Jump to content

Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.


Sign in to follow this  

Medical Provider said no cost and now sends 4k bill

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I'm not entirely sure what to say.

 

My wife was pregnant with our third child about 14 months ago and the doctor wanted us to get genetic testing done.  So we called into both our insurance and to the medical test provider to see if there was no cost.  Well both of the providers got back to us and said there is no out pocket costs and we would not be responsible for any payment.  When the medical provider called us back they left a voice mail that said "We've checked with your insurance and there will be absolutely no cost and 0 out of pocket expenses to you.  You're completely cleared to take the test".   Not about 14 months later they said they've made a mistake and want us to pay 4k.  They're sending us bills and threatening for it to go to collections.  

 

Our insurance company did send us a check for it was only for 500$, we're not sure what to do but we feel we shouldn't have to pay.  

 

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, phyregold said:

Hi all, I'm not entirely sure what to say.

 

My wife was pregnant with our third child about 14 months ago and the doctor wanted us to get genetic testing done.  So we called into both our insurance and to the medical test provider to see if there was no cost.  Well both of the providers got back to us and said there is no out pocket costs and we would not be responsible for any payment.  When the medical provider called us back they left a voice mail that said "We've checked with your insurance and there will be absolutely no cost and 0 out of pocket expenses to you.  You're completely cleared to take the test".   Not about 14 months later they said they've made a mistake and want us to pay 4k.  They're sending us bills and threatening for it to go to collections.  

 

Our insurance company did send us a check for it was only for 500$, we're not sure what to do but we feel we shouldn't have to pay.  

 

Any thoughts?

whenever I need a specialized test including genetic testing, my insurer sends me a written pre-authorization approval notice before I have the test. Did you receive such a notice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hegemony said:

whenever I need a specialized test including genetic testing, my insurer sends me a written pre-authorization approval notice before I have the test. Did you receive such a notice?

No - but sorry, I wasn't clear.  The voicemail came from the testing company that we would not be charged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

 

If it has gone to collections and is on your reports, follow the instructions here;

 

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

 

Send each CRA where the account is reporting this;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

 

If it has NOT gone to collections, exactly WHAT do you have IN WRITING from the provider?

If you have an account statement that indicates that you owe $$ get the EOMB ( explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co. look for what was billed, what was allowed, what was paid ($500) and how much if anything was left as patient obligation.

 

If you are only getting voice mails and telephone calls, they may not actually be from the provider but from a scammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 9:46 AM, Why Chat said:

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

 

If it has gone to collections and is on your reports, follow the instructions here;

 

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

 

Send each CRA where the account is reporting this;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

 

If it has NOT gone to collections, exactly WHAT do you have IN WRITING from the provider?

If you have an account statement that indicates that you owe $$ get the EOMB ( explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co. look for what was billed, what was allowed, what was paid ($500) and how much if anything was left as patient obligation.

 

If you are only getting voice mails and telephone calls, they may not actually be from the provider but from a scammer.

 

 

Hey WhyChat - as I understand you're concern about the voicemail it is most certaintly from the medical provider.  It's from the same agent she called into and then returned her phone call.  The agent called from their number leaving his full name.

 

This voicemail is about 10 months old and comes 1 day after she called in.

 

She called in asked.  

Medical provider said they would call insurance provider and call back.

Medical provider called back and left voicemail saying they checked with insurance provider and there would no no out of pocket expenses.  

 

 

Sorry - maybe your context is these bills from the provider are a scam - i can assure you they are not.  We've called in and they said we owe, we said we have voicemails from your employees saying there would be no costs and that the medical providers employee contacts our insurance company and confirmed there would be no cost.  if there were costs we would not have gotten the test.

Edited by phyregold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern is not with the voice mails to or from the provider but rather any calls received from a purported collection agency

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Why Chat said:

My concern is not with the voice mails to or from the provider but rather any calls received from a purported collection agency

Thank you for the Easter reply but it I could have waited!

 

It has not gone to collections - they are threatening to send it to collections because we don't want to pay because we were told it was covered by them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are recording all their conversations I suggest you send a registered letter to them advising them that unless they stop their unwarranted threats to send you to collections that you will file a complaint against them with the appropriate State and Federal authorities. State that you have the voice recordings of all their conversations including the ones that clearly stated that you owe nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Why Chat said:

If you are recording all their conversations I suggest you send a registered letter to them advising them that unless they stop their unwarranted threats to send you to collections that you will file a complaint against them with the appropriate State and Federal authorities. State that you have the voice recordings of all their conversations including the ones that clearly stated that you owe nothing. 

Thanks WhyChat - I just want to make it clear - we have voicemails not recordings of conversations, but yes we'll take the advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: saving the VMs, I was looking into saving voice memos because Alexa has captured my late husband speaking, and I wanted those files (which is a pain to do).

 

On iPhone it looks like you can export to Notes which is useful, and there is a slightly different process on Android (assuming this isn't a home phone). 

 

If anyone figures out how to store Alexa snippets unrelatedly please tell me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 9:42 AM, Why Chat said:

Tape the voicemails

well I sent the letter off WhyChat and they responded.  They sent this to collections (Credit Collection Services).  The healthcare provider had said I owed 2,700$ and now collections wants 4300$.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the $500 your insurance sent you. Was there an EOMB ( explanation of medical benefits)?? If so was $500 the allowed amount for the service? If so, pay the OC the $500, + any co/pay or deductible that EOMB says is your responsibility with the HIPAA letter insert "a".

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

use this for insert "a"

Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of this account.
This payment in full is for services as per the attached Explanation Of Medical Benefits from my
insurance provider that you billed.
Please note, my remittance is payable ONLY to (hc provider) and may not be signed over or transferred to any third party collection agency, as this would constitute a violation of HIPAA, State Privacy Act rules and the Omnibus Final Rules. .
Copies of this correspondence and a copy of the remittance check may be used for any further actions with State or Federal agencies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  




  • Today's Birthdays

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      178,841
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    maximdrobinin2019
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines