Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Posted (edited)

Hi

I would like to refinance my current house,I purchased my house back in 2017, for 300k

I did  80 and 20 to avoid a PMI,

My 1st mortgage was 4% and 2nd (  20 % )was 6,5% .

I could refinance for 15 yrs @ 2.75 % rate, or 3.375% for 20yrs.

Which is the best route ? I know 15Yrs will save  me tones of interest.

The difference in a payment is about $269  more .

Should I go with a 20yrs and pay $200 more toward my principal ? or pay $269 go with 15 Yrs.

My goal is to own my house in 10 yrs ,pay extra  toward my principals .

Also the closing cost in 15Yrs is only $500 the 20 yrs is $1500 .

Are these fees negotiable ?

Any  suggestions  ?

Edited by frenchy69

Posted (edited)

I have a rental property ,which I  purchased back in 2006 my daughter is currently  renting it .

I am with OCWEN  which I hate ,I know its the worst bank  . 

my interest rate is 5.25%  with them .

I am currently paying $1296 a month.I have been paying $100 every month toward my principals .

I could refinance it at 3.375% right now with federal credit union.

Should I refinance it for 15 yrs ,but my closing cost is going to be  about $2000 .

My loan officer said I could roll that as long as the LTV is about 75%.

I believe my house is worth about 170k I owe 122k.

How do I determine the LTV on the house ?

I think its good idea since I am saving in interest .

Thanks for your help  and suggestions .

Edited by frenchy69

LTV is loan amount divided by (appraised) value.

122,000 / 170,000 = 71.7%

How many years do you have left on your current mortgage?

I purchased this property in october of 2006 still have 16 yrs.

Thank you for a quick reply.

I think it would be a great idea to re-finance,I did some math my mortgage will be around $1100.

aim paying $1325 I pay $100 toward my principals .total of $1425 

just checked I have 183 payments remaining my interest  right now is  5..5% that's too high.

I am with mortgage question ,They purchased it from Ocwen .

If I refinance my interest would be 3.375% 

I currently owe   :$121,762.64

Mortgage Amount:
$1,253.27
Additional Principal:
$100.00
Total Payment:
$1,353.27

Here's an easy self-service tool to calculate how much total interest you will incur with various options:

https://www.calculatestuff.com/financial/loan-amortization-calculator

In order to compare total loan costs for each option, just add the upfront fees to the total interest for each one.

13 hours ago, frenchy69 said:

Also the closing cost in 15Yrs is only $500 the 20 yrs is $1500 .

Loan costs and interest rates work in tandem, you can't compare them out of context.  You have to compare total costs as described immediately above.

3 hours ago, frenchy69 said:

I purchased this property in october of 2006 still have 16 yrs.

Thank you for a quick reply.

I think it would be a great idea to re-finance,I did some math my mortgage will be around $1100.

aim paying $1325 I pay $100 toward my principals .total of $1425 

You can't determine your savings by just adding up payments, since part of each payment goes to interest and the rest goes to principal (the principal portion is yours to keep in the form of equity in the home).

I am about to close , I am deciding between 15 yrs or 20 yrs ,
15 yrs is 2.75%
20 is 3.375%

Payment difference is about $279
What do you guys think ?
I was thinking if I pay that extra
$ 200 toward my principal.

I don’t know ,
I would like an opinion on this .

Thank you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, frenchy69 said:

I am about to close , I am deciding between 15 yrs or 20 yrs ,
15 yrs is 2.75%
20 is 3.375%

Payment difference is about $279
What do you guys think ?
I was thinking if I pay that extra
$ 200 toward my principal.

I don’t know ,
I would like an opinion on this .

Thank you .

Easy, do the 15 (shorter term AND lower rate).

Thank you for all your help .

Iam going with a 15yrs 2.75% .
That’s no brainer .My goal is to pay my house in about 7yrs .

Refinancing my other house as well .
That property is considered as investment ,therefore the rate is 3.375% at 15 yrs.
Iam fine with that compares to 5.5 ,
I am happy .
Thanks guys for all your responses .

On 6/11/2020 at 9:20 AM, cv91915 said:

Easy, do the 15 (shorter term AND lower rate).

And then STILL throw extra towards it each month, specifying that it is to go towards principal.

That’s what I have been doing since I’ve purchased my homes .
I put 2
$200 on one mortgage.
$325 on the other .

Like I said my goal is to pay both mortgages in 7 yrs .
Thanks for all your inputs .
This is a great site .. better than David Ramsey lol

Hello again
Well yesterday was the day of my closing .
I went in ,to my surprise they tried to collect $3600.
I explained to my loan officer if there is any closing cost .
I would like to roll them into my loan .
Is this normal fees I should be paying ?
They said I need to pay my escrow up front .
My escrow has already been paid in June of this year .
If it was distributed why should I pay it again ?

I never refinanced before ,can someone explain all this fees upfront ? What I should be paying ?

I called my officer which is he’s very nice he will try to roll them into my loan but he has to reschedule my closing day again .
Also he did ask me how much I can come up with ?
Are this fees their profit ?
I have almost $80,000 positive equity in my house
I went to refinance for shorter term and of course A lower % rate .
Thank you

When I refinanced, the lender that I used, required me to fund my escrow (No option to roll into the loan, and I would not have done that anyway), with a balance approximate to what the balance of the escrow was with my original lender.  Once the original lender received full payment of the mortgage, the original lender sent me a check for the escrow balance I had with them.  The balance of the escrow was not transferable between lenders. 

You should have received a Closing Disclosure three days before your closing date.  Did you review yours in advance?

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/owning-a-home/closing-disclosure/   (Since your transaction is a refi, there won't be separate columns for borrower and seller on page 2.)

Prepaid items are normal on a refinance.  

Even if escrow wasn't required (is it required or did you tell them you want it?) there would still be prepaid interest due at closing to cover the time between that day and your first payment.

Prepaids ensure that there are sufficient funds in your escrow account when future tax and insurance is due.  It's your money (not profit to the originator) and it's used to pay bills that you are responsible for.

You will receive a refund of the unused escrow balance for your current mortgage.

I'd be happy to look at your Closing Disclosure if you want to post it -- or PM me.  Either way, please redact personal info.

I just re-financed today at 2.75% for 15 years,  

I believe this is the best decision Ive ever made in my life.

Cutting half of your mortgage in half is the best investment decision in your life.

Now I can't wait to pay my house off.

Thanks for all your help 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SMViera
      New account...old user. Hopefully I can get some good advice from the experts here. I am hoping to refinance my mortgage and have some questions about how to proceed.

Info:

Salary: 78K/year..solid employment in the medical field. Same employer for the past 8 years
      Scores at the moment: Mid score is 690, clean report with no negatives on any. My scores have dropped due to high utilization of CC
      DTI: high (75%)

I built and closed on my house in Nov 2018. 
      Owe: $295,000
      Value: $400,000 (give or take a few thousand) I put 20% down to avoid PMI
      Current interest rate 5.25% 😕

By the end of this month, I will have paid off 32K in CC debt. I will have an additional 20K left on my reports but on cards with high CL's so my utilization will be low on the ones that are left. 

Other monthly obligations:
      Car #1 $657/month
      Car #2 #330/month
      CC's: $400/month (remaining 20K that is left over..this is an estimation but should be pretty close)

So here is what I am hoping will happen (keep in mind...could be very different from reality as I really don't have a lot of knowledge about this) That's why I am here.

I am hoping to wait until June to start the refinance process once all the cards that I am paying down have a chance to update to zero balances. What are the chance my scores would boost up to the 740+ mark (wishful thinking??) I want to pull out some of the equity to pay the remainder of the CC's, would this be an option or advisable? I assume that if pulling money out leaves less than 20% equity in the house then I would have to start paying PMI...is that correct? 

Am I taking a risk waiting until June? Although to be honest I doubt I will be approved which my current DTI. 
      What are the chances of me getting approved at all?
      Is there anything else I should be considering?

I will say that I am working two jobs at the moment which is how I am paying down my cc debt. Its only a six week contract but pretty lucrative. Will that income factor in to my DTI? 

Thank you,
      -S

• By FunnyDonut
      Short Answer: It saves you a lot of money
      According to a recent research from Freddie Mac, the average borrower could save $1,500 just by getting one extra rate quote when applying for their mortgage. With five quotes, they could save $3,000 or more.

Wow, so I should really do it. But how exactly should I do mortgage shopping?

Preparation: Estimate your mortgage rate
      There is an old Chinese saying from The Art of War that “If you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles.” That’s exactly why this step matters. Having a rough idea of what interest rate you can expect is crucial for you to play well in this game.

There are many factors that determined your interest rates including base rate (update daily), loan amount, location, LTV (loan to value ratio), credit score, house type (single family vs condo) etc.

So to help yourself estimate, you can talk to your friends who have done mortgage recently and ask about their rates and how they get them. There are also some anonymous mortgage reporting site (such as rate.exposed) to get more data point. Keep in mind the best way to estimate your rates is comparing with people with similar cases.

Now, let’s pick up the phone and start dialing

You can follow the steps here:
      Call 5 lenders, ask them to quote and write the numbers down Find the best quote from the 5 lenders, let’s call it lender A Call the rest 4 lenders again asking them to match (or even beat) the quote from lender A. If you get a quote better than lender A, go back to step 2 and step 3 to call the rest to match Until the number can’t go lower and the rate is within your expectation.

Extra Tip 1: Ask for special program
      Different lenders have different promotional program. For example, Wells Fargo has relationship discount where for every $250k asset you move to WF bank account, you get your rate reduced by 0.125%.
      You might just save yourself $10k but just a simple ask

Extra Tip 2: Credit Hard Pull
      Many people are worried about hurting the credit scores by having too many lenders hard pull your credits. In fact, if you do them within a short period of time, multiple credit inquiries will combine to count as only one.
      Also, if you know your credit score in advance, you can simply just ask them not to pull and tell the lender the number. That should be more than enough for lenders to come up with a quote for you.

Extra Tip 3: Pay attention to fees
      Some lenders do the trick to lower your interest by increasing some less obvious fees including closing costs, points, etc. So whenever you get a mortgage quote, always look at the full picture before making any decision.
    • By nfinity8
      Hello everyone,
      I've been a member here for years and this site has helped me immensely!!  This is the first time I have posted a question because I wasn't able to find an answer in the search.  I am trying to refi my property but my credit scores are too low because of high balances on my credit cards.  Score is 603 and all payments have been made on time and never missed (need to raise my credit score close to 700 for refi).  Most of my cards are close to limit.  I just received a personal loan of $44,000 to pay down my cc's but now I'm wondering which route to take: Do I pay off a few CC's or do I pay down the balances of multiple credit cards?  I need to raise my credit score as quickly as possible and I'm not sure which way would help raise my credit scores the fastest?  I'm trying to do this in the next week or two and do a rapid score at the end of the month.  Thanks in advance for any advice!
      $14,000 Limit - Balance $13,549
      $8,300 - Balance $8170
      $1400 - Balance $1583
      $15,190 - Balance $14,883
      $16,700 - Balance $16,810
      $6000 - Balance $9613
      $7126 - Balance $6740
      $5000 - Balance $5000
      $32,000 - Balance $31,720
    • By jasummers76
      Hello,

I tried to do a FHA refi on a first mortgage that has never been late and a second with no payments in many many years.

Well the FHA now requires all mortgages on the property too have a on time 12 month history.

I am already in the process of my attorney working on a modification of the second defaulted loan.

But we want too have a back up. Any ideas of other refi loans that this wouldn't be a issue with?
    • By fixinmycrediks
      Hello,

I went ahead and dove into the new truck (previous posts debating back and forth etc).  I will sell the used truck on craigslist/hoping to come out better than the $800-$1k the dealership mentioned.

I prequalified through CapOne first, $35k at 7.85%.  Truck cost more so I ended up with 9.99% at PNC.  CapOne would not go up the few grand which I understand. My credit scores (fico 8 ) are 624 to 636 but of course different with the versions used for auto financing.  Understanding where my credit sitrep stands I was ok with the CapOne 7.85%.  

Updating my goal board as to when I should target refinancing the auto loan?  I have over 10 inquires, only 3 offers (3rd was way higher); so lesser of the weevils (Master and Commander movie reference...lol).  DCU keeps popping up in financing/refinancing successes with challenged credit in my searches.  Just looking for advice on how long to wait (3-6-12 months etc), who to try at that point, pros/cons.

I thought of trying DCU now since still within the week of purchase and hoping that INQ gets counted in with the other batch.  Any experience out there if CapOne would be interested in 5-6 months?  I believe the installment payments will give a good boost to my scores since I don't have an open installment on one credit report and the other 2 list my Santander(not due off until beginning of 2020).

CapOne I have 2 credit cards (1 unsecure, 1 secure) and have done great ontime payments, one auto CLI etc within the last 6-7 months with them.  I am keeping in mind another lesson on here of too many eggs in one basket; but I think they were better in the offerings above for the relationship of on-time payments/usage this year/rebuilding.

Thoughts??

Thanks!!!

(hope this is not a double post as I had to log back in and resubmit)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    EpoxyKing
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines