Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

JDB responds to validation with Application from OC

Posted (edited)

1. EX & EQ deleted a collection acct from my report in 2016 after one initial dispute 
2. In 2019, a JDB reports on EX & EQ for the same acct. I requested a DV and the JDB sent the initial application.

3. OC sent the wrong item in 2014 and after 6 months of disputing they stopping collection attempts. (technically this should be #1). 
4. I disputed the JDB (2nd ÇA) with the CRA’s and it came back verified. 

What letter can I send to the JDB after they responded with the initial application from 2014 and what is another dispute tactic to the CRA that only responds with previously verified. 

i searched but searching here is not the same anymore. 
thanks in a d’avance for input 

Edited by pissarita
Title clarify

There is no absolute standard as to what qualifies as "validation" other than to address whether it would satisfy a court of competent jurisdiction that the correct party was being dunned and that the amount sought was consistent with the delinquency.

Kitchen sink letters are trash but a SPECIFIC dispute may very well be something that the original application would suffice.  Without knowing WHAT was placed into material dispute and WHAT State laws may exist in your jurisdiction, it is difficult to say what the next step would be...what you do NOT want to do is send generic tripe.

The FDCPA requires that they give you the name of the entity suing, the amount, and if requested, the original creditor. (usually only a JDB does that) Giving you the app tells you who the OC was. It's a pretty low standard. 

1 hour ago, legaleagle2012 said:

The FDCPA requires that they give you the name of the entity suing, the amount, and if requested, the original creditor. (usually only a JDB does that) Giving you the app tells you who the OC was. It's a pretty low standard. 

And in some cases, this low bar is not hurdled.  

What usually happens is there is a mixup somewhere, and the wrong information is sent.  If that happens, and they continue to collect, that is a violation.

These situations are a lot more rare than they were in the old days.  I had over $100k in unsecured debt when the Great Recession started.  Tens of thousands of that were wiped out using the then-controversial TrueQ Arbitration method, which is now recommended by the same people who trashed TrueQ and his method back in the day.  But MOST of that debt was actually wiped out because of no validation.  I had between $60-70k of debt in two accounts with BOA.  I played a game of whack-a-mole for several years -- they would send an account to a CA, I would send a DV letter, and then no reply.  A few month later, a different CA would send info on the same account.  Finally they gave up.

There was another account with a different bank in which I sent a DV letter to a CA.  The CA asked the OC for validation, and the OC sent back a letter, which the CA forwarded, saying the OC didn't have to validate a debt.  The ID-10-T for the OC seriously didn't realize that they were precluding the CA from pursuing the debt.  I walked away from that one as well.

These situations are MUCH rarer than they used to be.  But occasionally this actually still happens.

If this actually happened, and they are contusing to collect the debt, then they are violating the FDCPA, and POSSIBLY the FCRA.

As others have mentioned, the bar is VERY low.  If they simply say: "we own the account, which we got from Big Bank, and the amount is $xxxx", they have cleared the hurdle and there is no violation.  

Actually, they were required to send you any documentation.   Finding an entry on a credit report is not an initial communication that triggers a consumer’s right to demand validation under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.  In addition, the Fair Credit Reporting Act does not require documentation be sent to a consumer in response to a dispute.  

3 hours ago, Bluesie58 said:

Actually, they were required to send you any documentation.   Finding an entry on a credit report is not an initial communication that triggers a consumer’s right to demand validation under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.  In addition, the Fair Credit Reporting Act does not require documentation be sent to a consumer in response to a dispute.  

Hence my additional comment of needing to know what STATE laws apply...some (such as here in the Great State of Texas) are far better than federal statutes.  Others are just as ineffectual as federal law...

But, since OP has not come back to the thread, it is all meaningless...it is so frustrating to try and offer guidance only to have an OP never come back to the thread.

On 5/8/2020 at 11:19 AM, centex said:

Hence my additional comment of needing to know what STATE laws apply...some (such as here in the Great State of Texas) are far better than federal statutes.  Others are just as ineffectual as federal law...

But, since OP has not come back to the thread, it is all meaningless...it is so frustrating to try and offer guidance only to have an OP never come back to the thread.

I’m here— what guidance do you have to offer please. I didn’t get a notice of response so my bad on the delay. 

1 hour ago, pissarita said:

I’m here— what guidance do you have to offer please. I didn’t get a notice of response so my bad on the delay.

See my reply from May 7th.  That additional information is needed to give any modicum of guidance that may actually apply to YOUR situation...

On 5/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, centex said:

There is no absolute standard as to what qualifies as "validation" other than to address whether it would satisfy a court of competent jurisdiction that the correct party was being dunned and that the amount sought was consistent with the delinquency.

Kitchen sink letters are trash but a SPECIFIC dispute may very well be something that the original application would suffice.  Without knowing WHAT was placed into material dispute and WHAT State laws may exist in your jurisdiction, it is difficult to say what the next step would be...what you do NOT want to do is send generic tripe.

State GA. What do you mean ‘what was placed in material dispute’ ?

i disputed the validity of the account, the amount, contract obligations between JDB & me. 
History: The actual purchase was disputed with the original seller since they delivered the wrong item and their delivery service refused to carry it back to their truck and take their item with them!!! 
It went to some collection company and was deleted... now 5 yrs later it’s showing up from this JDB at 4x the cost. 

It appears you did not pay for the item, nor did you send the wrong item back. That may pose a problem if this gets in front of a judge.  We need a lot more info than this. 

7 hours ago, legaleagle2012 said:

It appears you did not pay for the item, nor did you send the wrong item back. That may pose a problem if this gets in front of a judge.  We need a lot more info than this. 

Interesting there was a 10% balance left  not including the shipping fees... arrangements were made for pick but they never showed. So to show a judge how they failed to pick up their product after numerous written communication of them agreeing to it— I might be ok. But who knows. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Hi-Tech
      I am in really bad need of some advice on what to do with two accounts showing up on all 3 credit reports. I realize I made a mistake and somehow I need to fix it but I don’t think I deserve what this place is doing. The two accounts are duplicate accounts and are the same credit card account, but it is not showing that way according to all 3 credit report agencies.

In 2019, I was going to be away for 3 months for some important medical treatments and I knew that I would not be able to take care of my payments during this time, so I set up automatic payments from inside my checking account and paid them their payments that way.  I had always made my payments on time so I was surprised when they closed my account.  My bank said that the payments should have been delivered by the due date, but Merrick Bank said that they were late by two days all three months. So they charged me a late charge of $39, three months in a row and then closed my account by the time I could get a hold of them. 

Once the account closed, they turned it into a collection agency right away. But now on all three credit reports, it is listed from the credit card company as well as the collection agency and makes it look like I owe $2444 between the two.  The card was not maxed out and they inflated the balance big time.

What’s worse, is the collection agency somehow updates it as a late payment every month and I get an alert from my credit monitoring website saying that I have a new late payment.  The collection agency is also listed as 12 charge-offs.

I realize that what is done is done and there’s not much I can do about it. I am planning on paying this off in the next 6-12 months, but in the meantime, I do not think it’s fair that it is listed in duplicate and that the collection agency continues to update it as late every month. It is hurting my credit score considerably because it is renewed as a new late payment every month, as well as two separate accounts.

Are they allowed to do this or should it just be listed as one account instead of having it on there in duplication?  Can anyone please tell me how I can possibly go about fixing it so that only one account is listed on my report correctly? It seems like something like this should be illegal or be against FCRA rules. I am also surprised that they are able to list it as 12 charge-offs!  Unbelievable.

Merrick Bank listed me for a bunch of late payments in 2019, but stopped then.  CWS/CW NEXUS has continued to list me as late every month and just listed a new late payment for August 2020.

The info from the accounts is copied below. The first one is the credit card company, Merrick Bank. The second one is the collection agency, CWS/CW NEXUS.  Merrick Bank will not talk to me whatsoever on the phone and will transfer me to the CWS/CW NEXUS if I get through to a live person.  The collection agency called me once in the beginning, and the representative was as surprised as I was and I have never received any more calls from them since.

My credit is otherwise very good and I have around 20 accounts all reporting good payment history except for this company reporting every month as late with 12 charge-offs.  I apologize in advance for the long read, but I wanted to make sure I had the correct information in the post.  Thanks for any help!

Credit Card Company:

MERRICK BANK CORP $1,262
      Closed
      1 charge-off
      Account Info
      Account status Closed
      Date opened Jun 02, 2015
      Account type Credit Card - Revolving Terms
      Balance on Jul 31, 2019 $1,262
      Credit Limit $950
      Payment Info
      Status Charge-off
      Status date Jul 2019
      Past due amount $427
      Highest balance -
      Monthly payment -

Collection Agency:

CWS/CW NEXUS $1,182
      Closed
      12 charge-offs

Account Info
      Account status Closed
      Date opened Jun 02, 2015
      Account type Credit Card - Revolving Terms
      Balance on Aug 01, 2020  $1,182
      Credit Limit $950
      Payment Info
      Status Charge-off
      Status date Aug 2019
      Past due amount $1,182
      Balance on Aug 01, 2020 $1,182
      Credit Limit $950

• By MaryK2020
      Trying to help a friend and not sure what to do. They were just served with paperwork from the Courts in Osceola County, Fl. It was filed by Raush Sturm on behalf of Sears for some appliances purchased almost 5 years ago. The account was interest free and when it came time to make the final payment it was offered to Sears to split the final payment within 7 days of each other to clear the account. They refused and final payment was not made. In the documents they included only 1 statement which shows a balance now due of $9027.70 as of 1/9/2019.  Currently she has 10 days to answer the court complaint and I have no idea what we need to document or request. The amount is beyond ridiculous and she is currently a full time student with an unemployed spouse. Is there a way to request validation of the debt with all statement copies and proof it was purchased individually and not a bundle purchase (meaning they have no documents to prove they rightfully own?)

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. I have been reading on your boards about them being in the Hall of Fame for bad collectors. 

Thanks !
    • By nice8125612
      So when i was a teenager i went to open a bank account with my father at BOA (highly regretted it ever since) with a security deposit of $500. I had a bad payment status for 30-59 days and the account was closed by the credit grantor but only after i payed off the balance (they allowed me to pay off the balance by saying i had to make payment to use the card again and after i did they said i had to call a service representative) . I should have been more responsible on checking my balance since it was below $500 and thinking back now i was told that even though i payed off the due amount i would not be getting my deposit back, so me being a irresponsible teenager i just wanted to hide this fact from my parents. Moneys tight right now for my family so i was wondering if there was anyway to recover this $500. Is there any steps i should take to gather information regarding this ie the credit card terms and service before i try to dispute the fact? Would i be able to remove this remark from my credit score? I know this is a long shot but any information would help. Its been 4 years since then and the account was open for around 7 months. The year was opened on july of 2016 and closed feb 2017. Has anyone else had any experience with something similar? 
    • By JakkuScavenger
      Long story short, an illness took me off work for some time and some card payments were prioritized above others. I have since cleaned my credit up save for one lone big bad that will not die off in the form of DSNB/Macy's (CitiBank). Here's the deets:
      Date Opened: 11/16/2009
      Last Payment Made: 05/06/2015
      Date Closed: 04/26/2015
      I've inquired about the debt and was told since it's past SOL it's no longer being pursued for collection, just reported monthly as charged off. That charge off reporting is a damper, though. What steps should I take, if any, to remove or rectify it on my reports? I can pay it in full, but is there any hope for it being removed or updated to not reflect so harshly? I appreciate any advice!

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines