COVID-19 Personal Economics

47 minutes ago, cashnocredit said:

Hey, we're in SD and listen to KPBS too. Good signal even up here in North County. We regularly donate to them until they start flooding out mail with begging requests. Then we stop. We hate places that think you are an endless money pit once you send them a few bucks.

Curious as to where your icon image was taken since snow is close to a foreign concept here.

My profile pic was taken on 2/1/2020 in Steamboat Springs, CO. I was visiting my brother who lives there.

I donated a '97 Nissan Pathfinder to KPBS. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received the final docs for e-signature by email today. Promissory note, disbursement request and authorization. Repayment begins in November.   The accompanying email states: Please

Watched this in its entirety and I am speechless. My thoughts  and I will leave it here - We botched with inaction and more should have been done while watching and waiting to hit us... 

Yeah, this is and has been an ongoing problem. I'm old enough to remember when employee benefits included separate buckets for sick time and vacation time. Steadily it has moved towards PTO which you

47 minutes ago, creditmaze said:

My profile pic was taken on 2/1/2020 in Steamboat Springs, CO. I was visiting my brother who lives there.

Wild!

I have a brother that also lived with his wife and kids in Steamboat Springs for many years.

I've never been there though.

My siblings are scattered across the USA.

1 hour ago, creditmaze said:

Hey, cool and another incredible synchrony!  My wife arranged to donate  my old Ford van to KPBS almost 10 years ago. How weird is that!

Edited by cashnocredit
47 minutes ago, cashnocredit said:

Wild!

I have a brother that also lived with his wife and kids in Steamboat Springs for many years.

I've never been there though.

My siblings are scattered across the USA.

It's a beautiful place. Lots of gentrification going on there with some voted in affordable housing. Before Covid-19 most of the restaurant, hospitality and ski employees that work in the Boat live in Routt County like Haden, Oakcreek. They couldn't afford to rent or buy in Steamboat.

Steamboat is different in that it has the Yamba River and has a country western flair with rodeos. It is definitely giving Aspen a run for its money.

1 hour ago, creditmaze said:

It's a beautiful place. Lots of gentrification going on there with some voted in affordable housing. Before Covid-19 most of the restaurant, hospitality and ski employees that work in the Boat live in Routt County like Haden, Oakcreek. They couldn't afford to rent or buy in Steamboat.

Steamboat is different in that it has the Yamba River and has a country western flair with rodeos. It is definitely giving Aspen a run for its money.

I'm from MA originally but went to college in Pasadena (being a sufficient distance from parents), then stayed. Moved about 10 years later to San Diego. Wife's from HI and we met when we were college students. Have been close friends since and she moved in with me 15 years ago. Finally got hitched last year.

BTW, I do miss snow! Loved playing in it when I was a kid. Hated shoveling it when I got older but sledding was great fun. I now have to make do with enjoying the rain which occurs way too infrequently here.

Edited by cashnocredit
50 minutes ago, cashnocredit said:

I'm from MA originally but went to college in Pasadena (being a sufficient distance from parents), then stayed. Moved about 10 years later to San Diego. Wife's from HI and we met when we were college students. Have been close friends since and she moved in with me 15 years ago. Finally got hitched last year.

Meant to spell Yampa River.

Congratulations! 

I've lived in San Diego most of my life so snow and mountains are a real treat for me.

• 9 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 12:40 PM, cv91915 said:

I got a year of Apple TV+ with my new (work-issued) iPhone.

It's worthless.  It's just a directory of content sold by and distributed through other apps.  

People pay $4.99 a month for this?

I'm killing my free 12-month Apple TV subscription one month early so I don't forget.  

It's still completely worthless.

Apartment management sent out an email to the proletariat, stating if you pay rent early by close of business tomorrow, you will be entered to win $150 off April rent. 

I sent an email back seeing if there was anything they could do for the bourgeoisie tenants. No response yet. 

On 4/23/2020 at 12:30 PM, smartlypretty said:

What's the big deal? Again, we won't have this going on for very long at all, 

Hey, I thought the same thing back then based largely on China's effective approach in Wuhan getting the Covid-19 incidence down to effectively 0. So we'll lock down for a month or two.  Then back to normal by Summer. My wishful thinking.

And here we are now with .5M dead from Covid-19 and a bunch of long haulers that aren't counted.

OTOH, China welded people into their apartments if they didn't follow Covid-19 rules. Kind'a hard to do that in most of the World let alone the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 3:30 PM, smartlypretty said:

It's basically a trickle up. I don't understand the aversion, honestly. What's the big deal? Again, we won't have this going on for very long at all, and people do not want to burn their careers or long-term jobs for short-term gain. UI runs out fast. So what if they get an extra $600? We're not talking TARP scale here. 

My thoughts exactly. Our economy has managed to not completely tank this past year, in large part because of this kind of spending. Maybe some people are buying sneakers, but the vast majority understand this is not permanent, and they are at least managing to keep their rents paid while we wait for jobs to come back. This is not a "political" statement. It really is an observation on how the economy works. If this is really too political for CB, then maybe this whole thread is too political.

19 hours ago, Achillia said:

My thoughts exactly. Our economy has managed to not completely tank this past year, in large part because of this kind of spending. Maybe some people are buying sneakers, but the vast majority understand this is not permanent, and they are at least managing to keep their rents paid while we wait for jobs to come back. This is not a "political" statement. It really is an observation on how the economy works. If this is really too political for CB, then maybe this whole thread is too political.

The TARP comparison to which you replied was, at best, made from a position of ignorance.

https://www.americanbanker.com/opinion/tarp-was-not-a-bailout-and-the-governments-profit-was-huge 

2 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Hey @cv91915, do you want this thread closed? Linking articles to explain your superior point of view is political. 🙃

The TARP program turned a profit. 

I've never seen a credible account that showed otherwise.

https://money.cnn.com/2014/12/19/news/companies/government-bailouts-end/index.html 

Edited by cv91915
On 3/1/2021 at 1:37 AM, cv91915 said:

The TARP comparison to which you replied was, at best, made from a position of ignorance.

https://www.americanbanker.com/opinion/tarp-was-not-a-bailout-and-the-governments-profit-was-huge 

the government had made a total profit of $30.7 billion on the program

That's a fair bit of cabbage for Uncle Sam. I wonder how much was made on the purchase and subsequent sale of GM stock? never mind don't answer that.

ETA: Found one possible in the CNN article linked by CV -

taxpayers lost about $9.2 billion

the government also would have been on the hook for billions in promised pension payments to autoworkers

PBGC? I thought PBGC already took over the pensions of "old" GM and "old" Chrysler??

Edited by IndyPoolPlayer
10 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

That's a fair bit of cabbage for Uncle Sam. I wonder how much was made on the purchase and subsequent sale of GM stock? never mind don't answer that.

ETA: Found one possible in the CNN article linked by CV -

PBGC? I thought PBGC already took over the pensions of "old" GM and "old" Chrysler??

The automaker portion of TARP apparently lost some money, but the profit from the financial stocks that the government purchased and later resold more than outweighed that.

There are definitely aspects of TARP that make my skin crawl, but injecting money into a bank by buying preferred stock that is later sold as a profit is NOT the same as just handing the automakers and the banks money and then hoping to recoup some of it down the road in indirect ways.

In my personal life I would not look at buying $5,000 in Amazon stock that I later resold for $6,000 the same way as I would giving a $5,000 check with no strings attached to a friend who's struggling financially.  Comparing TARP to stimulus payments makes about as much sense.