Outdated info on CB

maverick9

The last post in this topic was posted 952 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I applaud and commend how active of a site CB is to so many people. The knowledge and activity is incredible here to say the least.

However, the one thing that I see as a major drawback to CB is the outdated info that is prevalent.  I've been spending an ungodly amount of hours trying to learn every facet of the credit game. I see the dates on some of these threads but lose faith fast that these threads are not applicable to today. In return, I ask questions with that outdated info on a new thread I start. To get the canned response of "That doesn't work today, you have to do x".  The problem is this vicious cycle for all the users.

As a suggestion, I know it would be a daunting task but there has to be a way where for CB to make these threads with current info to provide a much better user experience. To scour through threads and threads for hours on end not knowing if it's current to today really dampers this site.

Just a suggestion to help contribute in making CB the best it can be. 

1 hour ago, maverick9 said:

I applaud and commend how active of a site CB is to so many people. The knowledge and activity is incredible here to say the least.

However, the one thing that I see as a major drawback to CB is the outdated info that is prevalent.  I've been spending an ungodly amount of hours trying to learn every facet of the credit game. I see the dates on some of these threads but lose faith fast that these threads are not applicable to today. In return, I ask questions with that outdated info on a new thread I start. To get the canned response of "That doesn't work today, you have to do x".  The problem is this vicious cycle for all the users.

As a suggestion, I know it would be a daunting task but there has to be a way where for CB to make these threads with current info to provide a much better user experience. To scour through threads and threads for hours on end not knowing if it's current to today really dampers this site.

Let me start by confirming that you're satisfied that you're getting your membership fees worth in value, right?  😄

I'm not being snarky ... just reminding you that this forum, and it's archives, exist in the form that it does because management and moderation of the forum is a volunteer effort. 

I know exactly what you're frustrated with here at CB.  Searching for a given subject in the archives is a tedious task:  The search engine is relatively crude and valuable results can often be woven between many, very dated, posts.  (Note, however, the general search form does allow you to specify limits on post create date, or date of last update.)

But, as is always the case with the search and discovery of new ideas and facts, the onus is on the searcher to successfully glean accurate and timely information with the tools at hand.

Still, if you have ideas on how to enhance the forum and time on your hands as well, I'm sure one of the current moderators would be interested in hearing how you can lend a hand ...

Some things change, many do not, and many things that do change don't change very fast.

The FCRA, for example, was passed in 1970.

If you read something that piques your interest but wonder if it's outdated, create a thread, post a link to the source material in question, and ask away.

The most common answers in the 8 years I've been here were, have been and are:

Get your paper reports

Kredit Carma scores are fake

Don't dispute online

Paying a charge-off won't help your scores

Please don't use the same abbreviation for "utilization" as the one used for unitary tract infection.  The two-letter abbreviation for Utah is also wrong.

When we said paper reports we didn't mean print them from your browser

Keep your utilization low

Inquiries don't matter

All inquiries from car shopping are scored as one anyway

AAoA includes closed accounts

Discovery sucks herds of chipmunks

You should try a goodwill request despite the low probability of success, but you have to target an executive by name

We told you nicely four times to have the reports mailed to you

No, not the free ones from annualcreditreport.com, those give the bureaus an extra 15 days to respond to disputes

My god, I've wasted a lot of time here.

Edited by cv91915

2 hours ago, maverick9 said:

what outdated information were you given in the thread where we answered a million questions and tried to suggest possible courses of action?

Edited by hegemony

I had the same suggestion when I first joined. I wanted to be spoonfed all the answers. However, it turns out the journey is as important as the destination. Those hours you spend digging for gold and reading "outdated" information will give you a true understanding of what you are doing, not just a checklist of steps that may or may not work.

YMMV is the key to credit repair to the Nth degree. Just because something is recent and worked perfectly for one person or 100 people doesn't mean it will work for you or is even a good idea to try. You need to learn concepts and ideas and then apply them to your particular situation. 

3 hours ago, maverick9 said:

At my old job, managing 25 years of content, I became familiar with this as a rolling task.

One of the most effective ways that might be addressed is - not sure if this is a bad or good idea - is reviving an older thread with a comment about something no longer working, if the information is known or suspected to be out of date. 

Other than that, it would be hard to update things deliberately because there are so many years of threads.

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Some things change, many do not, and many things that do change don't change very fast.

The FCRA, for example, was passed in 1970.

If you read something that piques your interest but wonder if it's outdated, create a thread, post a link to the source material in question, and ask away.

The most common answers in the 8 years I've been here were, have been and are:

Get your paper reports

Kredit Carma scores are fake

Don't dispute online

Paying a charge-off won't help your scores

Please don't use the same abbreviation for "utilization" as the one used for unitary tract infection.  The two-letter abbreviation for Utah is also wrong.

When we said paper reports we didn't mean print them from your browser

Keep your utilization low

Inquiries don't matter

All inquiries from car shopping are scored as one anyway

AAoA includes closed accounts

Discovery sucks herds of chipmunks

You should try a goodwill request despite the low probability of success, but you have to target an executive by name

We told you nicely four times to have the reports mailed to you

No, not the free ones from annualcreditreport.com, those give the bureaus an extra 15 days to respond to disputes

My god, I've wasted a lot of time here.

The thing with paper reports, when I see it, I always wonder - is there like a specific good time to do that? Is there a limit on doing it? Is there an ideal time to order them, should they all be ordered at once? 

The last post in this topic was posted 952 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.