COVID-19 Personal Economics

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received the final docs for e-signature by email today. Promissory note, disbursement request and authorization. Repayment begins in November.   The accompanying email states: Please

Watched this in its entirety and I am speechless. My thoughts  and I will leave it here - We botched with inaction and more should have been done while watching and waiting to hit us... 

Yeah, this is and has been an ongoing problem. I'm old enough to remember when employee benefits included separate buckets for sick time and vacation time. Steadily it has moved towards PTO which you

1 hour ago, smartlypretty said:

All in all, I think everyone wants this over yesterday. We all don't want the coming economic contraction, or the loss of jobs, or the increase in jobless claims, or the masks, or the gloves, or the purell, or the weird rules at Trader Joe's. We want our jobs and our credit card points and the beach and to sit down and have someone bring you food

I have read the report from March and many more. All the discussion about what should have been done, missed opportunities and r naught means nothing. 

The quote above is exactly the point. It doesn’t matter how many models, predictions, scare tactics and r naught values anyone wants to toss out there. Spoiled, overly entitled, elitist thinking Americans are simply not going to comply with any stay home, wear masks, social distance, use common sense orders but for so long. They’re going to do what they want to do regardless. There’s plenty of evidence of that from day one until today. Bribing them into doing it with free money is not the answer either short or long term. If it was, Walmart wouldn’t have been packed with people buying giant flat screens, xboxes and steak on stimulus handout day instead of paying their bills. 

18 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Instead of handing out money which could be spent irresponsibly, Let's just build large housing complexes with individual units and make them all free. Government food will be delivered to each housing unit for free. On site health care will be found at each housing complex also for free. On site security will be found at each housing complex, making sure every resident is safely in their unit every night. When a highly contagious disease such as COVID-19 breaks out, the on site security can make sure everyone is safely in their unit and kept there until the all clear is given.

You've turn a light on in the dark.  They were beta testing this at the border ...

• Admin
15 hours ago, kaylee34 said:

I have read the report from March and many more. All the discussion about what should have been done, missed opportunities and r naught means nothing. 

The quote above is exactly the point. It doesn’t matter how many models, predictions, scare tactics and r naught values anyone wants to toss out there. Spoiled, overly entitled, elitist thinking Americans are simply not going to comply with any stay home, wear masks, social distance, use common sense orders but for so long. They’re going to do what they want to do regardless. There’s plenty of evidence of that from day one until today. Bribing them into doing it with free money is not the answer either short or long term. If it was, Walmart wouldn’t have been packed with people buying giant flat screens, xboxes and steak on stimulus handout day instead of paying their bills. 

This is the double-edged sword of public health:

If public health interventions are successful (i.e., H1N1) the public that we worked to save screams that it was overwrought hysteria.

If public health interventions aren't enough, the public that we are working so hard will scream that it's our fault.

And in the middle of it, they won't listen to us, because of point one - which makes it doomed for failure.  The public will need to see the deaths happening in their own backyards to take it seriously, and even then some won't take off their tin foil hats.

2 hours ago, Pam said:

1) If public health interventions are successful (i.e., H1N1) the public that we worked to save screams that it was overwrought hysteria.

2) If public health interventions aren't enough, the public that we are working so hard will scream that it's our fault.

And in the middle of it, they won't listen to us, because of point one - which makes it doomed for failure.  The public will need to see the deaths happening in their own backyards to take it seriously, and even then some won't take off their tin foil hats.

On point 1), I would agree. Public is quick to judge and less forgiving if the perception is that you made a mountain out of a mole hill, even if you were  on the right side of it.

Point 2), I do not agree as much. I do think the public is much more forgiving on this provided it was caught early enough and adjusted to deal with the increase.

We are a free people and enjoy our liberties. Taking them away and restricting movement is always going to draw the ire of citizens, even as if you say, it hits close to home. It is a tightrope that never seems to be win-win. 

2 hours ago, Pam said:

If public health interventions are successful (i.e., H1N1) the public that we worked to save screams that it was overwrought hysteria.

If public health interventions aren't enough, the public that we are working so hard will scream that it's our fault.

In previous threads I've mentioned the movie Contagion -- which has been very popular for obvious reasons -- and I keep recommending it to people who ask me specific sets of questions because there are so many scenes that illustrate things like this.

In one of the director of the CDC's first press conferences in the movie, a reporter asks something like "what do you say to Americans who feel this is yet another overreaction like swine flu/H1N1?" And here nine years later, we're living that -- people didn't experience this during effective containment procedures and thus those procedures looked like an overreaction.

Anyone remember when Chris Christie made that Ebola nurse sit in a tent at Newark or Teterboro and it was like this big argument over whether she should be quarantined? (I personally favored strong quarantine measures for how transmissible Ebola is.) And looking back we were able to almost laugh, because it never happened. Ebola thankfully never spread. 

Very sadly, we've already seen a few deaths in people who had loudly proclaimed this to all be hysteria. And I don't blame the general public for not knowing any better, because it's not their job to know this stuff - just like my mechanic won't hassle me for not knowing my flux capacitator is on the fritz or something. 

But as you say, the double-edged sword is the "community" nature of "community spread." When an outbreak isn't contained and spreads in the community, the government has to herd cats with a populace of whom most have never really seen the devastation of infectious disease. A few may remember polio, or have parents who were ill long-term because of it - but nothing quite like this. 

Where I live people did get an education early on because it was so prevalent, and we're not seeing these anti lockdown rallies in New York of which I am aware. But we're in a terrible juncture of the pandemic where the measures are working as well as they can, but because of that effectiveness, some people think that means it was a false alarm.

There was a meme going around facebook likening the measures to a parachute and saying "the parachute slowed my descent so it's safe to take it off." We weren't well equipped to usher in the measures or communicate their end goal (dragging the r naught under 1), and we're less equipped to maintain, and it is frightening, and public health officials have the patience of saints. 

53 minutes ago, smartlypretty said:

In previous threads I've mentioned the movie Contagion -- which has been very popular for obvious reasons -- and I keep recommending it to people who ask me specific sets of questions because there are so many scenes that illustrate things like this.

In one of the director of the CDC's first press conferences in the movie, a reporter asks something like "what do you say to Americans who feel this is yet another overreaction like swine flu/H1N1?" And here nine years later, we're living that -- people didn't experience this during effective containment procedures and thus those procedures looked like an overreaction.

Anyone remember when Chris Christie made that Ebola nurse sit in a tent at Newark or Teterboro and it was like this big argument over whether she should be quarantined? (I personally favored strong quarantine measures for how transmissible Ebola is.) And looking back we were able to almost laugh, because it never happened. Ebola thankfully never spread. 

Very sadly, we've already seen a few deaths in people who had loudly proclaimed this to all be hysteria. And I don't blame the general public for not knowing any better, because it's not their job to know this stuff - just like my mechanic won't hassle me for not knowing my flux capacitator is on the fritz or something. 

But as you say, the double-edged sword is the "community" nature of "community spread." When an outbreak isn't contained and spreads in the community, the government has to herd cats with a populace of whom most have never really seen the devastation of infectious disease. A few may remember polio, or have parents who were ill long-term because of it - but nothing quite like this. 

Where I live people did get an education early on because it was so prevalent, and we're not seeing these anti lockdown rallies in New York of which I am aware. But we're in a terrible juncture of the pandemic where the measures are working as well as they can, but because of that effectiveness, some people think that means it was a false alarm.

There was a meme going around facebook likening the measures to a parachute and saying "the parachute slowed my descent so it's safe to take it off." We weren't well equipped to usher in the measures or communicate their end goal (dragging the r naught under 1), and we're less equipped to maintain, and it is frightening, and public health officials have the patience of saints. 

Did you see Frontline's Corona Pandemic? I watched it several days ago.

3 hours ago, creditmaze said:

Did you see Frontline's Corona Pandemic? I watched it several days ago.

3 hours ago, smartlypretty said:

I didn't, I just replaced cable with Sling/hulu/Netflix so I wonder if there's somewhere I can catch it. 

Ok, it's online it looks like if this is it! https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/coronavirus-pandemic/

Antennas still work. WNET channel 13

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

I got a year of Apple TV+ with my new (work-issued) iPhone.

It's worthless.  It's just a directory of content sold by and distributed through other apps.  

People pay $4.99 a month for this?

I got a year of it free too and no idea what it's for. There's nothing on it that's not somewhere more useful. I haven't used it once.

It tried to charge me $4 an episode for Supernatural, which is free on the CW app on Roku. It's like a negative value add. 

From my vantage point,  I'm expecting to see official real estate sales figures (volume, not price) for April to reflect a percentage drop in the mid 40s compared to April 2019.

Residential and commercial.  

The year was off to a strong start.

Edited by cv91915
4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

From my vantage point,  I'm expecting to see official real estate sales figures (volume, not price) for April to reflect a percentage drop in the mid 40s compared to April 2019.

Residential and commercial.  

The year was off to a strong start.

Its Not CBRE but its a Commercial Real Estate Firm Talking Head

Residential Pendings Down 32% but Signs are Pointing to Quick Recovery

23 hours ago, smartlypretty said:

I didn't, I just replaced cable with Sling/hulu/Netflix so I wonder if there's somewhere I can catch it. 

Ok, it's online it looks like if this is it! https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/coronavirus-pandemic/

I love the quality of Frontline documentaries and their funded contributors include the late Koch brother which I found interesting.

2 hours ago, creditmaze said:

I love the quality of Frontline documentaries and their funded contributors include the late Koch brother which I found interesting.

Marginally related but this reminded me there was a very funny Onion (I think) article about him trying to cross the river styx. Scratch, it was Hard Times.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, smartlypretty said:

Watched this in its entirety and I am speechless. My thoughts  and I will leave it here - We botched with inaction and more should have been done while watching and waiting to hit us... 

1 hour ago, Krish said:

True, and horrifying and I didn't get to watch yet because my daughter has been making me watch kitten rescue videos all night every night. 

The other day, I had to check against the WHO's timeline, and watching the six weeks of "containment is a possibility" in black and white was just painful. Then March 11th, pandemic. 

IDK if anyone has seen Serenity but it was like watching Sarah Paulson's recorded message from Miranda. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:31 PM, creditmaze said:

I've used those. KPBS came in better than the network stations. They transmit out of SDSU.

Hey, we're in SD and listen to KPBS too. Good signal even up here in North County. We regularly donate to them until they start flooding out mail with begging requests. Then we stop. We hate places that think you are an endless money pit once you send them a few bucks.

Curious as to where your icon image was taken since snow is close to a foreign concept here.