Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Visa transaction volumes hurt as coronavirus crisis deepens

3 hours ago, shifter said:

Gave me the great opportunity to pick up V at $138.

Wish I had your patience where it came to buying AAL this month.  Pushed in at $16.50; stock is still trying to find a bottom.

Though a reduction in transactions would be expected, I see what economic activity there is going on would be over the V or MC networks - think DoorDash, GrubHub, Amazon, and retail store pickup orders

The decrease in transactions would be those who were 1. anticipating unemployment 2. already unemployed and waiting on what UI benefits they receive to kick in

52 minutes ago, hdporter said:

Wish I had your patience where it came to buying AAL this month.  Pushed in at $16.50; stock is still trying to find a bottom.

Have you looked at options contracts?  I've mentioned in a few places that I have been using the dips to snag call contracts for as far out as I can get them (many have been January 2022).  You don't derive the benefit of the dividends in the interim, but if you have a price point in mind, then key in a low-ball bid on the contract...I've all but stolen some contracts because of the automated processes. 

I've even found some money in selling contracts...amazing how many are willing to pony up on XOM contracts even with a strike price north of $70.  If the roughly hundred contracts I have out there, I anticipate I might lose half of them (5K shares overall).  But...a year down the road, I could wind up covering up some of those prospective sales through adding some call contracts that would essentially replace what got sold at the strike prices... 

Posted (edited)

Any info on Amex's network transaction volume? Oriented as they are to travel and entertainment they must be getting killed. TSA inspections were off 93% yesterday compared to the same day a year ago. So 13 out of 14 typical passengers didn't fly.

Edited by cashnocredit

6 hours ago, hdporter said:

Dangerous to catch a falling knife. I'm not so sure that V has bottomed even though I look like a genius right now. It was a long play on a quality company. In general better to wait for the knife to hit the ground before you try to pick it up. I'm almost entirely in cash right now. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hdporter said:

I bought MGM at $18 thinking I got a steal... and sold at $12 before it fell to $6. Dangerous game these days. 

Edited by shifter

2 hours ago, shifter said:

I bought MGM at $18 thinking I got a steal... and sold at $12 before it fell to $6. Dangerous game these days. 

I got in MGP recently and wish I bought more

On 3/31/2020 at 2:17 PM, centex said:

Have you looked at options contracts?  I've mentioned in a few places that I have been using the dips to snag call contracts for as far out as I can get them (many have been January 2022).  You don't derive the benefit of the dividends in the interim, but if you have a price point in mind, then key in a low-ball bid on the contract...I've all but stolen some contracts because of the automated processes. 

I've even found some money in selling contracts...amazing how many are willing to pony up on XOM contracts even with a strike price north of $70.  If the roughly hundred contracts I have out there, I anticipate I might lose half of them (5K shares overall).  But...a year down the road, I could wind up covering up some of those prospective sales through adding some call contracts that would essentially replace what got sold at the strike prices... 

buying options is nearly always a losing proposition long term. selling puts right now is at a great value because people are paying through the roof for the insurance.

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2020 at 1:13 PM, cashnocredit said:

Any info on Amex's network transaction volume? Oriented as they are to travel and entertainment they must be getting killed. TSA inspections were off 93% yesterday compared to the same day a year ago. So 13 out of 14 typical passengers didn't fly.

not specific to volumes, but a little on amex versus others Here's Why American Express and Subprime Discover are Getting Hammered Today, but Mastercard Isn't

you may notice that there's a big gap between Amex and Discover in terms of stock performance. A likely explanation is that American Express' loan portfolio is generally higher quality, as they have a relatively affluent customer base and high credit standards, compared to [subprime] Discover.

Edited by hegemony