Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

And so the COVID-19 job losses and evictions begin

On 5/27/2020 at 4:50 PM, TheVig said:

I subscribe to his channel and saw that rant.

The most spittle I have every seen any one human produce. But warranted spittle.

Posted (edited)

Eviction moratoriums in NC have been extended until June 21st.

Prior to covid-19, Mecklenburg Co averaged 2000 evictions a month. With an already crowded docket before all this, lawyers who specialize in this area are predicting it could take three to five months for a case to be heard...….that's assuming the renter tries to fight it. Expecting 9000+ a month through summer potentially. Sheriff office is gonna be busy serving all these evictions as well.

I suspect many will try to fight it to take advantage of the situation to buy time. Most will ultimately lose their case. They always do. Also good luck getting an attorney. Local legal aid person, who was interviewed on TV didn't come out and say it, but you could see the look in his eye, that their ain't enough pro bono attorneys to deal with this. Plus with the courts already packed pre covid, this is gonna get interesting.

Then there is the landlord side of things. Foreclosures...……. The big corporate landlords will probably be okay. The poor sap, renting out a few houses, is probably not too happy right now.

Also our utility cutoff ban has been extended for another 60 days. 

Edited by TheVig

Posted (edited)

Governor's do not want to do this, but they do not have a choice. I don't think many cities have the infrastructure to take care and protect the homeless. 

I was in Cupertino last week and could not believe what I saw. A line of homeless tents lined up near a freeway entrance. I was shocked. Of all the places I did not expect to see this was here. 

Governor Newsom extended the eviction moratorium until July 28th and a huge sigh of relief in Santa Clara County.

Edited by NorCalR1

10 hours ago, NorCalR1 said:

I was in Cupertino last week and could not believe what I saw. A line of homeless tents lined up near a freeway entrance. I was shocked. Of all the places I did not expect to see this was here. 

Those aren't people from Cupertino.  The encampments get set up where they're tolerated.  

huge sigh of relief in Santa Clara County.

Unless you're a landlord with a mortgage, property taxes, maintenance and utilities to pay, and your tenants have been in breach of contract and haven't paid rent in months.

I don't think many cities have the infrastructure to take care and protect the homeless. 

This is a false choice.  I've been unemployed and unable to pay rent.  I moved in with a friend for a while. 

Unless someone has a mental illness or a drug habit (or both) chances are almost zero of ending up in a tent under an overpass.

20 hours ago, TheVig said:

Eviction moratoriums in NC have been extended until June 21st.

Prior to covid-19, Mecklenburg Co averaged 2000 evictions a month. With an already crowded docket before all this, lawyers who specialize in this area are predicting it could take three to five months for a case to be heard...….that's assuming the renter tries to fight it. Expecting 9000+ a month through summer potentially. Sheriff office is gonna be busy serving all these evictions as well.

I suspect many will try to fight it to take advantage of the situation to buy time. Most will ultimately lose their case. They always do. Also good luck getting an attorney. Local legal aid person, who was interviewed on TV didn't come out and say it, but you could see the look in his eye, that their ain't enough pro bono attorneys to deal with this. Plus with the courts already packed pre covid, this is gonna get interesting.

Then there is the landlord side of things. Foreclosures...……. The big corporate landlords will probably be okay. The poor sap, renting out a few houses, is probably not too happy right now.

Also our utility cutoff ban has been extended for another 60 days. 

Our gas and electric will work with customers but not the water department. So neither the tenant or landlord is offered a pause.

10 hours ago, cv91915 said:

This is a false choice.  I've been unemployed and unable to pay rent.  I moved in with a friend for a while. 

Unless someone has a mental illness or a drug habit (or both) chances are almost zero of ending up in a tent under an overpass.

At this rate of unemployment, that is highly unlikely. For too many all it takes is losing one months paycheck due to a job loss, and chances are, especially if you are older, you have no chance. Where the cost of living is so expensive, that is exasperating the problem even more. Perception may be that all homeless are drug addicts with mental health issues, but in reality that is not the case.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, NorCalR1 said:

At this rate of unemployment, that is highly unlikely. For too many all it takes is losing one months paycheck due to a job loss, and chances are, especially if you are older, you have no chance. Where the cost of living is so expensive, that is exasperating the problem even more. Perception may be that all homeless are drug addicts with mental health issues, but in reality that is not the case.

Nothing applies 100% of the time, but "Missed most recent paycheck" is nowhere on this list.

You'll notice that the total adds up to > 100% because many of these poor souls have more than one of these conditions.

la-graphics-la-w2-me-mental-health-homel

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-07/homeless-population-mental-illness-disability 

Edited by cv91915

I don't think any of us here want to see people on the street. With that said, extensions of eviction and utility cutoff bans does nothing but kick the can down the road. At some point, the can will stop tumbling, regardless. Just get it done and over with.

Years ago my finances collapsed during 2008. The economy had absolutely nothing to do with it. I was simply living beyond my means in many areas and it just so happened to coincide with the downturn. I decided at that point to build myself a chair (financial stability), so I could have a seat at the table moving forward. Here it is 2020, and I have still have a seat at the table.

Posted (edited)

Reflecting on how much things have changed in 4 months.

Impact on the World and US economies? Black swan or just another bump in the road?  Too early to tell. 

Sigh.

Well what we know now compared to what I wrote in Jan:

1. SARS-CoV-2 is spreads about 3x faster than the original SARS but is far less lethal.

2. A really large number of people get it and never have symptoms.. Recently all of 200 migrant farm workers tested positive and only 3 had symptoms. Somewhere between 5% and 10% of the US population has had it. Most didn't know or had slight cold symptoms.

3. OTOH, sometimes most everyone that gets it has symptoms. The Choir practice group in Saggit had 85% of their 60 singers get sick and 2 died.

4. Looks like the actual fatality rate if you get the bug is under 1%, not 2% and likely only about .5%. It's about 3%-6% if you are sick enough to get hospitalized but few are that sick if they even have symptoms at all.

5. Unlike flu, there is no existing immunity. Everyone that hasn't already had it can get it.

6. It's far and away most dangerous to the elderly. For those under 50 the fatality rate is low, less than .05% or fewer than 1 in 2000.  OTOH, if you are over 80 probably about 5% or more.

7. The original belief that it was mostly spread by fomites (touching something someone else touched) is now believed not to be the primary spread mode. Rather, it's indoors in close, poorly ventilated rooms with an infected person for prolonged time but possibly over a much larger distance than 6'. Hence masks have gotten a lot more attention.

Edited by cashnocredit

14 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Reflecting on how much things have changed in 4 months.

Impact on the World and US economies? Black swan or just another bump in the road?  Too early to tell. 

Sigh.

Well what we know now compared to what I wrote in Jan:

1. SARS-CoV-2 is spreads about 3x faster than the original SARS but is far less lethal.

2. A really large number of people get it and never have symptoms.. Recently all of 200 migrant farm workers tested positive and only 3 had symptoms. Somewhere between 5% and 10% of the US population has had it. Most didn't know or had slight cold symptoms.

3. OTOH, sometimes most everyone that gets it has symptoms. The Choir practice group in Saggit had 85% of their 60 singers get sick and 2 died.

4. Looks like the actual fatality rate if you get the bug is under 1%, not 2% and likely only about .5%. It's about 3%-6% if you are sick enough to get hospitalized but few are that sick if they even have symptoms at all.

5. Unlike flu, there is no existing immunity. Everyone that hasn't already had it can get it.

6. It's far and away most dangerous to the elderly. For those under 50 the fatality rate is low, less than .05% or fewer than 1 in 2000.  OTOH, if you are over 80 probably about 5% or more.

7. The original belief that it was mostly spread by fomites (touching something someone else touched) is now believed not to be the primary spread mode. Rather, it's indoors in close, poorly ventilated rooms with an infected person for prolonged time but possibly over a much larger distance than 6'. Hence masks have gotten a lot more attention.

OMHO this was by far the most interesting thread on Covid-19. Miss PotO's input since he was living in China. 

I remain very careful since I am the only shopper in the house and approaching age 65 next year. It ain't over yet.

On 3/24/2020 at 1:45 AM, hegemony said:

that sucks. I'm sorry you're going through this.

There's a LOT of people in that boat, hegemony.

With the eviction extension here, some hotels are ramping up their tactics to move non payers along. 

Turning off the AC to units that haven't paid. Easy to do if the circuit breakers are not located inside their respective rooms.

Sweat'em out.

Of course the community troublemaker groups are crying foul. Even with utility cutoff bans in place, don't these squatters realize the hotel owners still have to pay the power bill in full at some point as well? Some people only think of themselves. 

Bougie snarkiness aside, I'm thinking of renting a room at one of these hotels. Crank the AC down as low as it will go. Just to help cancel out the energy savings the owners are hoping for.

2 hours ago, TheVig said:

With the eviction extension here, some hotels are ramping up their tactics to move non payers along. 

Turning off the AC to units that haven't paid. Easy to do if the circuit breakers are not located inside their respective rooms.

Sweat'em out.

Of course the community troublemaker groups are crying foul. Even with utility cutoff bans in place, don't these squatters realize the hotel owners still have to pay the power bill in full at some point as well? Some people only think of themselves. 

Bougie snarkiness aside, I'm thinking of renting a room at one of these hotels. Crank the AC down as low as it will go. Just to help cancel out the energy savings the owners are hoping for.

All it takes is 1 community activist to file a complaint with the local station to get it on the 6PM news and make a compelling emotional argument and the hotel management will back off. Just need 1 person, that's all.

34 minutes ago, NorCalR1 said:

All it takes is 1 community activist to file a complaint with the local station to get it on the 6PM news and make a compelling emotional argument and the hotel management will back off. Just need 1 person, that's all.

Not always. At least not around here. 

2 hours ago, TheVig said:

Sweat'em out.

meh.  Cutting off A/C is not a removal of utility.  Few jurisdictions have a requirement for the provision of a comfort.   

Cable or satellite should also go out...it happens. 

And if they aren't bothering to pay the bills, it is probably going to be a good bet that many things in that room will be in need of permanent tossing and replacing.  I know that MOST guests won't want to be flocking to a hotel that is occupied with a bunch of squatters...

2 hours ago, NorCalR1 said:

Then that hotel can go on live local tv and tell how they are quickly going under with lack of revenue coming in.

1 hour ago, creditmaze said:

Then that hotel can go on live local tv and tell how they are quickly going under with lack of revenue coming in.

A Days Inn here closed its doors altogether. That's how they cleared out the hotel. I suspect they will conveniently reopen when the eviction ban ends. 

Before it closed, it was one emotional story everyday on the news. Then boom. Can't legally house guests with zero staff.

2 hours ago, creditmaze said:

Exactly. Exasperating the problem, because now they aren't generating revenue for the city/county, which further puts them at risk of operating under a deficit that they need to reconcile.

19 minutes ago, TheVig said:

A Days Inn here closed its doors altogether. That's how they cleared out the hotel. I suspect they will conveniently reopen when the eviction ban ends. 

Before it closed, it was one emotional story everyday on the news. Then boom. Can't legally house guests with zero staff.

That's one way to go about it. Begs the question, where did they go next? When they closed, do they have enough money to hold on? 

Local TV station is partnering with Crisis Assistance Ministry to help try and raise donations in regards to helping people avoid eviction.