Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Newbie < 60 Days 1099-C Form received

Hi CBs,

I'm a newbie and after reading all the newbie forums I hope I'm doing this right. This is my first post.

I just received a Notice of Intention To File An IRS 1099 -C Form from a CA - Offices of Taylor and Associates.

The notice says that they are the legal owners of the account referenced in the box below. The box includes the OC name (Bank of America), and account #, the CA name, charge-off balance $1719.21, Interest $2751.68, Total amount owed $4470.89, charge-off date 3/3/2004, and client claim number.

Then the CA offers me two settlement options lower than what would be paid to the IRS. It's a one-time offer and apparently their last attempt (first I received) to settle this account before submitting the 1099-C to the IRS. I can make a one time payment of $670.63 or 6 monthly payments of $140.43. If no settlement is agreeable I am to detach the form below (1099-C form) and file it with my 2020 taxes.

Some interesting facts about the notice:

My first name used is a variation of my legal name but not my legal name.

My last name used is my maiden name and I was married in 2004 (at the time this was apparently C/O).

I pulled my credit reports and this does not show on any report. I don't even remember having a BOA account in 2004. 

So do I send a DV (CRRR of course)? I'm sorry if this is too long.

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

You're about 15 years after any DV. Did you have an account with FIA Card Services or Elan Financial at that time? It could have been a store card. You're past almost any state's SoL for being sued, so this is the last gasp effort to collect. Also, the CA should have 1099'd you about 10 years ago if they didn't get any judgements on the balance.

What you would owe is income tax on the total amount, and many on here have reported using the Insolvency worksheet to remove the tax liability. On the 1099 do they have your social security number correct? Is the CA's EIN included?

Make sure it is a legitimate 1099. It won't be the first scumbag CA to use a phony 1099 to claim the IRS is about to collect on a debt or use threat of IRS enforcement action to collect a debt.

2004 may be the period where Fleet accounts were acquired by BofA.  They also had picked up NCNB somewhere in that period as I recall...

The 'notice of intent' is NOT an official filing.  No such notice is required to prepare and submit a 1099-C.  It does give you notice that you may be having to deal with it on next year's taxes, but it is NOT a concern at this juncture. 

If this was C/O'd in 2004 it is almost certainly Bad Paper.  Really, really Bad Paper.  No telling how many times it has changed hands, and it was C/O'd at a time a lot of creditors were really bad at maintaining their own records.  

T&A almost certainly has no real documentation to prove that you owe the debt, that they own the debt and have the right to attempt to collect or file a 1099-C, that the amount of the debt claimed is accurate and true, that they didn't charge interest on top of interest, etc., etc. etc.  Probably all they have on you is a line in a spreadsheet containing  sketchy info including your name, account number, amount, etc., almost none of which is accurate and true.  And I guarantee that the OC did not provide any sort of representations or warranties on the accuracy of the data on the account; in fact they probably explicitly stated the opposite -- that they do NOT guarantee the validity or accuracy of any of the information on the account that was sold.

For less than their settlement offer you could hire a good consumer law attorney to send a letter threatening legal action if they continue to pursue this matter or file a fraudulent 1099-C with the IRS.  Or you could make a counter-offer of $100 or so just to make them go away -- but be careful: in some jurisdictions you can reset the SOL by acknowledging you owe the debt so you have to word your counteroffer carefully.

For more info see the link below.  You're not facing a lawsuit, but a lot of the background info in this article might be helpful to you.

&httpsredir=1&article=2206&context=fac_p 

Hi IndyPoolPlayer, thank you for your response. No accounts that I can remember with FIA Card Services or Elan Financial at that time.The 1099does not have my social security number or the CA's EIN. Does that mean it's not a legitimate 1099? What's my next move?  

Hi Burdell, thank you for your response and the links. I just skimmed them and it made me feel better and that it might be a scam. I will read everything later today. Again thank you for your research.

5 hours ago, SSailor54 said:

Hi Burdell, thank you for your response and the links. I just skimmed them and it made me feel better and that it might be a scam. I will read everything later today. Again thank you for your research.

There's no "might be" about it. It's a scam, end of story.

1099-Cs are issued only after a debt meets one of the several "cancelation" criteria and are sent to both the consumer and IRS. The notion that if you don't pay them you should attach their "1099-C" is proof it's bogus. There is no such thing as a "Notice of Intent to Send a 1099-C"  The scammy design is to imply something official is going on and scare the crap out of people.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mryker
      In 2016 and parts of 2017, I've had a few credit cards go into collections. 
      1. Credit Card from a bank is about $20,000.00
      2. Credit Card from a store is about $5000.00
      3. Credit Card from a bank is about $5000.00
      4. Credit Card from a bank is about $3000.00

At the time I was not working and did not know about negotiating/settling . 

I am now working, making about a small $33K a year.

Should I pay off this debt? Do I call the collection agency's and pay it off?  What's the best route to take?

Best
    • By Soharis
      I'm at a 802 credit score. I've never been in collections and while I have debt, it is all student loan debt that I am paying. I've never had to help someone with bad credit before. We are both in our late 20's. Her score is around a 630 transunion and 700 equifax.

I finally got a new job and moved my fiancee from Texas to NY. We are interested in getting married and getting a house/moving for her degree in 1 to 3 years. She does have some credit problems that we would like to take care of. She's never had anyone tell her how to handle credit or anything, so she is oblivious to it all. She has medical collections because her mother told her that she paid her medical bills at the time, but she actually did not, and she took her at good faith for this. I am helping her learn but it takes time.

She has about 1100 to 1700 total in collections. Trans-union and Equifax somewhat show the same thing just Equifax show's t-mobile and transunion does not. All of her collections other than T-Mobile are medical based. She has 7 collections total, with phoenix financial having 3 of them all from the same date. She also has a charged off card not showing in collections.

Paying them off isn't a issue as she has more then enough to pay them all in full, but I want to get everything I can off of her account. All of these collections are from texas prior to her move here in NY. The amounts I posted below are not the exact amounts but close.

First Electronic Bank - 600$ - Closed End of 2014 (5 Yrs Old) - Charged off as bad debt, profit and loss write-off -  (Not showing in collections, only under closed accounts)
      Wakefield & Associates - $600 - Opened End of 2015
      Merch & Prof CollBur - $15 Opened End of 2015
      Creditors Bureau USA - $230 - Opened Mid 2018 - Consumer disputes this account information, meets FCRA requirements (She told me she's never disputed anything)
      Pheonix Financial Serv - $124+130+91 - Opened Mid 2019 
      Convergent Outsourcing - $367 OC =  T-MOBILE Opened - Mid 2019

I'm reading through all the HIPPA stuff on this forum but it's a lot to take in at once, any advice for us? I want to keep communication on the phone at the minimum with any CRA. 

• By Joolie567
      I am looking for some advice. I am able to make all of my payments, but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. At the end of the month, I have approx. $290 leftover as "discretionary income", but this goes towards gas, groceries, etc. Any extra cash I get, I throw at my debt, but that means I have $0 to add to my savings. Since I have $0 savings, anytime I have an emergency (like a medical issue), I end up having to put it on a credit card, pushing me futher into debt. I would like to avoid bankruptcy, because I don't want to lose my car or house. With $16k in credit card debit alone, I'm wondering if that's my best option though? I know my federal student loans will keep haunting me for life regardless, so I'm honestly just paying the bare minimum to avoid harrasment/garnishments. I'm also practically underwater on my car. . . I was quoted it's worth at $6,900.  

CC 1 CC 2 CC 3 CC 4 Car Loan Personal Loan Federal Student Loans Mortgage Total Debt Balance $8,462 $4,673 $2,267 $1,230 $7,508 $8,099 $59,850 $101,358 $193,447 Interest Rates 18.00% 0.00% 23.15% 23.99%           Payments per Month $150 $100 $70 $40 $295 $328 $217 $730 $1,930.00 Utilities, etc. per Month                 $580.00 Bring Home $$ per Month                 $2,800.00 Leftover                 $290.00
    • By MarcuzAgrippa
      Hey there everyone! I've been a lurker for way to long and decided it's time to get to rebuilding my credit. Thank you to everyone who has contributed on this forum! It has been a help to many and will to me also. So here are my details....🤕   Background About May 2014 I lost my job of 5 years and my apartment all in a 30 day span because life happens of course. I had some savings to stay afloat but it ran out and I couldn't run to a well paying job like the one I had fast enough. Hence, my credit went down the drain over the next year.   Baddies I sucked it up and went to MyFico to get a real snapshot of my situation after pulling my three annual reports. At this time I have about 10 baddies on my CR s.   Bank of America - CC that is a CO Hey there everyone! I've been a lurker for way to long and decided it's time to get to rebuilding my credit. Thank you to everyone who has contributed on this forum! It has been a help to many and will to me also. So here are my details....   Background About May 2014 I lost my job of 5 years and my apartment all in a 30 day span because life happens of course. I had some savings to stay afloat but it ran out and I couldn't run to a well paying job like the one I had fast enough. Hence, my credit went down the drain over the next year.   Baddies I sucked it up and went to MyFico to get a real snapshot of my situation after pulling my three annual reports. At this time I have about 10 baddies on my CR s.   Bank of America - CC that is a CO DOFD - 12/2014 DOLA - 01/2015 CL - $2,100 Deficient Balance - $2,342 Getting emails over the last few month directly from CCC trying to settle the account. Started at $1,200 or so now trying to settle account for around $700. Account falls off report in 2021.   Capital One Auto Finance - Auto Loan that is a CO DOFD - 11/2018 DOLA - EQ shows 09/2018 and TU shows 07/2019 Deficient Balance - $11,767 after repo and auction Offered to settle for $2,354 in 08/2019 via lump sum or payments of up to 12 installments.   Delta Community Credit Union - Auto Loan that is a CO DOFD - 08/2014 DOLA - EQ shows 08/2014 and TU shows 06/2014 Deficient Balance - $1,881 after repo auction Never offered to settle debt   Dept of Ed/Nelnet - Student Loan DOFD - 04/2015 DOLA - 01/2018 Paid as agreed with only 90 days late derogs showing EQ 08/2015, 07/2015, 06/2015 TU 04/2015 - 08/2015 EXP only 08/2015   Discover Bank - CC that is a CO DOFD - EQ 04/2015, EXP 12/2017? DOLA - EQ 11/2014, TU 06/2014 Deficient Balance - $1,413 No offer to settle. CCC tried to get judgement in small claims court. CCC's attorney no showed and case was dismissed. Didn't even know about the case until maybe 2018 cause they sent court notice to prior address.   Georgia Power - Utility Company DOFD - 06/2014 DOLA - 10/2015 Deficient Balance - $0 Paid balance in full after CO. Only shows on EQ on CR.   Georgia's Own Credit Union - CC that is a CO DOFD - 08/2014 DOLA - 09/2014 Deficient Balance - $0 (prior $1,222) No offer to settle. Only reports to EQ and EXP. No reporting from CCC since 02/2015.   Macy's - CC that is a CO DOFD - EQ 10/2014, EXP 12/2017 DOLA - EQ 07/2014, TU 06/2014 Deficient Balance - $0 Used to call like crazy but I went off on the CA and mentioned the FCRA and CFPB and they never called or sent a letter again back around 2015/2016.   Portfolio Recovery - CA for OC DOFD - 02/2015 (date CA was assigned) DOLA - 08/2018 (stupidly made a payment to CA) Deficient Balance - $474 (started as $624) Made a payment in late 2018 to CA then stopped. Got a letter or two from them then they went away. OC was Synchrony Bank for a Care Credit CC.   Progressive Insurance - Place with CA by OC DOFD - 04/2019 (date CA was assigned) Deficient Balance - $212 Assigned with CA Caine Weiner. Had a car repo'd and forgot to cancel the insurance. OC for car called file claim and insurance company cancelled policy once notified of the repo.   In addition to the baddies I have about 8 old addresses listed under the CRAs   Inquiries EQ 3 hard from two car dealers (10/12/2018, 10/16/2018, 10/19/2018) Never signed anything and it looks like dealer pulled over the phone when calling about trying to trade in car to avoid repo by Cap1 from above. 15 soft Mostly Credit Karma and Lexis Nexis from shopping auto insurance rates. TU 1 hard from 10/19/2018 car dealer 17 soft (same reasons as EQ)   EXP 1 hard from 10/19/2018 car dealer 29 soft Same reason as above and some skip tracing via repo companies.   Scores Fico 8 Scores EQ - 490 TU - 496 EXP - 523   Next Steps Taken Opt'd Out - 02/2020 Gearing up to get old addresses removed from CR Approved for Self Lender Account 12 installments at $48   Goals Get scores of to 600. No specific timeframe but, to be accountable 12-18 month in my case seems fair.   Questions With derogs this old should I just rebuild for the year via Self Lender and maybe a Secure CC in 3-6 month and let the derogs fall off in late 2021? EXP has the complete wrong date of birth listed for me as 12/31/1987. Trying to age me I guess. Dispute this at the same time as the addresses showing proof via license? Should I settle any of these accounts? If any I would consider the Cap1 Auto loan since they offered $2358 and the balance is over $11k. PFD on the CAs or DV first? - 12/2014 DOLA - 01/2015 CL - $2,100 Deficient Balance - $2,342 Getting emails over the last few month directly from CCC trying to settle the account. Started at $1,200 or so now trying to settle account for around $700. Account falls off report in 2021.   Capital One Auto Finance - Auto Loan that is a CO DoFD - 11/2018 DOLA - EQ shows 09/2018 and TU shows 07/2019 Deficient Balance - $11,767 after repo and auction Offered to settle for $2,354 in 08/2019 via lump sum or payments of up to 12 installments.   Delta Community Credit Union - Auto Loan that is a CO DoFD - 08/2014 DOLA - EQ shows 08/2014 and TU shows 06/2014 Deficient Balance - $1,881 after repo auction Never offered to settle debt   Dept of Ed/Nelnet - Student Loan DoFD - 04/2015 DOLA - 01/2018 Paid as agreed with only 90 days late derogs showing EQ 08/2015, 07/2015, 06/2015 TU 04/2015 - 08/2015 EXP only 08/2015   Discover Bank - CC that is a CO DoFD - EQ 04/2015, EXP 12/2017? DOLA - EQ 11/2014, TU 06/2014 Deficient Balance - $1,413 No offer to settle. CCC tried to get judgement in small claims court. CCC's attorney no showed and case was dismissed. Didn't even know about the case until maybe 2018 cause they sent court notice to prior address.   Georgia Power - Utility Company DoFD - 06/2014 DOLA - 10/2015 Deficient Balance - $0 Paid balance in full after CO. Only shows on EQ on CR.   Georgia's Own Credit Union - CC that is a CO DoFD - 08/2014 DOLA - 09/2014 Deficient Balance - $0 (prior $1,222) No offer to settle. Only reports to EQ and EXP. No reporting from CCC since 02/2015.   Macy's - CC that is a CO DoFD - EQ 10/2014, EXP 12/2017 DOLA - EQ 07/2014, TU 06/2014 Deficient Balance - $0 Used to call like crazy but I went off on the CA and mentioned the FCRA and CFPB and they never called or sent a letter again back around 2015/2016.   Portfolio Recovery - CA for OC DoFD - 02/2015 (date CA was assigned) DOLA - 08/2018 (stupidly made a payment to CA) Deficient Balance - $474 (started as $624) Made a payment in late 2018 to CA then stopped. Got a letter or two from them then they went away. OC was Synchrony Bank for a Care Credit CC.   Progressive Insurance - Place with CA by OC DoFD - 04/2019 (date CA was assigned) Deficient Balance - $212 Assigned with CA Caine Weiner. Had a car repo'd and forgot to cancel the insurance. OC for car called file claim and insurance company cancelled policy once notified of the repo.   In addition to the baddies I have about 8 old addresses listed under the CRAs   Inquiries EQ 3 hard from two car dealers (10/12/2018, 10/16/2018, 10/19/2018) Never signed anything and it looks like dealer pulled over the phone when calling about trying to trade in car to avoid repo by Cap1 from above. 15 soft Mostly Credit Karma and Lexis Nexis from shopping auto insurance rates. TU 1 hard from 10/19/2018 car dealer 17 soft (same reasons as EQ)   EXP 1 hard from 10/19/2018 car dealer 29 soft Same reason as above and some skip tracing via repo companies.   Scores Fico 8 Scores EQ - 490 TU - 496 EXP - 523   Next Steps Taken Opt'd Out - 02/2020 Gearing up to get old addresses removed from CR Approved for Self Lender Account 12 installments at $48   Goals Get scores of to 600. No specific time frame but, to be accountable 12-18 month in my case seems fair.   Questions With derogs this old should I just rebuild for the year via Self Lender and maybe a Secure CC in 3-6 month and let the derogs fall off in late 2021? EXP has the complete wrong date of birth listed for me as 12/31/1987. Trying to age me I guess. Dispute this at the same time as the addresses showing proof via license? Should I settle any of these accounts? If any I would consider the Cap1 Auto loan since they offered $2358 and the balance is over $11k. PFD on the CAs or DV first?   Any guidance looking at my credit profile is appreciated!! 🤗
    • By thebrownguy
      Hi, this is my first post here as I'm kind of stuck in a situation and need help. After moving out from my previous apartment in Indiana, I forgot to pay the electric bill (Duke Energy) for the final month which I did not realize until 4 days ago when I saw a collections record on my credit report. Now I did not receive any communication from the CA or OC regarding the debt until I saw the CR. I have not yet talked to either the CA or OC, but I’m more than willing to pay the whole debt amount ASAP, but would like to get the collections record removed from my CR. I’m a foreign national and do not know much about such processes, but I don’t want a near $100 debt stain my credit score for years to come. I have read some of the discussions in this forum on this topic, and understand that I should first talk to the OC and get the debt settled. What I'm not clear about is what steps I should undertake after that. I would highly appreciate if someone could guide me with this or share their personal experiences in such situations. Thanks for helping out!

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines