Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Collection on Defunct Medical organization - Emergency Clinic

Good day all!

This is my first post here. I have been able to use some of the information provided here to make changes that resulted in my FICO score (version 😎 going from high 500s to (as of today: EQ-713, TR-659, EXP-659). I expect current score to go up once my recent pay down of my Bank of America Credit card (paid down to 20% utilization) and Student loan payment are reported later today or in the next few days.

There is only one stain in my credit file (TransUnion and Experian only): There is a medical collection for $435 from a collection agency (Amcol systems - South Carolina). The original Lender as stated in my report is  First Choice Emergency room (Frisco, TX). The date assigned is 5/4/2015. I am not sure how much damage this does to my credit score considering the age...almost 5yrs.

I do not want to do something that will refresh this date but here is the situation: I did go to this emergency in 2014. I was able to obtain the explanation of benefits from United Health Insurance that stated that the ER billed $609 and insurance paid about $169 leaving me a balance of $435. The main issue here is that this ER presented itself as being IN-Network when they're not and actually the truth should have been that they accept United Health Insurance but they are not considered in Network. This has been a big issue with First Choice and other independent/stand-alone ER that the Texas Legislature few years ago came up with House Bill 2041 that address this issue (They have to disclose whether they are in Network or not and must display in conspicuous area when the patient can see it). I probably would not have gone to them if I knew they're not In-Network. Well, right now, this organization is defunct and do not operate in my area anymore (Dallas, Fort Worth, TX). I decided to call the last number I could find on the web and noticed they're in Houston and Austin, TX area but not in my area.

If I contact the collection agency using the technique discussed in this forum, I have no idea if that will RESET the age of this report from 5yrs to making it very recent. I don't think this collection agency can validate a debt if the organization does not exist anymore. However, I have no way to know if they're acting on behalf of First Choice Emergency or maybe they bought the debt and currently own it.

If the hit on my credit score is low, I can let this fall off my report in another 2 yrs.

Recently AT&T had put a collection account on my report via some collection agency and I had a documentation that proved my case and the entry was removed from my credit report. While Equifax and TransUnion were able to put back the points they took away from my score, Experian removed the collection entry but did not put back same point they took away. It's only 6 points but it can make a difference. As a result of that, I am not sure if it is even worth trying to pursue a 5yr-old collection account without knowing if this will even make any difference on my score...especially experian. Should I leave this issue with First Choice Emergency alone and let it age out?

Quick Question:

Following Whychat Guidebook: I have opted out and obtained individual credit report with associated report# from each of the CRA. Now, I'm at the section to "Delete old addresses". I see some 16 old addresses listed for me in the personal section. 4 of them I  have no idea how it got to my report. My question though is should i circle just the 4 that are not mine as well as the old address where I was living in 2014 when the medical bill was incurred or should I circle the entire 15 old addresses .......leaving just the current address in my letter to CRA.

Dispute them all. 

to delete old addresses send a letter to each CRA ( Credit Reporting Agency)WITH PROOF OF DELIVERY# with a copy of the personal data page of your report and the "old" addresses circled in red. You state that the circled addresses of xxxx and xxxx are invalid ,and the ones double circled are completely unknown and that you are concerned about ID theft/fraud, include a copy of your drivers license, a copy of your SS card and a copy of a recent utility bill as proof of your identity and correct address.

You can DOUBLE CIRCLE the ones that are unknown.

The address removal process is taking longer than anticipated.

After I sent off the request for address removal using the provided instruction., I could confirm the 3 CRA received the letters from the tracking#. No formal communication from either of the CRA except email from Experian indicating that they cannot remove any address associated with an active account.

I pulled my credit from MYFICO.Com today 5/25/2020 (I have monthly subscription for 3-in-1 report). Below is how the Personal Information looks:

EXPERIAN - They deleted 9 old addresses but left two (2) old addresses. One of the two addresses not deleted was from the medical collection i want to dispute.

TRANSUNION - They deleted all old addresses except one (1) old address.  Not sure why this old address from 2008 was not deleted. No account associated with this address. The address associated with the Collection account was deleted thankfully.

EQUIFAX - Equifax has not deleted any old address yet. Even though there are no collection in my Equifax credit report, would have loved they deleted old addresses. I am not sure if they just have not gotten to it or they ignored it. They did not send any communication to me either.

Since Experian and TransUnion have collection accounts, should I send another letter or call them instead?

***Also noticed that even though the collection is from 2015, Experian keeps reporting the collection as having a recent 60-day late payment. This was a medical bill and not monthly or recurring payments. So not sure how they come about with 60-day late,

Edited by AllMine

Thanks so much!

I have the HIPAA letter with initial dispute to Experian and TU done. They're already in prepaid priority mail with proof of delivery. I will drop off at the post office tomorrow morning (Tuesday). Glad I bought a bunch of the prepaid priority envelopes...comes in handy.

Keeping my finger crossed!

Thanks again

Quick Question.. a little unrelated:

I subscribe to Myfico. Ran my report earlier today:

FICO 8 Score read: Equifax 722, TransUnion 669, Experian 665 (this used to be 660 and I ran experian boost to add extra 5 pts).

However, there is another FICO Bankcard Score 8 (it says commonly used for credit card Lending) that has Equifax: 736,  TransUnion: 681 and Experian: 679.

So when one applies for credit card, does credit card company use the first set of scores for FICO 8 or the one that says "Fico bankcard Score 8"?.

I only have 3 major credit cards and bestbuy and Dell store accounts....with total CL of 13,500. Current balance is $3264. Then I have a mortgage (2017) with a balance of 343,000 (5% paid off) and student loan of $77000......paying mostly interest.

Edited by AllMine

I am not into "scores" however elsewhere on this forum there are many who DO understand the various scoring methods and applications. I do believe that once you get rid of this medical account on your TU and Ex reports your scores with them will improve.

Personally speaking,I believe the more credit cards a person has the easier it is for problems to crop up in any emergency situation. As to your student loan-- hopefully after Jan 20, 2021 there will be some student loan relief.