American Home Shield (AHS) sent me to collections. Intent to cancel.

CB,

In Jan of 2020 I had intended to cancel my subscription to American Home Shield, a home warranty company.  My credit is impeccable, in the 800s and I want to keep it that way.  The short story is:

1. In Jan of 2020 I received a courtesy call stating my account had payment issues.  I updated my CC info over the phone and told them to zero my account and cancel.  The CSR couldn't do it and said someone would contact me from cancellations.  They never did.  I have no proof of this.

2. In Feb and March I received a call and told them to cancel me every time.  They never did.  Apparently I have to deal with the 'cancellations department' and the normal courtesy call CSR can't cancel for me.  Once again no proof as it's all verbal.

3. Sometime in Feb I apparently went on live chat and explicitly said I wanted to cancel.  They told me they couldn't do it and I had to call a number.  Per the logs I stopped responding to the chats.  I remember calling the number, waiting on hold for 30 minutes, and said screw this.

4. Sometime in March or May they closed my account and sent it to collections.

5. I received a call from "Nationwide Credit" in Jan telling them my American Home Shield account is in collections.  I didn't say anything and hung up.

Every time I dealt with this company I have had to Google executive contacts just to get anything done.  They are fragmented, disjointed, and overall have poor customer service.  Apparently I did not follow their process correctly..

They have not reported to the CRAs yet.  I want to get this taken care of before they report.  What have I done already.

1. Called AHS and waited on hold and played the phone game for hours.  Their customer service and sales department say I have a zero balance.  The cancellations\retention department said the account is in collections and there's nothing they can do.  When i request to speak to a supervisor they say there is a "two business day lead time to talk to a supervisor".  In general they are just rude and a very fractured\disjointed company.  One of their retention agents even said "Nationwide is our in house collection agency (lie) and we do not report to credit".

The regular CSRs at this company, even minor management can't do anything other than what their computer says.  It takes an executive to move mountains there.

2. Sent an email to every single executive I could find on Google explaining my intent to cancel and I want to settle this amicably.

My thoughts:

1. I can let it ride and dispute later.  Maybe nothing happens.  I really don't want something dumb like this to hit my credit.

-or-

2. I was thinking of mailing a check for the exact amount to AHS along with a standard bill payment coupon.  As fragmented as they are they will likely cash the check.  I now have proof this is paid.  My hope is when it does hit my credit I dispute with the CA\CRA and state this is an error and the account is paid in full.

-or-

3. Mail a few certified letters to their corporate HQ addressed to their CEO, VP of customer experience, general council, etc.  explaining the situation and how I want to clear my account.

-or-

4. Mail a certified letter to Nationwide credit stating I don't think the debt is mine but I want to pay it with an agreement not to report.  If it ever comes up again I have proof I paid.

-or-

5. Record a call (with permission) of me with a sales\customer service CSR that states I have a zero balance on the account.

What do you think is best?

-v0idNull

Edited by v0idNull

1) what did the contract specify with respect to obligations when canceling?  Many will require the request to be made in writing.

2) Resolution of the matter NOW will prevent it from moving to the report.  Nationwide is a placement entity and does not typically report.  However, prolonging the matter WOULD result in it moving somewhere that likely WILL report.

3) Pay what is owed and be done with it, following up with a letter canceling consistent with the Agreement. 

Having dealt with AHS from the contractor side (refused to actually) since their inception, I must say they are some of the worst to deal with I’ve ever run across. 

Agree 100% with centex. Read your contract and make sure you send your letter with delivery confirmation. Be prepared to follow up at least once. 

22 hours ago, centex said:

1) what did the contract specify with respect to obligations when canceling?  Many will require the request to be made in writing.

2) Resolution of the matter NOW will prevent it from moving to the report.  Nationwide is a placement entity and does not typically report.  However, prolonging the matter WOULD result in it moving somewhere that likely WILL report.

3) Pay what is owed and be done with it, following up with a letter canceling consistent with the Agreement. 

Thanks for the advice.

Apparently my EECB (Executive Email Carpet Bomb) worked.  A lady from executive relations reached out to me and said she's having accounting reach out to Nationwide to cease collections.  I followed up asking if I owe anything directly and will they 'sell' it to another agency.  Hopefully this serves as written proof this matter is settled.

Out of curiosity how would you deal with it in the event my EECB didn't work?  Pay Nationwide?  The general advice here is never never pay a CA without a 'pay for delete' or written confirmation they won't report.  Usually the CSR can't agree to do that and no one cares enough to agree to that over $100.  What would I do if the OC never responded?  Is it ok to pay a CA prior to reporting?

As per the contract I don't have the verbiage but supposedly you can just "call the cancellations department".  From now on should I just cancel these things in writing via certified mail\fedex to their main corporate HQ attn: Cancellations?

- v0idNull

Edited by v0idNull
1 hour ago, v0idNull said:

As per the contract I don't have the verbiage but supposedly you can just "call the cancellations department".  From now on should I just cancel these things in writing via certified mail\fedex to their main corporate HQ attn: Cancellations?

- v0idNull

At the risk of sounding flippant but being sincere, and with an eye toward helping others who are reading CB, from now on you (and everyone) should keep a copy of every contract you agree to. And certainly you should read, highlight and understand the cancellation section. Any company that has a contract that explicitly makes it difficult to cancel is a warning  sign that such company will be a pain, because the company is already acknowledging that people will want to cancel, and the company is preemptively making it difficult. 

In other words, never agree to a contract for an ongoing service UNLESS you understand with and agree to how to cancel. "From now on"

If you can't keep/find paper, maybe scan the contract or save it in the email? In a certain email folder to make it easier to find later?

1 hour ago, v0idNull said:

Out of curiosity how would you deal with it in the event my EECB didn't work?  Pay Nationwide?  The general advice here is never never pay a CA without a 'pay for delete' or written confirmation they won't report.  Usually the CSR can't agree to do that and no one cares enough to agree to that over $100.  What would I do if the OC never responded?  Is it ok to pay a CA prior to reporting?

You SHOULD have all relevant documents in a folder in your file of important papers...after all, the whole point of having AHS is to cover one of the most important purchases you ever make, so the coverage documents SHOULD be easily accessible.  Please make a habit of creating files for ALL important documents.  They won't care about providing additional copies to you and the best way to back your position is to have your original documents in hand...

The best way to keep someone from reporting is to make a payment before it gets reported.  You have that opportunity here.  You cannot demand a pay for delete where there is nothing to delete.  And a contingency placement is different than a purchaser.  There are ALSO some who just want to get out of paying what they were contractually obligated to have paid.  Guidance from years ago is not necessarily relevant to the present era...and yeah, I would have had no problem with paying Nationwide if I could not push a payment to AHS. 

Cancellation of a contract is ALWAYS best done in writing with some manner of tracking.  If someone insists on being lazy and trying to do it by phone, then they better be documenting everything from the fake name given to the reference number for the cancellation.  And THEN they had better ensure that they keep the hard copy of that cell phone bill which will contain the list of all numbers dialed (my statements include the toll-free numbers). 

29 minutes ago, centex said:

You SHOULD have all relevant documents in a folder in your file of important papers...after all, the whole point of having AHS is to cover one of the most important purchases you ever make, so the coverage documents SHOULD be easily accessible.  Please make a habit of creating files for ALL important documents.  They won't care about providing additional copies to you and the best way to back your position is to have your original documents in hand...

The best way to keep someone from reporting is to make a payment before it gets reported.  You have that opportunity here.  You cannot demand a pay for delete where there is nothing to delete.  And a contingency placement is different than a purchaser.  There are ALSO some who just want to get out of paying what they were contractually obligated to have paid.  Guidance from years ago is not necessarily relevant to the present era...and yeah, I would have had no problem with paying Nationwide if I could not push a payment to AHS. 

Cancellation of a contract is ALWAYS best done in writing with some manner of tracking.  If someone insists on being lazy and trying to do it by phone, then they better be documenting everything from the fake name given to the reference number for the cancellation.  And THEN they had better ensure that they keep the hard copy of that cell phone bill which will contain the list of all numbers dialed (my statements include the toll-free numbers). 

Point taken.  To be honest in the era of computers I throw most of my mail and paperwork away.  Take car or homeowners insurance.  I rely on the fact that I can call the 1800 number, give them my SSN, and they find my account or I file a claim on the portal.  If I need a copy I demand they send it over PDF and they typically do.  Bad habit I know and I will be better about that.

In the future if I were to pay a CA say Nationwide.  Is there anything that prevents them from reporting "paid in full" when there was no report to begin with.  That's what I wanted to avoid.

1 hour ago, swimmingwithsharks said:

At the risk of sounding flippant but being sincere, and with an eye toward helping others who are reading CB, from now on you (and everyone) should keep a copy of every contract you agree to. And certainly you should read, highlight and understand the cancellation section. Any company that has a contract that explicitly makes it difficult to cancel is a warning  sign that such company will be a pain, because the company is already acknowledging that people will want to cancel, and the company is preemptively making it difficult. 

In other words, never agree to a contract for an ongoing service UNLESS you understand with and agree to how to cancel. "From now on"

If you can't keep/find paper, maybe scan the contract or save it in the email? In a certain email folder to make it easier to find later?

I agree.  I do find that with most things I 'sign up for' I don't actually sign a contract.  Take AHS.  I never signed anything.  I simply called the 1800 number and signed up.  They did send me a contract but it was after the fact.  I have no idea of their cancellation policy other than 'call the number'.

Same goes for my auto insurance.  I just call the 1800 number.  There is no 'signing'

Edited by v0idNull
3 hours ago, v0idNull said:

Point taken.  To be honest in the era of computers I throw most of my mail and paperwork away.  Take car or homeowners insurance.  I rely on the fact that I can call the 1800 number, give them my SSN, and they find my account or I file a claim on the portal.  If I need a copy I demand they send it over PDF and they typically do.  Bad habit I know and I will be better about that.

In the future if I were to pay a CA say Nationwide.  Is there anything that prevents them from reporting "paid in full" when there was no report to begin with.  That's what I wanted to avoid.

On the first paragraph, you lose far too much time waiting to recreate what was supplied to begin with...much easier to just go to the file cabinet and retrieve what is needed than to call a toll-free number and HOPE you get someone with a firing synapse.

On the second, an entity that does not own the paper generally is not going to be able to report.  They don't own the paper.  That has been made clear.  And in ANY collection activity, the verbiage generally makes very clear whether it is owned or contingency...

13 hours ago, shifter said:

Forget all this. Pay AHS directly for any balance due and then use my sticky thread letter to the CA. Be done with this before breakfast. 

Thanks.  I actually got this taken care of with executive escalation.  For the future though what do you do when the CSR 'can't accept payment' due to the computer not letting them since it's in collections?  Just mail them a check anyway and hope they cash it.  If they cash it consider it paid?   Should I include a letter with it or just straight up mail the check?

I read your process.  What prevents the CA from simply reporting 'paid in full'?  That's just as bad.

Edited by v0idNull
35 minutes ago, v0idNull said:

I read your process.  What prevents the CA from simply reporting 'paid in full'?  That's just as bad.

As previously stated:

"On the second, an entity that does not own the paper generally is not going to be able to report.  They don't own the paper. That has been made clear.  And in ANY collection activity, the verbiage generally makes very clear whether it is owned or contingency..."