Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Medical Collections Based Upon Incorrect Address

Posted (edited)

Hello all. I have three collections on each of the three CRAs originating from a hospitalization for a stroke in January 2017. I am based in Maryland.

During the intake process, the hospital recorded the wrong mailing/billing address. It was the right street but the wrong house number. I have since disputed that wrong address with EQ, EX, and TU and it has been removed from all three.

I never received the bills and my insurance denied the claims for the charges because of the wrong address. Unfortunately I don't have ready access to the EoBs for the charges in question.

Two of the collections ($191 and $835) are through Transworld Systems Inc. and the other is through Phoenix Financial Services ($1368). Neither of these CAs are the OC.

What is the most effective strategy for attacking medical collections that are based upon a wrong address? Should I pursue the WhyChat HIPAA strategy or is there a different strategy for this type of situation?

I would be willing to PFD if necessary, but I'd want to be certain of the deletion.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by andysipowicz

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

Posted (edited)

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Send the CRAs the initial dispute letter;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

You say you don't have access to your EOMBs?? Why is that?? Contact the insurance Co. and get copies they are required to keep them for 5 years.The OC OBVIOUSLY got paid SOMETHING by your insurance which was likely resubmitted as the amount's on this collection are minuscule in relation to the probable actual charges for a stroke.

Paying anyone anything at this point is useless. Without the correct information and a VALID response from the reporting CA as a result of your dispute to the CRAs you have no way of knowing if the reporting CA is a direct assignee of the OC  and without your EOMBs you can't know if you do actually owe anyone anything.

Edited by Why Chat

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your response Why Chat.

I reached out to my insurance carrier from that time (different than the one I have now) and they now told me that the three medical bills in question were never submitted to them. So that explains why there is no EOMB. The amounts are small, as you mentioned, but they were just three of many other medical bills from a variety of providers associated with that hospitalization.

Is there any merit in getting a letter from the insurance company stating that they never received any claim related to the medical bills in question? They said they would be willing to produce a document on their letterhead that says that.

I will follow the process you outlined and report back.

Edited by andysipowicz

Posted (edited)

Have them send you the EOMB for the hospital/ambulance/ER or any other provider that WAS paid at the time.( Check to make sure that the subject accounts weren't already folded into the hospital payments)Also a letter that it is past the time for resubmittal. IF you do not get a deletion AND you get a response from the reporting CA as a result of your initial dispute letters to the CRA then you can send the HIPAA letter insert "b" to the providers .

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

It was not properly transmitted in a timely manner to my insurance company.( Documentation from insurance attached)

It is not a valid bill and has been properly disputed, therefore I request complete deletion from all your agent (name of CA)'s records and archives.

Edited by Why Chat

The initial dispute letter was successful. All three collections were deleted on the EQ, EX, and TU reports. In the case of EX, I received a letter verifying one of the collections from Transworld. But it ended up being deleted anyway.

Unfortunately, the $1368 collection from Phoenix Financial Services has reappeared (with the same dollar amount) with a different collection agency, Commonwealth Financial. What can I do to remove this previously deleted item? Is the relisting of the tradeline a violation?

My understanding is that this doesn't qualify as a "reinsertion" because it is a different CA

From what I've read elsewhere on CB, I need to start from scratch with a DV letter. Or would I start with the opening WhyChat letter like the ones I sent initially?

It IS a reinsertion as the original CA transferred the data to an affiliate CA which is the SAME as reinserting.;

In accordance with the requirements of the FCRA as shown below,I am hereby requesting your complete compliance with any and all of the provisions.

Requirements relating to reinsertion of previously deleted material.
Note that Phoenix Financial has transferred the invalid account to it's affiliate Commonwealth Financial
Certification of accuracy of information. If any information is deleted from a consumer's file pursuant to subparagraph (A), the information may not be reinserted in the file by the consumer reporting agency unless the person who furnishes the information certifies that the information is complete and accurate.

Please furnish me with copies of any and all such certification.

If any information that has been deleted from a consumer's file pursuant to subparagraph (A) is reinserted in the file, the consumer reporting agency shall notify the consumer of the reinsertion in writing not later than 5 business days after the reinsertion or, if authorized by the consumer for that purpose, by any other means available to the agency.

I received no such notification,this is a serious violation of the FCRA, and I reserve the right to pursue further action.

Additional information. As part of, or in addition to, the notice under clause (ii), a consumer reporting agency shall provide to a consumer in writing not later than 5 business days after the date of the reinsertion

(I) a statement that the disputed information has been reinserted;

(II) the business name and address of any furnisher of information contacted and the telephone number of such furnisher, if reasonably available, or of any furnisher of information that contacted the consumer reporting agency, in connection with the reinsertion of such information; and

(III) a notice that the consumer has the right to add a statement to the consumer's file disputing the accuracy or completeness of the disputed information.

Please furnish me with the required statements and data

(C) Procedures to prevent reappearance. A consumer reporting agency shall maintain reasonable procedures designed to prevent the reappearance in a consumer's file, and in consumer reports on the consumer, of information that is deleted pursuant to this paragraph and a notice that, if requested by the consumer, a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information shall be provided to the consumer by the agency, including the business name and address of any furnisher of information contacted in connection with such information and the telephone number of such furnisher, if reasonably available;

Please furnish me with a full description of the procedures used to determine the accuracy of the information.

(7) Description of re investigation procedure. A consumer reporting agency shall provide to a consumer a description referred to in paragraph (6)(B)(iii) by not later than 15 days after receiving a request from the consumer for that description.

In accordance with the above requirements of the FCRA, please furnish me with all requested material within 15 days

(sign as above in first example)