Roy Horn (of Sigrfied and Roy) RIP

2 hours ago, hegemony said:

I never understood the appeal of his show or any "magic" act. but RIP all the same

Me neither, although Penn Jilette is pretty prominent in my line of work. 

During CES a few years back my small group did go see their show, and I really enjoyed it. But their whole schtick is being like an unmagic show.

Going back through security the TSA dude asked if I saw any shows and I said theirs, and then it was awkward. I did not buy the metal bill of rights to trip the scanner, alas :D

1 hour ago, smartlypretty said:

Me neither, although Penn Jilette is pretty prominent in my line of work. 

During CES a few years back my small group did go see their show, and I really enjoyed it. But their whole schtick is being like an unmagic show.

Going back through security the TSA dude asked if I saw any shows and I said theirs, and then it was awkward. I did not buy the metal bill of rights to trip the scanner, alas :D

I saw Penn and Teller's show as well. They are quite good in a different sort of way. I'm a fan of Ian Rowland who wrote a book on cold reading called "The Full Facts of Cold Reading." Interesting book. I understand it's popular amongst those in law enforcement that specialize in interrogation. But then, I'm just curious about the ways that a good salesman does his/her stuff. Also like Cialdini's works, both academic and crossover/popular.

I once considered lining my carryon with a smile face lead foil cutout but thought the people behind me in line might not appreciate the delay if any. Thought TSA might get a kick out of it.

Edited by cashnocredit
2 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

I saw Penn and Teller's show as well. They are quite good in a different sort of way. I'm a fan of Ian Rowland who wrote a book on cold reading called "The Full Facts of Cold Reading." Interesting book. I understand it's popular amongst those in law enforcement that specialize in interrogation. But then, I'm just curious about the ways that a good salesman does his/her stuff. Also like Cialdini's works, both academic and crossover/popular.

I once considered lining my carryon with a smile face lead foil cutout but thought the people behind me in line might not appreciate the delay if any. Thought TSA might get a kick out of it.

This is directly right in the middle of the kinda work I do ... and I have spent my life certain of a lot of things. 

Very long story short, I got my mind changed ... cold reading is a thing, obviously, but we've been missing a lot of not cold reading. I never saw it, never in all my years in this line of work and then one day bam. Changed my life. It was humbling and horribly uncomfortable but I also instantly accepted I'd been wrong about a lot. 

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Same here.

My list of untouchables includes magicians, clowns, jugglers and mimes. 

I also hate zoos.

Parades are also straight from hell.

My old boss in Manhattan used to make fun of my disdain for them since they were happening a lot, and he'd sing "I ... hate a parade." 

But really. WHO ENJOYS THEM.

ETA: Nobody, the answer is nobody, parades are joyless.

Edited by smartlypretty
19 hours ago, hegemony said:

I never understood the appeal of his show or any "magic" act. but RIP all the same

Some of the animated gifs after the attack were appealing...the Tony the Tiger one was the best :D

Penn and Teller are one of the few shows I would willingly go see time after time...but I was a big fan of theirs even back in the 80's.  The TSA bit they do is worth the price of admission...

46 minutes ago, centex said:

Some of the animated gifs after the attack were appealing...the Tony the Tiger one was the best :D

Penn and Teller are one of the few shows I would willingly go see time after time...but I was a big fan of theirs even back in the 80's.  The TSA bit they do is worth the price of admission...

I went to a Cirque show when we first moved here and 5 minutes into it I realized it was a rip-off of the Chinese acrobats I saw in Beijing years earlier (most of whom are from Inner Mongolia). IIRC the show in China cost about $2.30. There is no way a Cirque show is worth more than $20 when you factor into the amount of your time it wastes.

• 8 months later...