Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Transworld Collection

I have removed collections previously but never a medical one so i am looking for whatever help i can get. 

In short my son's mom took him to urgent care at a local hospital. She used insurance card which is under my name but put her address down. I am not certain when she went but a few months ago collection pops up for 282$. I obviously never got a bit or a notice, she claims she didn't either. I would have paid the 282$ but thats neither here nor there. I just need insight on what to do. I have a collection that i didn't really know about until it became a collection and an address thats not mine (its her house). My gut is to try a PFD but i dont want to pay it and it continue to remain, then my leverage is gone. I have opted out, have up to date reports from all three CRAs. Just am not sure what to do next. I gantry to remove address but experian has given me difficulty in the past because its "attached" to account. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

6 hours ago, creditmaze said:

Why Chat here on creditboards can help you with medical collection issues. 

thanks I am hopeful Why Chat can chime in. I want to make sure I get this right the first time

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html (don't try to delete old addresses)

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Send each CRA where the account is reporting this;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Meanwhile get your EOMB from your insurance. Look to see what was charged, what was allowed and what was paid and how much was left as your liability.

If the date of medical service was within the past 2 years AND if the amount the CA is requesting MATCHES the EOMB for your liability. Pay the OC with the HIPAA letter insert "a" which I have edited for your purpose;( follow the directions for the payment

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

(Your Name)
(address)
(City,State, zip)
s.s.# (social security #)
HIPAA Compliance Office
( health care provider creditor)
(address)
(date)
Dear Sir/Madam;
This letter is in reference to (account #) for services provided to (name of patient) on (date of service).
In regard to the bill on this account in the amount of ($___):
Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of this account.

This payment in full is for services as per the attached Explanation of medical benefits from my insurance 
Please note, my remittance is payable ONLY to (hc provider) and may not be signed over or transferred to any third party collection agency, as this would constitute a violation of the HIPAA privacy rules, 
Copies of this correspondence and a copy of the remittance check may be used for any further actions with State or Federal agencies
The Privacy Rules prohibits a covered entity from using or disclosing an individual's protected health information ("PHI") unless specifically authorized by the individual or otherwise allowed under the Privacy Rules.
Your furnishing of my account information to (collection agency name), is not in compliance with HIPAA,or (name of your State}'s Privacy Act, and any subsequent reporting of this account on my credit reports to (credit reporting bureaus) is a clear violation of Public Law 104-191 ("HIPAA") since there can be no permissible business purpose in divulging protected health information to anyone on an account once there is no longer any payment due.

In addition the new Omnibus Final Rule states:when patients pay out of pocket in full, they can instruct their provider to refrain from sharing information.This letter serves as that instruction

Therefore I am requesting you promptly rescind all such account information furnished to (collection agency) and require them to purge their records of all reference to this account, and that you insure that any and all reporting of this account is immediately deleted from my credit reports.

This simple procedure to request the deletion of ALL reference to this account from the records of ( collection agency name) and to require them to have this account information deleted in its entirety from my credit reports will resolve this problem completely.
Sincerely,
signature
(Your Name)

If it has been MORE than 2 years OR the EOMB does not match the CA amount, wait for a response from the CRAs before doing anything else. Come back to this post for instructions for further steps.

ok after doing some work i have a few final questions... 

i send this to all 3 CRAs (because they are all reporting) 

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Do I wait for that response from CRA's and then attempt to pay OC with HiPAA letter or do i do both at same time?

finally (well finally for this round of questions) I did get EOMB and there is a wrinkle. OC is credited on EOMB with performing 2 services that day. Only one is been placed in collections. When I pay with HiPAA letter should i just go ahead and pay for both? two separate checks? or just focus on whats reporting? the "collection" is around 250$ (that amount matches what the EOMB states) the other service has a balance of about 30$. i just dont want to remove one only to have anotther prop up. 

thanks for any insight given 

Posted (edited)

Both at the same time

If it is the same provider pay both with one MONEY ORDER. Make sure you itemize the amounts in your letter like this ;

In regard to the bill on this account in the amount of ($250___):

In regard to the bill on this account in the amount of ($30___):
Enclosed please find my remittance of ($_280__) for payment in full of this account.

Edited by Why Chat

im headed to post office now so if i don't hear from anyone hopefully i make the right choice... one each of my reports the account number is redacted in different places. I can piece together the entire thing (I think). when i send the Pre HIPPAA dispute letter do i include the entire account number or list it just as it is on credit report? Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks 

Always list exactly as shown on the credit report you are disputing AND don't forget to include a copy of that report with the account circled in red.

Thanks for the piece about circle in red. I was just going to highlight... I figure if I was staying I had know knowledge it only made sense to copy as it’s listed. Do I need to include the WHOLE report or just the page with it listed? Thanks for all the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok I promise im not slow... just looking for clarity. After going back to reread things i realize i need to be sending correspondence to both the Credit bureaus and the OC (with payment) at the same time. the question i can't seem to answer is how do i find out who the HiPAA compliance officer is? do i just call? and they have a corporate office? how do i determine where to send it? sorry for all the questions I feel this is where i could screw up and don't want to. Thanks in advance.

so i think i found all the addresses i need to. i have just need a shade more clarity. I am sending dispute to all 3 CRAs via priority mail with proof of delivery only as per instruction... DO NOT send it CERTIFIED OR RR SEND IT PRIORITY MAIL WITH PROOF OF DELIVERY ONLY-WAIT FOR THE FULL RESPONSE FROM THE CRA BEFORE CONTINUING WITH THE HIPAA LETTER PROCESS... except im not waiting for response per instruction (see earlier in thread).  Im Sending both at same time. and the instructions are Send ALL correspondence to the HIPAA COMPLIANCE OFFICE of the HC provider,CMRR.                                                          I just want confirm these are both correct. because im sending it priority the idea is that it gets to CRAs first?

21 hours ago, stepbystep said:

so i think i found all the addresses i need to. i have just need a shade more clarity. I am sending dispute to all 3 CRAs via priority mail with proof of delivery only as per instruction.YES.. DO NOT send it CERTIFIED OR RR SEND IT PRIORITY MAIL WITH PROOF OF DELIVERY ONLY-WAIT FOR THE FULL RESPONSE FROM THE CRA BEFORE CONTINUING WITH THE HIPAA LETTER PROCESS... except im not waiting for response per instruction (see earlier in thread).  Im Sending both at same time. and the instructions are Send ALL correspondence to the HIPAA COMPLIANCE OFFICE of the HC provider,CMRR.  YES payments go CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED                                                        I just want confirm these are both correct. because im sending it priority the idea is that it gets to CRAs first?

You need to send the disputes to the CRAs WITHOUT a signature needed but you need to send payment to the OC WITH a signature and return receipt.

this is great clarification.. the only address i have found for the OC is a PO Box. I am concerned that may be an issue with getting signature... In short the bill is with emergency physicians who did work when my son came in and there is no physical office. So i was able to track down the PO Box to remit payment... Do you for see that being a problem?

also what happens if they dont accept payment? how ling should I wait for them to deposit check before going to next step (assuming there is one). 

Posted (edited)

What is the address for this provider on your EOMB??

Given the confusion, just send the initial dispute letters to the CRAs and see what happens before you pay anyone anything.

Edited by Why Chat

there was no address on EOMB... that would have made it really easy... things are in the mail now. Ill keep everyone updated. 

ok well here's an update... some good news and some so so so news... i sent off letters to CRA and a check to OC. All in the manner in which they are supposed to be sent. the good news is Transunion dropped off within days of receiving letter.. That was awesome because of the bump I received i was all to get car refinanced at a much better rate than i had before. I have been checking once a week to see if OC had cashed check but as of last week they hadn't. I did get back the green slip that said the OC received the check on May 19... Today i get a notification that a dispute has been started disputing the collection and it was started on May 19th. I am hoping the OC is trying to retrieve the debt from Transunion. I dont know really what's going on. If you have any ideas or speculation what could be going on id love to hear it. Nothing from Equifax... How long should i wait? when should I hear something back next?

If TU deleted as a result of your initial dispute letter it is more than likely that the reporting CA is not actually in a CURRENT business relationship with the OC. Be patient and wait for further results.

Finally received an update from Experian... in short the collection stays..  the company that reported the information has certified to Experian the information is accurate. the information was not changed blah blah blah... So TU deleted immediately... EX validated and I have heard nothing from EQ. and to top it all off the OC hasn't cashed the check they received over three weeks ago according to the bank. not sure what to do next... All advice is welcome. 

Do you have the green card with the signature of whomever signed for the letter with the check?

If so, wait another week and call the hospital, ask for their security department. Tell them that xxxx signed for a money order from you on x/x/2020 but that it has not been deposited and you are concerned that it might have been misappropriated.

Send the medical DV to the CA for the Ex. account;

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

and send Ex the follow up dispute

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

here's another quick question... 

Should i have heard from Equifax by now? and if not what if anything should i do? I have heard from Transunion and am trying to deal with Experian... should i just be more patient and just wait? I sent initial letter and it was received May 19th. any input would be greatly appreciated.