Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

STBFDW's Vehicle Purchase

As part of our pending civil proceedings, we discussed the vehicle situation. Car has over 200K miles and nine years old, the truck is 4 years old and in very good condition, but it also still has a loan on it, all in my name only. So she decided she wanted a new vehicle and get it on her credit alone. Ok, great. I'll sign over the title to the car and you'll be good to go.

So last night (Thursday) we go "looking".... now Marv can tell anyone here that "looking" customers can be turned into "buying" customers if everything works right .... she looked at various ones online, printed out some she wanted to look at, and away we went. Found the one she was really interested in so she goes to find a salesperson. At this point I'm rather surprised normally within 5 minutes of wandering a lot, five salespeople in plaid jackets are homing in on my location. I guess COVID-19 has changed things such as that. Anyway...

We're using manufacturer employee pricing so that's pretty much fixed, no bargaining there. They asked what I expected to get for the trade, I rattled off the number I looked up on KBB.com, they said "no problem". Oh crap ... shoulda gotten greedy and asked for more.

Since its her purchase, she went in and dealt with the salesman and F&I. She wanted me to go in there with her and I said "This is your deal, and its all on you so you handle it" .. "But you know how car dealers treat women!" ... anyway.....

So I go wandering around drooli .... admir .... lusting over ... having wet dreams about ... looking at the Roush Mustangs and Shelby GT350 Cobras. Finally they bring me into the F&I office to sign over the trade title and sign the title PoA. So while chatting with the F&I I thought I'd be slick and rattle off some of my MarvBear Power F&I Vocabulary Terms, referring to things like "hanging the paper", "underwriters", "Adverse Action Notice", "moving metal", asking what tier she qualified for (Tier 0 for FMCC) and the all important FICO and the bazillion iterations of that. He looked at me and asked what dealership I worked for .. I said never. He said no way, only people who are in the industry even knows what that those things are and what they mean. HA!

So the loan STBFDW got - FMCC, 0% (yay!) for 84 months (SMDH!) including full warranty and pre-paid maintenance for 100K miles. I think the final number was around $550 per month or so. Pulled EX with FICO of 767.

Well I am glad you were able to handle the issue in a satisfactory manner...and that it isn't your problem when the shizz hits the fan at month 55 and she is still underwater on that 84 month note.

For future reference, mfg. pricing can be used as a tool, but doesn't have to be the bottom line, it's just a starting point.

11 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

that it isn't your problem when the shizz hits the fan at month 55 and she is still underwater on that 84 month note.

D@mn right. I did gently remind her that paying in excess of the monthly would be better, and she better plan to keep that vehicle for most of that 84 months.

11 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

For future reference, mfg. pricing can be used as a tool, but doesn't have to be the bottom line, it's just a starting point.

I've bought Fords on A/Z for years, there's never any bargaining on the price, just on the trade. I don't know if GMS or whatever FCA calls their program is any different or not.

These A-Z plans are a PITA to document regardless of the manufacturer.  The dealer better have his paperwork in order because they do get audited.  If you have not made the proper disclosures, then the dealer loses the funds paid by the manufacturer.  FCA forms I hated to complete.  Customer must sign all of them too.

Anyways, glad to hear you got all this behind you now,  84 mos at 0% 😬

4 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

D@mn right. I did gently remind her that paying in excess of the monthly would be better, and she better plan to keep that vehicle for most of that 84 months.

I've bought Fords on A/Z for years, there's never any bargaining on the price, just on the trade. I don't know if GMS or whatever FCA calls their program is any different or not.

No my point was that the mfg. pricing should be the most you will pay.  You can always negotiate a price that is better than what you would receive from using the mfg. pricing.

For example, I had special pricing available from Audi which was 6% off MSRP (which is pretty solid for Audi), however I was able to negotiate 8% off without using the program (dealer was motivated).

23 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

For example, I had special pricing available from Audi which was 6% off MSRP (which is pretty solid for Audi), however I was able to negotiate 8% off without using the program (dealer was motivated).

Motivated dealers DO tend to work some magic...that is how I got the F-Type at the price I got...brand new, never titled 2016 purchased in late 2017 for more than $32K off of MSRP.  It had been on their website for north of $75K as I recall.  Neither that price nor my purchase price were ever going to have been confused with invoice or employee pricing.  But they KNEW they needed to move a '16 with the '18 models about to hit the lots...