Shelley Tanner ended up regretting accepting help from her credit union during the pandemic

hegemony

The last post in this topic was posted 920 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

32 minutes ago, centex said:

As tends to be the case with the 'victim' stories, there is ALWAYS a story behind the story...

Yeah, something doesn't quite add up in this story.  Usually multiple parties review an account before an account is placed for repossession (in every company I've worked for anyway) - and something as simple as a payment shortage of less than a $1 per month would not have resulted in a unit being picked up.

20 minutes ago, NorCalR1 said:

Sounds like the CU is on the right side of the law. So why bother?

"As a result, she said, Mid Florida has decided to pay the $400 repossession fee and pay to have her car towed back to her."

The court of public opinion matters a lot in these cases.  Once the CU found out a reporter was running a story on it, they probably felt eating < $1k presented them in a better light than trying to justify repossessing a nurses car during a pandemic (even if her pay history merited it).

Edited by gerray

She's not only a member, but also an owner at the CU.

Who wants to be in business with someone who doesn't hold up their end of the deal?

Seriously though. I hope Ms Nurse realizes this was ultimately a PR move by the CU, and not because she thinks they all of a sudden had empathy and compassion. 

3 hours ago, centex said:

As tends to be the case with the 'victim' stories, there is ALWAYS a story behind the story...

The whole thing doesn't add up.  

"Tanner said she was told that the audit showed her account had been flagged for a repossession because her payments have been short by 66 cents each month."

HOW?  I repeat HOW does she not know what her payment amount is and that it has been short for at least a year or more? 

“Please be assured that while the State of Florida does not require prior notice of repossession, our goal is to help members maintain their vehicle. Before we move to a repossession, we attempt to contact the member by phone, mail and even door-knock service (which provides a hand delivered notice if the member answers at the physical address provided) so that we can work with them to make suitable short term arrangements.”

Tanner insists that didn’t happen in her case."

She insists that no one every contracted her to tell her that the account was behind and flagged for repo. REALLY?  I get a statement from the creditor on my car loan EVERY MONTH.  It spells out what I paid last month, what my minimum payment is, balance, and amount due next payment.  Now I pay more than the minimum each month so in theory I don't owe the minimum because I have been over paying but that is to reduce my interest  not because I am going to skip a payment. 

How does she not know how much her payment is, how much she paid, and that she is behind?  She got VERY lucky that "News on Your Side" took up her cause and painted her as a victim for public outrage and sympathy. Personally she should have had to pay to get the car back.  

5 hours ago, gerray said:

The court of public opinion matters a lot in these cases.  Once the CU found out a reporter was running a story on it, they probably felt eating < $1k presented them in a better light than trying to justify repossessing a nurses car during a pandemic (even if her pay history merited it).

If they're smart, they also offered a $200 cash payment upon successful refinance of the car with another lender ...

The last post in this topic was posted 920 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.