Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Medical Collection Last Steps

Hi!  I'm trying to buy a house right now, and I already have it under contract.  My Lender said that I have to get my collections under $2,000.  So, I need to get these last 3 Medical Accounts gone relatively quickly.

I opted out and deleted old addresses. 

I sent the original HIPAA letter to all 3 agencies. TransUnion, Equifax and Experian verified saying it was a legitimate debt. 

I sent the Medical Dispute validation letters to Secured Resolutions (The CA) and the follow up dispute letters to Equifax and Experian and TransUnion.

I received a letter from all 3 CRAs stating the information I disputed has been verified as accurate. No other information given. 

I heard nothing back yet from Secured Resolutions and it's been 30 days at this point.

What can I do from here? I want to resolve this as quick as possible.  I wanted to see if I can do a PFD - Pay For Delete with the CA, or somehow just pay the Medical Provider and ask them to recall the debt.

Thank you for your help!

What was the date of medical services on these accounts?? Do you have the original bills?

Do you have your EOMBs ( explanation of medical benefits)from your insurance Co. for those dates of service??

If the accounts are recent ( within the past 2 years) and your EOMBs match the amounts on the CA accounts you can pay the OC ( original medical provider) with the HIPAA letter insert "a"

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

Thank you for your reply!  I do not recall the date of the medical services.  The CRA's don't provide that information (that I can see!  Forgive me if I've missed them). 

I do know the dates that they were reported to each CRA:

Sept. 10, 2015

and

Jan. 13 2016 (for two of them)

So the dates of service would definitely be older.  Can I still pay the OC?  Or is there something else I can do?

Again, thank you!

There is NO WAY you can pay anyone and have it deleted. 

These accounts are being reported by a JDB ( junk debt buyer)who has no current business relationship to the OC health care providers.

Let's recap what you did;

You followed the guides?

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

You sent the CRAs the initial dispute letter?

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

They ALL responded that the accounts remain?

You sent the reporting CA the medical DV

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

and then sent the CRAs the follow up dispute?

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

IF you followed ALL the steps then let us know and we will give you another way to get them off your reports. IF you skipped the initial steps, start over.

Speak to your lender and ask if he can do a "rapid rescore" or reconsider the medical collections as invalid as they are not your responsibility and you do not wish to pay the reporting CA as that would HURT your scores as the accounts would be reported as "paid" collections and since they would still be derogatory but NEWER your scores would go down. Tell them that you are willing to have the lender escrow the amount being reported so that you can properly pay the health care providers IF the accounts are valid. GET YOUR EOMBs

Yes.  To all questions. :)

I reached out to my Lender and she is adamant that the amount needs to be under $2,000k.  She says she will rapid rescore once they are paid.  I asked about the escrow thing, and she said no, the program won't allow it. ( I'm going through SONYMA)

Is there something else I can do?  Thank you for your time and attention!  I really was willing to just walking into the JDB office, since they are local, and just try to negotiate a PFD in their face lol.

Go ahead and see if they will negotiate a PFD. Perhaps if you do it in person and get a SIGNED release they MAY actually delete. In any case the receipt will satisfy your lender. ( If it were me I'd find another lender) Offer them 25% of what they are demanding and advise them that if they don't deal with you they will be dealing with your lawyer for violations of the FDCPA and FCRA as well as you're filing a complaint against them with the CFPB and OCR for violations of the HIPAA Privacy Act  https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/what-to-expect/index.html

Posted (edited)

I wish I wasn't going through SONYMA, but they're giving me "free" money to renovate a property in a rapidly gentrifying area.  I'm sure I already paid for this money with my taxes though. 🤔 LOL!

OK, I'll stop by tomorrow and see what happens.  I'll report back here when I am done.  I really wish I just had more time to try other things, but I really want to close and get this renovation started.  Renovation season should have been started back in April, but "Coronavirus", so things are backed up and I want to make sure I get a good contractor to wrap things up *this* year lol.  

I'll let you know what happens.  Again, THANK YOU. 🙏🏾

Edited by Journeyjeans

UPDATE: So I went to the location today to negotiate for a Pay To Delete in person.  The office is closed due to Coronavirus.  So I called the Collection Agency. My intent of calling was "just to see" if they do Pay To Delete.

Right off the bat I say "I will pay X amount in full of you delete.  Do you do this?"

She proceeded to say "No", and then proceeded to lie and say "but if you pay in full, you can dispute with the CRA later." 

So I said, okay, I'll call back (my intention was to call back and get another Rep to proceed to negotiate a settlement)

She said some BS about how every account doesn't qualify for settlements because it's up to the client blah blah blah.  When she said the word "client", I asked her to explain.  She said that for Medical Accounts that they work as the collection arms of the Medical Original Creditor's.  She even said if you want to deal with the OC I can, or I can deal with the CA...."

So, bottom line, I will call the OC tomorrow to see if this is true.  If they ARE meerly just collecting for the OC, and don't actually own the debt, what next steps would I need to do at that point to have the most favorable outcome of deletion of of my reports?

Should I pay the OC over the phone, and dispute with the CRA?  Should I do something else?  I'm not paying the collector, that's for sure!

Thank you for your help!

Pay the OC with the HIPAA letter insert "a"

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

FOLLOW ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY

Please make sure that your payment is in the form of a bank cashiers check or bank money order,(do not use a postal money order). THIS IS CONSIDERED THE SAME AS A CASH PAYMENT, that you make a photo copy of the front and back of the remittance, that your name and address are CLEARLY printed on the remittance, that it is made to the order of THE ORIGINAL HEALTH CARE PROVIDER, and that you print or type clearly in the endorsement section "For Deposit Only to the Account of (name of H.C. provider)(This of course allows your IRS deduction as a medical expense). MAKE SURE that you put the account # if available ( not the CA account # but from your original billing), in the "for" section on the front of the money order. If you do NOT have the original account # OR if you have several accounts with the SAME OC under ONE account #, put the name of the patient, date of service and patient's SS # in the "for" area.

I am providing you with a shortened version of the letter;

(Your Name)
(address)
(City,State, zip)
s.s.# (social security #)
HIPAA Compliance Office
( health care provider creditor)
(address)
(date)
Dear Sir/Madam;
This letter is in reference to (account #) for services provided to (name of patient) on (date of service).
In regard to the bill on this account in the amount of ($___)
Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of this account.
Please note, my remittance is payable ONLY to (hc provider) and may not be signed over or transferred to any third party collection agency, as this would constitute a violation of HIPAA Privacy Act rules.

Your furnishing of my account information to (collection agency name), is no longer in compliance with HIPAA's Privacy Act, and any subsequent reporting of this account on my credit reports to is a clear violation of Public Law 104-191 ("HIPAA") since there can be no permissible business purpose in divulging protected health information to anyone on an account once there is no longer any payment due.In addition the new Omnibus Final Rule states:when patients pay out of pocket in full, they can instruct their provider to refrain from sharing information.This letter serves as that instruction

Therefore I am requesting you promptly rescind all such account information furnished to (collection agency) and require them to purge their records of all reference to this account, and that you insure that any and all reporting of this account is immediately deleted from my credit reports.

I am reserving the right, to take appropriate legal and civil action including reporting to any applicable regulatory authorities any lack of cooperation or compliance with this request.

Sincerely,
signature
(Your Name)

(opt out FIRST) https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Provide your lender with a copy of the Bank check as PROOF that the account was paid. DO NOT give them a copy of the letter