Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Need advice for a charge off

Posted (edited)

So yesterday I get an email saying there has been an increase to my score on TU. I look and see that my score has increased by 40 points. Fantastic but I don't know why. I pull my TU report and find that a charge off from Dec 2018 with a CA has for whatever reason has fallen off. I didn't dispute it and wasn't exactly sure what I was gonna do about it. 

I've seen this before with different accounts when I have disputed and seen it fall off only to show up again in a few months later and my dispute fail. This seems different. So my question is should I maybe go back to the OC and pay it off then dispute with the other 2 agencies? If it fails can it still show back up on the TU report if I pay it off? Thanks 

Edited by Feech

55 minutes ago, Feech said:

So yesterday I get an email saying there has been an increase to my score on TU. I look and see that my score has increased by 40 points. Fantastic but I don't know why. I pull my TU report and find that a charge off from Dec 2018 with a CA has for whatever reason has fallen off. I didn't dispute it and wasn't exactly sure what I was gonna do about it. 

I've seen this before with different accounts when I have disputed and seen it fall off only to show up again in a few months later and my dispute fail. This seems different. So my question is should I maybe go back to the OC and pay it off then dispute with the other 2 agencies? If it fails can it still show back up on the TU report if I pay it off? Thanks 

Good question.

Concur with hege that this is more apt to be an indicia that it has gone to a different entity. 

Is/was the OC reporting or just the third party?  And what were the letters indicating with respect to ownership of the paper?  The contingency paperwork generally contains language making abundantly clear they do not own the paper but rather are working it on behalf of a 'client.'

Posted (edited)

It was the CA reporting. Never gave it a thought that it had been sold. And I have never received anything in writing from any CA about the debt. I thought there was a window I could try to be sneaky and pay it off and maybe at least one CRA wouldn't be able to report it 

Edited by Feech

OK you guys were right.  Got a letter today from a different CA asking for payment on the debt.  I don't have an issue paying it but will they eventually put this back as a collection on my reports? 

13 minutes ago, Feech said:

OK you guys were right.  Got a letter today from a different CA asking for payment on the debt.  I don't have an issue paying it but will they eventually put this back as a collection on my reports? 

If you make a timely and specific dispute to the new notice you have received, then it should effectively preclude, or at least forestall, a return to the report.  Generic tripe will not carry the day.  Ignoring it will not carry the day.  An actual DISPUTE that is submitted in a timely fashion DOES give you hope of it staying off of the report. 

1 hour ago, Feech said:

It depends.

Many CAs never put the collections on credit reports.  Others do.  

If you intend to pay this off, right now is when you MAY have some leverage.  You can always try to negotiate with them -- that you will pay this off, but they will not put this on your credit report.  Similar to a PFD (pay for delete), but more of a preemptive strike.  

Be warned.  A lot of these places have a policy that they never remove things from the credit report.  Never.  I once had a disputed Verizon debt that a JDB picked up and put on the credit reports.  I offered a PFD.  They ignored me.  I wound up not paying anything.

Out of SOL, there is little incentive to pay a CA unless you get a PFD or an agreement, in this case, they will NEVER report to your four consumer credit reports.

It's still within the SOL.  The letter states that I have 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt.  I have some specific grounds to dispute it so I'll go that route 

1 hour ago, Feech said:

It's still within the SOL.  The letter states that I have 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt.  I have some specific grounds to dispute it so I'll go that route 

In that case, if they put it on the CR, it should be marked as disputed.  Unfortunately that does not remove it from the CR.  

2 hours ago, BrokeBob said:

In that case, if they put it on the CR, it should be marked as disputed.  Unfortunately that does not remove it from the CR.  

If you had paid attention, you would see that the OP is dealing with a NEW entity.  A timely and specific dispute SHOULD serve to keep it OFF of the report. 

I would swear it seems like we are getting the rejects from FlyinFraud's board.

20 hours ago, centex said:

If you had paid attention, you would see that the OP is dealing with a NEW entity.  A timely and specific dispute SHOULD serve to keep it OFF of the report. 

I would swear it seems like we are getting the rejects from FlyinFraud's board.

Gawd, what a MORON!

I was paying attention.  If you had bothered to read my post, you would see I said "if the put it on the CR", meaning the new entity.  

Do you try to bully everyone here?

I am not bullied that easily.  

I was hundreds of thousands in debt.  I defaulted on over $100,000 in unsecured debt.  I paid less money to settle and pay off the defaulted debts than I received from claims against collectors.  I beat all the big names, including the companies that never lose.  Except they lost to me.  All of them.  

Now, I am above water in my home, I pay off my credit card bills every month, I have money in the bank, and my credit score went from the mid 400s to the high 700s.  

I've beaten the nastiest debt attorneys in the Midwest.  If they can't bully me, neither can you.

Now shut up and maybe you will learn something.  

LOL at the bullying claims.  And LOL at a measly $100K...guess what- I fought off efforts on a quarter million in ID theft losses.  THOSE are actual losses, not something that I defaulted on.  My guidance here stems from much of what I learned THROUGH the processes of dealing with some of the entities out there...never got sued but certainly not afraid of courtrooms given my profession. 

I've also walked acquaintances through some of the landmines related to fiscal struggles and almost always have them closed out with a one-and-done letter.  Also got one out of litigation and into OASIS, but that is another topic. 

5 hours ago, centex said:

LOL at the bullying claims.  And LOL at a measly $100K...guess what- I fought off efforts on a quarter million in ID theft losses.  THOSE are actual losses, not something that I defaulted on.  My guidance here stems from much of what I learned THROUGH the processes of dealing with some of the entities out there...never got sued but certainly not afraid of courtrooms given my profession. 

I've also walked acquaintances through some of the landmines related to fiscal struggles and almost always have them closed out with a one-and-done letter.  Also got one out of litigation and into OASIS, but that is another topic. 

Awww, someone at Debtorboards must have hurt centex' fee-fees.  I am so sorry about that.  To be fair, some of the people who used to post there could be complete jerks.  

So now you wait around until you find anyone who ever posted at Debtorboards, to try to take an extremely churlish revenge.  You couldn't even be bothered to figure out what my post meant before you decided to flame.  As I said, churlish.  

Well, there good and bad posts in every board.  I guess you know more about dealing with identity theft (only happened to me once, and that situation was thankfully very easy to clear up) and I have quite a bit more experience dealing with CAs and debt collection attorneys.  

I have absolutely nothing to gain by being here.  People on other boards, especially the legendary TrueQ, helped me and others more than anyone can possibly imagine.  I have managed to help a few people on the way, to pay things forwards.  That is why I post on credit related boards.  

I don't know who owns this board.  If you are the owner of the board, just go ahead and ban me.  If not, then how about you just leave me the f*** alone, and I will leave you the f*** alone.

Buh-bye.

18 minutes ago, BrokeBob said:

Awww, someone at Debtorboards must have hurt centex' fee-fees.  I am so sorry about that.  To be fair, some of the people who used to post there could be complete jerks.  

So now you wait around until you find anyone who ever posted at Debtorboards, to try to take an extremely churlish revenge.  You couldn't even be bothered to figure out what my post meant before you decided to flame.  As I said, churlish.  

Well, there good and bad posts in every board.  I guess you know more about dealing with identity theft (only happened to me once, and that situation was thankfully very easy to clear up) and I have quite a bit more experience dealing with CAs and debt collection attorneys.  

I have absolutely nothing to gain by being here.  People on other boards, especially the legendary TrueQ, helped me and others more than anyone can possibly imagine.  I have managed to help a few people on the way, to pay things forwards.  That is why I post on credit related boards.  

I don't know who owns this board.  If you are the owner of the board, just go ahead and ban me.  If not, then how about you just leave me the f*** alone, and I will leave you the f*** alone.

Buh-bye.

you can place other users on "ignore" It is a function I use liberally.

Reasonable people can disagree and in fact disagreement can be a powerful learning tool/experience.

But arguing you "have absolutely nothing to gain by being here" will fall on deaf ears. If you want to help and contribute, please stick around. The only pissing contest we have is during the officially sanctioned Halloween party.

21 minutes ago, hegemony said:

you can place other users on "ignore" It is a function I use liberally.

Reasonable people can disagree and in fact disagreement can be a powerful learning tool/experience.

But arguing you "have absolutely nothing to gain by being here" will fall on deaf ears. If you want to help and contribute, please stick around. The only pissing contest we have is during the officially sanctioned Halloween party.

Wise advice.   Done.

@BrokeBob you are really stretching it here on CB. Apparently we need to send you back to quarantine because you're still infected with whatever makes you write these stupid posts.

@centex - I know adversarial confrontation is your style but this is just an internet forum not a courtroom.