Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

I am working on cleaning up a few items on my credit reports and not sure which way to start.  There are two Paid Collection medical bills showing on my reports, which is hurting my ability to rebuild my credit after divorce.  They both are being reported by the same medical collection agency that is a local company where I live.  They are both old, but still have a couple years to fall off my reports.  One for $73 has a delinquency date of 3/2015, assigned to collections 1/2016, paid in full 7/2016.  Last reported to credit bureaus on 6/2017,    The other one for $164 has a delinquency date of 5/27/15, assigned to collections 10/2016, paid in full 12/2016 and was last reported on May 18, 2020.  Should I call them and request a goodwill adjustment to have them remove the reporting, write a goodwill letter, or move to the HIPAA letter?  

I also have one account in collection status that I disagree with.  I had disputed it via the credit bureaus, but only got a notation in the credit reports that the debt was conforming, which I am sure means they contacted the collector and they said I owed the debt.  This is a credit card debt that appears to be sold to a collection agency.  The debt amount is $370, delinquency date 12/2018, turned to collection 6/2019.  I am not even sure what this is, but may just be continual late fee charges on account I though was closed.  Where should I start with this one?  Pay for delete or validation letter?

I made the mistake of ignoring my credit report after divorce in 2016 and have a thin file, but these three things are seriously hurting my ability to get a credit card acceptance.  I don't want to keep having hard credit pulls for applications when I know these items are a big reason why I am being turned down.

Thanks for letting me tell my story.

Lola2020

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin:  Pam, MarvBear, radi8, LKH & 😇breeze😇

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

The initial dispute letter should get you some resolution,

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

List ALL medical accounts as they are reporting on the CRA report you are disputing

Come back to this post for further instructions with your results. 

A "goodwill letter" is a waste of paper and postage. The CA reporting is likely a JDB ( junk debt buyer) and there is nothing but BAD WILL with any of them

Thamks Why Chat!  I have my three initial dispute letters along with credit report copies of accounts circled ready to be sent out in the morning.  I am working on a validation letter for the credit card debt that was apparently sold to a junk debt buyer.  I will post any updates to see where we go from any responses I receive.  Feels good to take control of my credit report that I had been ignoring until things hit the fan!  Hoping these things won't take too long to resolve.  I've gotten myself in a not so great situation due to letting my credit usage, type of account mix and not having any revolving debt since my divorce in 2016.  I didn't realize those things hurt your credit as well!

Today I received the last response after sending the CRA initial dispute letters for Medical Collections that have been Paid.  Both TransUnion & Experian deleted the accounts from my credit report.  Equifax did not.  They responded with "We have researched the collection account.  The results are:  We verified that this item belongs to you.  THE FOLLOWING FIELDS HAVE BEEN MODIFIED:  *STATUS DATE  *BALANCE DATE  *ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.  If you have additional questions about this item please contact:  Name, address & Phone for the medical collector office."  So these paid medical collections from 2015 are still sitting on my credit report.  What should my next steps be to try and get these two accounts removed from Equifax.  

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response;

Have you been following ALL the steps?

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

If you have opted out, deleted old addresses and sent the initial dispute letter to the CRAs the next step in the program is to send the CA the medical DV;

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

and to send Eq the follow up dispute

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

If you have done ALL of the above and Eq still has not deleted, then try this;

File a complaint against Eq with the CFPB

https://whychat.me/hipaaftccomp.html

I did the Opt Out, but have not deleted old addresses.  I will first delete old addresses with Equifax, then send the two recommended letters and hope that will end with a Delete on this item.

I have an additional question regarding a DV I sent to a CA that is not a medical collection.  The letter was signed as received by the CA on 6/29/20 and I have had no response.   This is an unpaid collection, which I think is a compilation of late fees.  The current CA is not the original CA.  The current CA sent a collection notice on June 15 and offered to have me pay a smaller balance to pay in full.  Balance amount is $369 and they offered payoff at a deep discount of $314!!!  (yes they included that many explanation marks in their letter.  I sent the DV letter after receiving the June 15 correspondence from the CA.  Also in May 2020, I disputed this collection with all three CB and recieved response that debt was valid.  It was an online dispute made before I discovered these boards.  

Based on the instruction on Why Chat's Credit Confusion Home, I arrived at this link:  https://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt-validation.shtml  I assume my next steps are #5 & #6.  I just wanted to confirm I am following the right process on this one as well.

Thanks for all the help and advice for working through this confusing maze.  I know in the long run iall this will payoff!

Thank you!

Lola2020

WHOA!! Please do NOT try to dispute NON medical accounts at the same time as medical accounts. The disputes will get merged in the CRA computer systems.

If you want to send a dispute/ validation letter to a CA  for a non medical account there is a program for that .

FIRST follow the INITIAL guide.

then AFTER you have obtained deletion of the medical accounts use this;

https://whychat.me/SOL PROGRAM GUIDE.html

Thank you Why Chat!  Let me back up on this.  First want to clarify the medical collections reporting as paid.  Here is what I have done so far:

1)  Opt Out

2)  Remove Old Addresses - did not do.  

2)  Send Initial Medical Dispute in blue ink to all three CRA.

3)  Received responses:  TU & EX deleted from credit reports.  Eq verified the debt with a reporting date from the CA of July 7, 2020

Next Steps should be:

4)  LETTER TO COLLECTION AGENCY ON MEDICAL ACCOUNT REPORTING AS PAID

5)  FOLLOW UP DISPUTE LETTER FOR BOTH TO CRA.

If next steps on the Medical Collection Reported as Paid are what I need to do, I will tackle this immediately.  Let me know if I need to remove Old Addresses before doing #4 to CA & #5 to Eq, let me know.  I have moved from the address that I lived at when the medical service was provided.  These medical collections are still in the SOL.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Why Chat said:

WHOA!! Please do NOT try to dispute NON medical accounts at the same time as medical accounts. The disputes will get merged in the CRA computer systems.

If you want to send a dispute/ validation letter to a CA  for a non medical account there is a program for that .

FIRST follow the INITIAL guide.

then AFTER you have obtained deletion of the medical accounts use this;

Just to clarify.  I misspoke on the dispute to the CRA for the NON Medical account.  I did not dispute the account or request DV.  Instead, at the request of the mortgage lender looking to refinance our home back in May, I requested they CRA's remove the word "DISPUTE" from the Comment Section of the Credit Report for this CA.  😧

OK, leave it alone until you have obtained a deletion of your medical accounts.

BTW, what was the date of your last on time payment on the NON medical account, what was the date of medical service on the medical accounts.

Last on time payment on NON medical debt would have been Sept or Oct 2018.  On the medical accounts, one shows Date of 1st Delinquency of 3/2015, Assigned 01/20/16 and paid in full 7/2016.  The other one shows Date of 1st Delinquency 5/2015, Assigned 10/2016 and paid 12/2016.  I don't have the actual bills or EOB's from those medical services.  

On the NON medical debt, I should wait until I resolve the medical debt with Eq before sending any additional correspondence to the CA or to the other two CRA?

Thanks for all the information!

I was just looking over the letter sent to me by Eq showing the paid medical collections were valid.  It is interesting that the letter is addressed to me with my name misspelled.  Is there anything to use there to get Eq to delete due to that?

Have you followed the guides?? Are your reports showing a different spelling of your name and/or an alternate SS#?? When you are getting the old addresses deleted you should correct any such errors at the same time.

I am following the guide.  However, I did not request deletion of old addresses.  I will be sending those letters out today.

How far back should addresses be deleted?  I have three different addresses between 2016 and Present.  I should probably keep those three and delete eveything else.   

You should try to delete addresses that were in effect on the dates of your medical services.( obviously other than your current address)

Is there a chance that sending the CA the LETTER TO COLLECTION AGENCY ON MEDICAL ACCOUNT REPORTING AS PAID, then sending  Eq the FOLLOW UP DISPUTE LETTER FOR BOTH TO CRA will trigger the CA to report again to Tu & Ex that ithese are a paid medical collection?  Both Tu & Ex deleted these collections from their reports after getting the NEW INITIAL DISPUTE LETTER?  Or with having the written notices from Tu & Ex, will that suffice for them to have to keep this off my report if the CA decided to report this as Paid Medical Collection say in 3 months?

I am still working on the medical collection that Eq did not delete, so have not followed up on anything regarding the DV letter I sent for the NON MEDICAL Collection on my credit reports.  But, I did receive a response from the CA to my DV letter.  The CA sent me copies of credit card statements from August 2018 - June 2019.  On the June 2019 statement, the is an attachment with the Capital One Card Member Agreement and a statement that the account was acquired by Bureaus Investment Group Portfolio and they own the account and may contact me directly, through affiliates or a third party.  There is also an Assignment notation in the credit card agreement.  They did not include a signed credit card  Attached to this packet was a letter from the CA saying:  "This letter is in response to  youuest for validation of debt that we received on 6/29/2020.  We forwarded your request to our client and they have send us the following statements."

OC:  Justice Store Credit Card - Capital One

CA:  Bureaus Investment Group Portfolio (Cap One Assigned to them in June 2019)

2nd CA:  D&A Services  

I believe this is improper DV and in doing some research, the BBB website has several complaints about this same thing for the Bureaus.  Wondering what my next move should be?

Thanks for all the advice!

1 hour ago, lola2020 said:

They did not include a signed credit card 

They can't include a signed credit card.  The only one who would have that is you.  If you meant a signed credit card agreement you know full well one does not exist and so do the courts if you are sued over this account. You are given a copy of the card agreement when you get the card but no consumer is asked to sign it.  Read the Terms it clearly states using the card and making payments forms the contract.  

CA:  Bureaus Investment Group Portfolio (Cap One Assigned to them in June 2019)

This is NOT a CA it is a JDB and your account was sold to them.  The second one is probably a CA for this JDB.

I believe this is improper DV and in doing some research, the BBB website has several complaints about this same thing for the Bureaus. 

What you believe is wrong.  This is WAY more than they needed to provide you for DV.  Not sending you everything you demanded does not make the DV improper.  Do not put too much validity into the BBB complaints because most consumers make the same exact mistake you did:  sending a sample letter for DV.  The majority on the internet are straight up WRONG and riddled with errors.  Most of what is listed isn't required for DV and all it tells the recipient is you know how to cut and paste but don't know your rights or the laws governing debt collection.  They sent you proof of assignment, statements, the name of the OC and amount owed.  That is DV.

Wondering what my next move should be?

Get ready for the lawsuit that will follow.  This is why you don't DV an account that is well within the SOL for suit.  All you risk doing is poking the bear.  If you are sued you will have to settle or defend because Cap1 removed arbitration as an option over a decade ago so that threat won't work.

53 minutes ago, CreditSucksNot said:

They can't include a signed credit card.  The only one who would have that is you.  If you meant a signed credit card agreement you know full well one does not exist and so do the courts if you are sued over this account. You are given a copy of the card agreement when you get the card but no consumer is asked to sign it.  Read the Terms it clearly states using the card and making payments forms the contract.  

I did not mean that.  i started a sentence and did not go back and delete that.  I know they wouldn't be able to send the signed card.  😌

The balance due is $369, which are mainly late fees charged by Capital One.  Should I sit back and wait to see if anything happens?  What about Pay for Delete?  Or make payment in full and be done?  I really want this off my credit report.  It is the only thing left on there that is dinging my scores.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lola2020 said:

I did not mean that.  i started a sentence and did not go back and delete that.  I know they wouldn't be able to send the signed card.  😌

Fair enough we have all done that.

2 hours ago, lola2020 said:

Should I sit back and wait to see if anything happens?  What about Pay for Delete?  Or make payment in full and be done?  I really want this off my credit report.  It is the only thing left on there that is dinging my scores.

For that small amount I would try for pay for delete.  No guarantees it works but my approach would be a letter that is personalized.  "I am writing because in this current economic climate may are struggling but due to the stimulus check I would like to offer to pay this in exchange for deleting the trade line from the bureaus it has been reported to.  After paying critical expenses I have $300 I can offer to settle this matter in full."  Doesn't matter if the story you give is accurate as long as it isn't fraud and gets the desired result.  Do NOT use a sample letter.  The more personal it is and straight to the point you have a better chance of success.

I would not sit and wait simply because if they sue they would be entitled to lawyer fees and court costs too and paying more than the debt is worse.  I would offer a flat $300 to start and see if it flies.

Edited by CreditSucksNot

I don't understand why anyone would EVER suggest a "pay for delete" with a CA on an account that is not only past SOL but is only reporting to one CRA

AT BEST you would get a "paid" collection account on your report, which is worse for your credit than an unpaid one because it is still derogatory but would be 4 years newer.

How far have you gone on the plan?

On 8/12/2020 at 4:17 PM, Why Chat said:

I don't understand why anyone would EVER suggest a "pay for delete" with a CA on an account that is not only past SOL but is only reporting to one CRA

AT BEST you would get a "paid" collection account on your report, which is worse for your credit than an unpaid one because it is still derogatory but would be 4 years newer.

How far have you gone on the plan?

WhyChat - The debt is still in SOL.  My state has SOL of 6 years.  The credit card was opened in August 2018 with last payment made in October 2018.  The balance showing owed is $369, which is an accumulation of late fees and interest up through May 2019.  The debt was sold to JDB in June 2019.  The debt is only about 2 years into the SOL.  

The CA is reporting to ALL THREE CRA's.

I guess I messed up on trying to fix this NON MEDICAL COLLECTION, and I really need to get this off my credit report.  If Pay for Delete is suggested, please let me know.  If there is another option, please advise.  I have a thin credit file and I am having trouble getting approved for anything so I can build my file. 

I did not know what the debt was for until I requested the DV.  But apparently, doing a DV while still in SOL is not a good idea.  I sent that DV before I found this site or the GUIDEBOOK.  I followed all the steps for Medical Collections Paid and was succesful in getting deletes from Tu & Ex.  Eq sent notification the debt was valid, so I am waiting on response from sending LETTER TO COLLECTION AGENCY ON MEDICAL ACCOUNT REPORTING AS PAID, then sending Eq the FOLLOW UP DISPUTE LETTER FOR BOTH TO CRA.  

Very much appreciate the advice and criticism!  I wish I had found CreditBoards before I started working on repairing my credit.

It is VERY unlikely you will be sued on this small account. My suggestion is to leave it alone until you have finished repairing your other problems. What makes you believe your State has a 6 year SOL for a store account?? Look up your State's regulations on my website.