SOL? Settle? Any advice appreciated.

Situation: Capital Management Services collecting for Citibank.

Opened 2013 or earlier in Louisiana.

DOFD : August 2016.

Balance showing: just under $6,000.

Showing as CO and reporting monthly.

Original credit limit $5,000, was never maxed out.

Moved to Florida June 2017.

CMS offering to settle for under $1200.

Questions:

Does the Louisiana SOL of 3 years still apply?

Does CMS pay for delete?

Should I settle? Looking to purchase. home in about a year.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Settling will HURT your credit, not help it as it will be reported as a "paid" collection settled for less than the balance.Because it will still be a derogatory BUT NEWER it will sink your credit scores.

https://whychat.me/States/state-fl.html

Florida has a 4 year SOL, however it also has a rule that says;

95.10 Cause of action arising in another state.
--When the cause of action arose in another state or territory of the United States, or in a foreign country, and its laws forbid the maintenance of the action because of lapse of time, no action shall be maintained in this state.

So you are still beyond the 3 year SOL from La.

Try this;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/SOL PROGRAM GUIDE.html

You will need to review Florida statutes to see when you acquired protections under Florida law.  In MANY locales, you are a 'resident' after twelve months, and since that would be less than three years from the default, you likely have no protections under Louisiana law EXCEPT and UNLESS the Agreement expressly stated that Louisiana law was controlling. 

Any settlement should be conditioned upon a deletion by the reporting entity.  You are looking to purchase a home, so you ARE going to have to resolve this in some form or fashion...OR put the purchase off until after 2023 and hope the mortgage underwriter does not pull a full-factual.  

21 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Settling will HURT your credit, not help it as it will be reported as a "paid" collection settled for less than the balance.Because it will still be a derogatory BUT NEWER it will sink your credit scores.

https://whychat.me/States/state-fl.html

Florida has a 4 year SOL, however it also has a rule that says;

95.10 Cause of action arising in another state.
--When the cause of action arose in another state or territory of the United States, or in a foreign country, and its laws forbid the maintenance of the action because of lapse of time, no action shall be maintained in this state.

So you are still beyond the 3 year SOL from La.

Try this;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/SOL PROGRAM GUIDE.html

+1,000.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Diana2021
      Any advice is much appreciated! 

I graduated with my masters in Aug 2020 and havent had a full time job since Dec 2019. My mom was laid off because of covid in March 2020 and I stopped making payments to credit cards after graduating from my masters (Sept 2020) because my student loans stopped coming and my mom could barely make her own mortgage payments. Since Sept 2020, Ive severely damaged my credit and am now in over $27k cc debt. 

I've since moved to Europe and don't plan to come back to the US, at least not for several years, to pursue lower cost education here. 

I don't know how to proceed with my cc debt because I've been told since my credit is already tanked that it wouldnt matter if I pay off my debt, attempt to lower my 23-25% interest rates on my 9 credit cards, or try to negotiate a lower payoff. 

I work part time remotely for a client in the US but the work is random and not guaranteed. The most I've made since I started with her in Dec 2020 was $1100 a month. 

I contacted a debt consolidation law firm in the US but they want to charge me a $750 retainer and then $600 a month for 36 months to pay off my cards. Im waiting to hear if they guarantee these cards will be paid. 

No idea how to proceed and feeling overwhelmed because I want to do the right thing but Im drowning in interest rates and have called two banks to talk with them only to be yelled at and shamed. 

Do you have any advice for me?
    • By blackinkv2
      Hi everyone, I hope this is in the right place. I was dumb during college and used the paypal credit as a way to fund other activities and I disregarded the payments (bad information, originally thought they wouldn't report to my credit). So now they have transferred it to midland credit. They have sent me letters for settlements of 5k with payment payments etc. After checking CK, the debt is currently 1 year old and has impacted my credit score. I don't have the money to pay the full amount back. What are some of my options?  

Thank you taking the time to read this.
    • By Wealthwomaninthemaking
      Hello, I received a Collection letter in the mail today. I called and the woman on the phone stated can you pay a lower payment and I said yes. I know this was a mistake. But she said she will check with her manager and call me back. The collections is from a 2017 hospital bill. But there is nothing on my credit from this agency or the hospital. My questions are do I pay this debt that is not on my credit? If I do pay is will the company report to the credit bureaus? Or do I send a validation letter? I’m leaning towards not paying it but I don’t know if it will go on my credit even though it has not in 3 years? Any advice would help. Thank you!!
    • By Ilcasdy
      Hi, I've gone into a bit of credit card debt that I cannot pay. 4 separate cards totalling around 25k. Amex has just emailed me saying that my account has been transferred to Zwicker & Associates for collections. I have basically no assets, just a cheap old car and household items. I moved out of the country a year ago and unfortunately have had trouble with work due to Covid and starting over here, so I ran up my credit cards. How should I respond to the coming collection letters and what are my options from here? Thanks so much.
    • By jwals48
      Almost 40 days ago I sent in 3 dispute letters to all 3 CRA's. I received nothing back from EQ, EX sent me a copy of my report with no changes or notes, and TU deleted 4 accounts. Is there any way to leverage TU to help with the other CRA's? Thank You for any help!

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    DESCOGENLLC

Important Information

Guidelines