Jump to content

Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.


Sign in to follow this  

Ally Bank

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any experience with ally bank? I was approved for a savings account and I shortly after applied for a checking and it was also approved, I am both on ews and Chex, I have a feeling the accounts might get closed, I heard they did use Chex but about 4 months ago I froze my Chex. if anyone can shed a light on this for me that would be great,I bank with Penfed, only feature missing there is Zelle which ally provides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have chex reports frozen and am in EWS and have had ally checking savings and money market for over a month now. You should be safe at this point but as always keep a backup to be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, akale said:

I too have chex reports frozen and am in EWS and have had ally checking savings and money market for over a month now. You should be safe at this point but as always keep a backup to be safe.

Yea lets hope,  would be nice if it doesn't close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ally used to use both systems, yet as of the start of 2019 I cannot find anyone who is being closed down using your chex-freeze method if they have a clean EWS. There are reports on this forum of users having their account opened for beyond 6 months doing the same thing you did.

 

With that said.. if you are going to keep this bank long term, I would keep my chex frozen and also have a backup account. I am entirely uneasy allowing a bank to be in complete control of my assets if I had a negative entry somewhere that could cause them to freeze my account and disburse my own money back to me on THEIR terms.. especially with the crisis we are in these days.

 

I dont like to sound like a hater.. to each their own, but please for the sake of creditboards humanity, use a backup account.. there are plenty that have Zelle. Let us know if you need help looking for one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stevensmileyx said:

Ally used to use both systems, yet as of the start of 2019 I cannot find anyone who is being closed down using your chex-freeze method if they have a clean EWS. There are reports on this forum of users having their account opened for beyond 6 months doing the same thing you did.

 

With that said.. if you are going to keep this bank long term, I would keep my chex frozen and also have a backup account. I am entirely uneasy allowing a bank to be in complete control of my assets if I had a negative entry somewhere that could cause them to freeze my account and disburse my own money back to me on THEIR terms.. especially with the crisis we are in these days.

 

I dont like to sound like a hater.. to each their own, but please for the sake of creditboards humanity, use a backup account.. there are plenty that have Zelle. Let us know if you need help looking for one. 

Yea appreciate it, i'm currently with Penfed as I stated before they haven't implemented Zell yet, but obviously now a days theres cash app venmo etc, I also like the idea of having my high yield savings together with my checking account, I tried in the past getting an account with Ally (chex was still open), i'm just going to leave it open for about a month before moving things over, since I am on EWS according to Navy Fed who I was able to get a membership but 3 days later was suspended due to EWS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've heard that freezing Chexsystems worked for some. They were able to open and keep accounts with Ally.

Wait two statement cycles before starting direct deposit or bill pay.

 

How old is the negative Chexsystems information? Others have told me they have negative entries nearing the 5 year mark and were approved.  **With negative Chexsystems or EWS file info, always keep a non-Chex non-EWS account.

 

Maintain access to needed funds by having more than one account:

Account #1 - Household Bills Only

Account #2 or Debit Card - Point of Sales and Internet Purchases Only

Account #3 - Emergency Funds/Savings Only

Option #4 - Investments Only

Edited by tmcgill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tmcgill said:

I've heard that freezing Chexsystems worked for some. They were able to open and keep accounts with Ally.

Wait two statement cycles before starting direct deposit or bill pay.

 

How old is the negative Chexsystems information? Others have told me they have negative entries nearing the 5 year mark and were approved.  **With negative Chexsystems or EWS file info, always keep a non-Chex non-EWS account.

 

Maintain access to needed funds by having more than one account:

Account #1 - Household Bills Only

Account #2 or Debit Card - Point of Sales and Internet Purchases Only

Account #3 - Emergency Funds/Savings Only

Option #4 - Investments Only

Have 5 things 3 out of the 5 have been paid off, 2 were BoA, one from 2015 and one from 2019 which is why I didn't pay neither, they said apparently I had opened an account in 2019, which is bs cause they were already reporting me to chexsystems. Yea I am keeping my Penfed open, I'm going to just leave both my initial  deposits till I get the debit card 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be fine.  I opened Ally about a year ago with negative EWS and Chex frozen. I make 

around a dozen transactions a month and keep a small balance there. ~ $2500 as a cushion to

cover minimum payment auto pays in the even I do not PIF a credit card.

 

You should be fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, pandmel said:

You should be fine.  I opened Ally about a year ago with negative EWS and Chex frozen. I make 

around a dozen transactions a month and keep a small balance there. ~ $2500 as a cushion to

cover minimum payment auto pays in the even I do not PIF a credit card.

 

You should be fine.

 

 

thank you, this calmed me down a bit more, time to transfer the remaining of my emergency fund into the savings, once I get the debit card i'll transfer my checking balance over, just going to keep a months worth of expenses in penfed to be sure.

Edited by SchoolLoan
misquoted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, pandmel said:

You should be fine.  I opened Ally about a year ago with negative EWS and Chex frozen. I make 

around a dozen transactions a month and keep a small balance there. ~ $2500 as a cushion to

cover minimum payment auto pays in the even I do not PIF a credit card.

 

You should be fine.

 

i havent been able to open an account at Ally with a frozen chexsystems. I am always denied whether its frozen or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

i havent been able to open an account at Ally with a frozen chexsystems. I am always denied whether its frozen or not. 

I have had savings with them for many years. With little or no balance. I was shocked when they opened for me

after being denied many many times.

 

Just verified been open since Sept 2019. Almost 7 months. Personal and Joint with DW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

i havent been able to open an account at Ally with a frozen chexsystems. I am always denied whether its frozen or not. 

Wow, makes me kinda of nervous lol, I'm not sure if they also check your credit as well. I was shocked when the savings was opened, than I was tempted to try the checking, If you tried only for checking try the savings first if you can get the savings open, once you're logged into try getting the checking. That's how I was able to open both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest thing here is that most people who keep their accounts open have a clean EWS.. and Ally is always nice about opening up accounts, sending a debit card and then shutting you down later.. and I do not want to rattle your nerves, only make you cautious.. because as tmcgill said that you should wait 2 cycles to setup direct deposits, etc is this is the timeframe where the backoffice / underwriting makes the INITIAL decision if your account needs to be looked into and needs to be closed and it seems like that is only re-reviewed if your transactions are sketchy, or you make multiple chargeback requests or fraud claims.. otherwise after 60 days if your account is open.. you should be fine I believe.. but do yourself a favor and dont feel defeated, just be aware.. 

 

Everyones situation is always different.. 

 

You dont want to deposit a chunk of money in Ally and then have them close you out and tell you they will send a check to you in the mail at their convenience, right? Maybe just use it for small stuff for now.. and after awhile.. you will be fine. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stevensmileyx said:

I think the biggest thing here is that most people who keep their accounts open have a clean EWS.. and Ally is always nice about opening up accounts, sending a debit card and then shutting you down later.. and I do not want to rattle your nerves, only make you cautious.. because as tmcgill said that you should wait 2 cycles to setup direct deposits, etc is this is the timeframe where the backoffice / underwriting makes the INITIAL decision if your account needs to be looked into and needs to be closed and it seems like that is only re-reviewed if your transactions are sketchy, or you make multiple chargeback requests or fraud claims.. otherwise after 60 days if your account is open.. you should be fine I believe.. but do yourself a favor and dont feel defeated, just be aware.. 

 

Everyones situation is always different.. 

 

You dont want to deposit a chunk of money in Ally and then have them close you out and tell you they will send a check to you in the mail at their convenience, right? Maybe just use it for small stuff for now.. and after awhile.. you will be fine. 

 

Well I just transfered some of my emergency funds, still have most of it at penfed. I also got approved this morning for first tech credit union, which I plan on opening my business account with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 2:26 PM, tmcgill said:

I've heard that freezing Chexsystems worked for some. They were able to open and keep accounts with Ally.

Wait two statement cycles before starting direct deposit or bill pay.

 

How old is the negative Chexsystems information? Others have told me they have negative entries nearing the 5 year mark and were approved.  **With negative Chexsystems or EWS file info, always keep a non-Chex non-EWS account.

 

Maintain access to needed funds by having more than one account:

Account #1 - Household Bills Only

Account #2 or Debit Card - Point of Sales and Internet Purchases Only

Account #3 - Emergency Funds/Savings Only

Option #4 - Investments Only

Thought you might want to know this, I was approved this morning for First tech credit union as well, where today i'm going to call them up to set up my business account, any experince with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have Ally and know if they charge for incoming wire transfers? I get a small widow's pension and 10% of it monthly goes to WTFs. 

 

My ChexSystems report is also frozen, I read to do that before applying for cards. 

 

I saw Ally might not have it, but also Marcus by Goldman Sachs (who I am getting an ad for on Spotify rn). I just want to divert that to somewhere where I can keep it since it's monthly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Their website states there is no fee for incoming wire transfers.

 

"When receiving a wire to your Ally Bank account:

We don't charge you to receive a wire (domestic or international) to your Ally Bank account but the bank sending the wire may charge you a fee."

www.ally.com/search/?term=wire+transfer+fees&context=&domain=www.ally.com&filter=#term=wire%20transfer%20fees

Edited by tmcgill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, SchoolLoan said:

Wow, makes me kinda of nervous lol, I'm not sure if they also check your credit as well. I was shocked when the savings was opened, than I was tempted to try the checking, If you tried only for checking try the savings first if you can get the savings open, once you're logged into try getting the checking. That's how I was able to open both.

Low and behold i was able to open the savings account up. signed up with online banking, and was given routing and account number. I was also able to open the interest checking account as well. Thanks.. now do they use EWS or is it chexsystems, normally when declined, i had a chexsystems disclosure. 

Edited by mckbulldog02
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

Low and behold i was able to open the savings account up. signed up with online banking, and was given routing and account number. I was also able to open the interest checking account as well. Thanks.. now do they use EWS or is it chexsystems, normally when declined, i had a chexsystems disclosure. 

Now lets see what happens within two statement cycles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SchoolLoan said:

Thought you might want to know this, I was approved this morning for First tech credit union as well, where today i'm going to call them up to set up my business account, any experince with them?

Was you approved with a frozen chexsystems with First Tech. I applied with a frozen chexsystems and said its being reviwewd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

Was you approved with a frozen chexsystems with First Tech. I applied with a frozen chexsystems and said its being reviwewd

Yea im not unfreezing my Chexsystems for years lol, i also lost the pin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SchoolLoan said:

Yea im not unfreezing my Chexsystems for years lol, i also lost the pin

did you get the review message as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mckbulldog02 said:

did you get the review message as well 

I had applied there before applying at Ally, for business and personal accounts over the phone, I was able to set up my online banking yesterday, even though my first email i got said i could, i was missing the temporary pin which i got yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SchoolLoan said:

I had applied there before applying at Ally, for business and personal accounts over the phone, I was able to set up my online banking yesterday, even though my first email i got said i could, i was missing the temporary pin which i got yesterday.

i got denied at first tech because they said i have a fraud statement on my experian and i would need to call experian to remove the fraud alert and then i would have to reapply. so now i got to fool around removing that alert when i didnt even place it on there. she said i put it on there 03/19. she said my chexsystems wasnt the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      179,256
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    vonna03
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines