Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Plan to get APRs lowered

Ok so I have all the cards I want and just planning to stay idle for a while. I have really good credit lines. However, I want to lower the APR on the ones that I do have and I’m thinking that now might be the time. I don’t care if they do a HP because as I said, I’m not planning to apply for new credit in a few years. 

so these are the lenders I want to request lower APR from:

Barclay Hawaiian (0% util)

Capital One Quiksilver (0% util)

Chase Amazon (5% util)

US Bank Altitude (10% util)

I’m not a good talker and need advice on how to approach this. My employment is solid so it’s not like I would start maxing them out. 

if you need a low APR card look to some of the CUs out there. The issuers you list don't have any "low" APR cards, especially as rewards cards.

I second Shifter that APR doesn't matter if you're using card correctly.

2 hours ago, hegemony said:

if you need a low APR card look to some of the CUs out there. The issuers you list don't have any "low" APR cards, especially as rewards cards.

I second Shifter that APR doesn't matter if you're using card correctly.

It’s a pet peeve of mine. I want as low rate as possible. But also comforting for should I not “using card correctly.”

You're not going to get any APR breaks for the near future. Depending on how much of a hit creditors take on the coming wave of bad debt this summer once all of the COVID-19 moratoriums expire, banks will need to boost APRs to cover the losses.

11 hours ago, pronto said:

It’s a pet peeve of mine. I want as low rate as possible. But also comforting for should I not “using card correctly.”

APR simply does not matter, especially on a rewards card where one is losing the benefit of a reward by revolving a balance. 

Which one of your four reports lists APR as a field?  I'll save you the time...none of them do.  This means that other lenders don't know it, which makes it even MORE meaningless for those that use cards properly...

also beware of unintended consequences... think about what such a request means or might signal to mean, to your card issuers. I'm old enough to recall on foolish member of CB who called amex to have his "cash advance" max lowered to like $20. A few weeks later amex THEFTED this "high" limits.

2 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

You're not going to get any APR breaks for the near future. Depending on how much of a hit creditors take on the coming wave of bad debt this summer once all of the COVID-19 moratoriums expire, banks will need to boost APRs to cover the losses.

I was talking to someone at work this morning about the reckoning to come when the moratoriums expire.

48 minutes ago, hegemony said:

also beware of unintended consequences... think about what such a request means or might signal to mean, to your card issuers. I'm old enough to recall on foolish member of CB who called amex to have his "cash advance" max lowered to like $20. A few weeks later amex THEFTED this "high" limits.

good times... https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/85777-big-amex-mistake/

14 hours ago, hegemony said:

Finally a decent answer. I thought about this too, that it might send the wrong signals. A refreshing response amidst all the very obvious “APR doesn’t matter if you use the card correctly” responses. 

I started by asking two of my creditors...

- Barclay responded by saying they don’t lower APRs. 
- Amex responded that I should check back again after I’ve made the 1 year mark. 

No matter what the response is, I always feel like Amex pays closer attention to each individual. Their responses are not as cookie cutter as others. 

On 3/31/2020 at 1:55 AM, pronto said:

A refreshing response amidst all the very obvious “APR doesn’t matter if you use the card correctly” responses. 

The bias here tends to be helping people stay focused on the end game, where credit is an asset and not an anchor.

Other places excel at helping people wallow where they are.