How long does it take to Prep a Used car to be sold?

cryix47

The last post in this topic was posted 834 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I recently found a used car that isn't ready to be sold. The dealership website says "Coming soon" The dealership is a place that specializes in Bad Credit with ads that offer financing with just $800 per month gross income. The reviews about the dealership are great on Dealer Rater, so I'm not overly concerned about having a bad experience. I went to the dealership to get paperwork done today, but for some reason the vehicle that I want isn't ready to be sold. I was given the time frame of one week by the sales person.

Is this normal? They just added the vehicle to their inventory 2 days ago. It's a 2017 Mazda3.... Would inspection be time consuming? There was a back and fourth between the sales person and a manager. She asked several times about having the car prepped for delivery. It seems strange.

2 hours ago, cryix47 said:

I recently found a used car that isn't ready to be sold. The dealership website says "Coming soon" The dealership is a place that specializes in Bad Credit with ads that offer financing with just $800 per month gross income. The reviews about the dealership are great on Dealer Rater, so I'm not overly concerned about having a bad experience. I went to the dealership to get paperwork done today, but for some reason the vehicle that I want isn't ready to be sold. I was given the time frame of one week by the sales person.

Is this normal? They just added the vehicle to their inventory 2 days ago. It's a 2017 Mazda3.... Would inspection be time consuming? There was a back and fourth between the sales person and a manager. She asked several times about having the car prepped for delivery. It seems strange.

I would run. If they only advertise they need $800 a month to get you financed you will get jacked up in interest and probably get your car repoed. I would not be doing business with them if I were you.

• Admin

It depends on how efficient the Used Car Manager is, or whomever takes on those responsibilities. Plus add one day for a full detail.

When I traded in my Corvette it sat on the side of the building where I usually parked it for over a month before it was even brought into the shop for a look-see.

Very few stores are so well organized that it is a swift process.

Sounds like something that they got over the weekend.  Any decent shop SHOULD have their mechanics looking it over and then you would also see some manner of decent detailing.  I went through this with one of the X-Types.  The car was not filthy but the leather, including the steering wheel, was going to benefit from a good cleaning.  As it was a manual that they really didn't want to have to deal with, I told them to knock another $300 off and I would deal with it on my own...they were ok with that.  BUT...I had experience with the make and model, and they were not a Jaguar dealership, and I was a cash buyer...I'm guessing they STILL made money on the deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

The last post in this topic was posted 834 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.