Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Should I close these credit card accounts?

I used this platform about 4-5 years ago to clean up my credit and it was a big success using all of the help from the amazing people here. However, prior to that I opened five rinky dink credit cards from the only company's that would approve me. I now have cards that are not secured and have been in good standing for a long time. My question is should I close these remaining rinky dink cards listed below because they still charge me monthly fees to keep them open? I'm tired of having to keep track and pay these fees on a monthly basis. How will closing these accounts hurt my AAoA? Thank you!

First Premier Bank - Balance is $o.oo Fees per month $14.25 - Credit limit - $1000 - Opened 7 years ago

First Premier Bank - Balance $0.00 - Fees per month $8.00 - Credit limit - $700.00 - Opened 6 years ago

Credit One Bank - Balance $0.00 - Fees per month $6.25 - Credit limit - $600.00 - Opened 5 years ago

Merrick Bank - Balance $0.00 - Fees per month 4.00 - Credit limit $1450.00 - Opened 8 years ago

NONE of those cards are of value at the present time.  The ONLY time a fee makes sense on ANY card is if you are at least extracting the value of the fee from the card.  You will NEVER do that with those cards. 

Further, they are not cards that are going to grow, which means that keeping them open is keeping a festering boil on your four major reports. 

Close them and don't look back.  While they would ordinarily report for another decade, you may be able to work on getting them off through some manner of dispute. 

It's a personal decision, but you're paying at least $32.50 a month and $390 a year to keep those lines open. I can't really speak to the effect on account age, but how many other accounts do you have and how old are they?

You could replace all four with an Amex Gold card and recoup $140 before benefiting at all from credits or points. 

18 hours ago, smartlypretty said:

It's a personal decision, but you're paying at least $32.50 a month and $390 a year to keep those lines open. I can't really speak to the effect on account age, but how many other accounts do you have and how old are they?

You could replace all four with an Amex Gold card and recoup $140 before benefiting at all from credits or points. 

This^^^

Without more info, I would keep the 8 yo Merrick card and close the rest.

Centex steers you right.  FICO scores the age of open and closed accounts into AAoA.  Assuming that you have at least 3 solid open accounts in addition to these, it's time to ditch these monthly fee pigs.