra copy. Too many passwords though!

What do you all do? Is there a safer way?

I use Evernote for some stuff, but most passwords I store in LastPass.  There are several good password vault apps like LastPass available.  Check out some reviews and user comments and choose the one that seems to best fit your needs.

1 hour ago, Burdell said:

I use Evernote for some stuff, but most passwords I store in LastPass.  There are several good password vault apps like LastPass available.  Check out some reviews and user comments and choose the one that seems to best fit your needs.

I will check it out.

I used Roboform for so many years and I lost count. Then Roboform shifted the on premises to cloud and I moved to Dashlane.

Dashlane did the same and now I am on Bitwarden.

I like Bitwarden of all, and in fact I host Bitwarden on my computer and has a Two factor authentication to my phone.. so for $0 cost and all my passwords stay on my computer.

After I hosted Bitwarden on my computer, my entire family created their own accounts and have their passwords stored on my computer. Love it... 

2 hours ago, Krish said:

I used Roboform for so many years and I lost count. Then Roboform shifted the on premises to cloud and I moved to Dashlane.

Dashlane did the same and now I am on Bitwarden.

I like Bitwarden of all, and in fact I host Bitwarden on my computer and has a Two factor authentication to my phone.. so for $0 cost and all my passwords stay on my computer.

After I hosted Bitwarden on my computer, my entire family created their own accounts and have their passwords stored on my computer. Love it... 

Interesting.

37 minutes ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Interesting.

check it out on bitwarden.com they have 2FA (two factor authentication, using an app on phone for your account) and is free for public.

I used it the free one for few days, liked it better than roboform and Dashlane and decided to host it. Free is free but they store the passwords on their end, which is what 99% of them password managers do these days.

Try it, if you dont like it then you can delete your account. these guys are not part of open source group, who hate corporate giants😃 

I use password safe. it's open source so you can download and compile it or just trust the executable. It's completely local but you can locate the encrypted database to a binary cloud store if you want like onedrive.

If you're super paranoid you can buy a yubikey and use 2FA.

I use Datavault.

One time purchase, can be used across platforms, and is not stored on the company servers. Can sync with Dropbox if or so chooses, or local Wi-Fi sync.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

On 6/20/2020 at 11:44 PM, Burdell said:

Another vote for LastPass.  Free, easy and works across all devices.

Not using ANY of the online/app-based services...been around far too long to see services fail, start charging, get hacked, etc...

Mine are largely on sticky notes in different places around the office (I live on sticky notes).  They are coded to what they are in a manner that nobody else is apt to figure it out even if they FOUND where I had the note for an account. 

Also have a very obscure file kept on a computer that does not attach to the internet in any fashion.

How about a fingerprint scanner? Windows 10 has "Hello Fingerprint". 

I haven't tried it yet. Just a little leary of it since the password scanner didn't work on my phone.