Jump to content

Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.


SDFCU Secured Card Graduated

Recommended Posts

I logged on to the app to pay my bill this month (second payment of the month actually) and noticed that my Secured Visa Platinum was now listed as Graduated Visa Platinum. I also noticed that my Share Savings account now has the entire balance showing available to me. I had never heard of this card unsecuring, so I called in and they confirmed that my card is showing as a regular Visa Platinum card on their end. So if anyone else had this card, you might want to see if you’ve been graduated. I never received a letter that I was graduating nor did any of my statements reflect this.
 

Background:

I filled for Chapter 7 in October, 2018 and received discharge in February, 2019. Two weeks later, I applied for a $500.00 share secured loan and a $1,000 share secured Visa. I paid the loan off fairly quickly (around 9 months) and would either pay the Visa in full each month or carried a small balance. My plan was to keep the Visa opened for two years and then close it at the 2 year mark. 
 

In June I was approved for a Target credit card with a $500 limit. I received two CLI...up to $700 in the Fall and it’s now at $1,000.

 

In November I applied for a Kohls store card because I live near one and shop there all the time. I was approved with a $300 limit. I’m not eligible for a CLI until 6 months passes. I did include Kohl’s in my BK.

 

In November I got “pre-selected” for that stanky Indigo card with a $300 limit. I never activated it, but it’s still reporting. There is no annual fee.

 

I applied for and was approved for Discover with a 12k limit. They were also included in my BK. This card has no annual fee.
 

I then was later approved for a Penfed Power Rewards VISA with a 15k limit.

 

i purchase a new Toyota at the end of December and was approved with 0 down with Toyota Financial at 6.9% for 72 months but ended up going with a local credit union at 4.74% for 72 months. 


So my post was about the SDFCU card graduating, but I also wanted to let others know that there is life after BK.
 

My Fico 9 is currently 652 (Penfed Score)

My Fico 8 is currently 648 (Discover Score)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! Great work on the rebuilding. We all make some mistakes (Indigo), but overall it looks like you've been heading in the right direction. Have you also been working on getting rid of the BK and cleaning up your reports? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, shifter said:

Congrats! Great work on the rebuilding. We all make some mistakes (Indigo), but overall it looks like you've been heading in the right direction. Have you also been working on getting rid of the BK and cleaning up your reports? 

I have not. I pulled paper reports to verify that all of my trade lines were reporting. I haven’t even tackled the BK. I was trying to read through the guide on how to get rid of it, but it seemed like the op had a new address and I don’t see myself moving from my current place until I’m called to meet my maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have to physically move to get a new mailing address and shift all your credit accounts to start using it. It'll take a minute but you can scrub your credit of all mention of the address associated with the BK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a physical address, but I think others have had success with a PO Box. UPS Store addresses are often not very useful because they keep databases of those addresses and some places will not allow them because they know they are not real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats, however you don't clarify which credit union SDFCU is and I never assume!

 

Would this in fact be State Department FCU? https://www.sdfcu.org/

 

Well if this is State Department FCU, then this is significant news as it has been widely understood for years that they do NOT graduate their secured cards!

 

Guess they do in fact now graduate, right here: https://www.sdfcu.org/savings-secured-credit-card

 

Use card responsibly and you can be automatically graduated to a Visa Platinum Credit Card

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes. State Department FCU.  
 

A couple of data points:

 

I applied over the phone in February, 2019 with no credit report pulled. The website was updated since then, but I didn’t recall the line about graduation.

 

My interest rate remains the same 13.49%
 

My credit report still shows secured,  it it may update at the end of this month.

 

I hope this helps someone trying to rebuild who doesn’t want to go (or perhaps cannot go to due to BK or charge off) some of the big  banks who offer secured cards that graduate.

Edited by californiadreamin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, californiadreamin said:

Yes. State Department FCU.  
 

A couple of data points:

 

I applied over the phone in February, 2019 with no credit report pulled. The website was updated since then, but I didn’t recall the line about graduation.

 

My interest rate remains the same 13.49%
 

My credit report still shows secured,  it it may update at the end of this month.

 

I hope this helps someone trying to rebuild who doesn’t want to go (or perhaps cannot go to due to BK or charge off) some of the big  banks who offer secured cards that graduate.

When you applied in FEB/2019 were you already a member of SDFCU? And did SDFCU ever pull credit for the secured VISA? This is good info for rebuilders, another secured card option that graduates and if no hard pull, even better.....

Edited by Rogue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had joined them preciously by just opening a savings account. I believe it was a soft pull at opening of the savings account.

 

i has read on here before that you could call in and apply for the secured card without a credit check and when I called in, the rep did confirm that since I was already a member, she didn’t need to pull credit. She sent me the docusign and I went to a shared CU branch to made my deposit into the savings account and they did the rest with getting the card printed and mailed to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, californiadreamin said:

I had joined them preciously by just opening a savings account. I believe it was a soft pull at opening of the savings account.

 

i has read on here before that you could call in and apply for the secured card without a credit check and when I called in, the rep did confirm that since I was already a member, she didn’t need to pull credit. She sent me the docusign and I went to a shared CU branch to made my deposit into the savings account and they did the rest with getting the card printed and mailed to me.

dUVHHIo.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, californiadreamin said:

I just got a letter from them and they increased my limit. That was definitely unexpected after thinking this card wouldn’t graduate. 

So how much was the CLI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 10:42 AM, californiadreamin said:

I see. I haven’t thought about it like that. I do have a PO Box, but only use it for business mail. Would that work or would a UPS store with a physical address be better? 

There is no problem with using a PO Box for the mailing purposes on credit, and the address would likely move to the credit reports within a billing cycle or three.  The issue can come in obtaining NEW credit, at least through the automated application processes. 

 

I have had some problems with a couple of banks that did not like the fact that ALL of my government-issued ID shows the Post Office Box and that I basically have nothing that attaches my name directly to the three residential addresses.  However, other banks have CSR's that grasp the issue when I speak directly to them on the phone...

 

The question you will need to answer is whether you wanted to co-mingle your personal and business issues since you reference the current PO Box being related to your business...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, centex said:

There is no problem with using a PO Box for the mailing purposes on credit, and the address would likely move to the credit reports within a billing cycle or three.  The issue can come in obtaining NEW credit, at least through the automated application processes. 

 

I have had some problems with a couple of banks that did not like the fact that ALL of my government-issued ID shows the Post Office Box and that I basically have nothing that attaches my name directly to the three residential addresses.  However, other banks have CSR's that grasp the issue when I speak directly to them on the phone...

 

The question you will need to answer is whether you wanted to co-mingle your personal and business issues since you reference the current PO Box being related to your business...

That’s a good point about my P.O. Box. I’ll have to think this through some for sure. Thanks for your insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, californiadreamin said:

That’s a good point about my P.O. Box. I’ll have to think this through some for sure. Thanks for your insight.

There is nothing to preclude having a second one for the personal stuff...I just mentioned the co-mingling element since it is a bigger deal for some than others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 2:31 PM, Rogue said:

Congrats, however you don't clarify which credit union SDFCU is and I never assume!

 

Would this in fact be State Department FCU? https://www.sdfcu.org/

 

Well if this is State Department FCU, then this is significant news as it has been widely understood for years that they do NOT graduate their secured cards!

 

Guess they do in fact now graduate, right here: https://www.sdfcu.org/savings-secured-credit-card

 

Use card responsibly and you can be automatically graduated to a Visa Platinum Credit Card

 


so if I'm not graduated there is no chance I could get a credit card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, samlarson said:


so if I'm not graduated there is no chance I could get a credit card?

In this context, "graduated" refers to a change in the status of the card itself (specifically it means that a secured card transitions to an unsecured card, and your deposit gets refunded).

 

We recommend secured cards that graduate because the cards can be left open indefinitely (if the card doesn't graduate, the only way to get your deposit back is by closing the card).   Other things equal, the longer a card reports the more valuable it is to your credit profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By ON-MY_way
      I had a NFCU cc of $25,xxx (25k) charged off in Dec. 2018.   During my small business startup and struggles I tried my best to stay afloat.  I managed to keep my  NFCU auto loan ($31k, balance $5,000, never miss/late payment) and NFCU cc ( $3000 never miss/late payment) current.  
       
      My Equifax lists:
      12/2018 Charged off account
      Date of Last Payment Aug 01, 2020 (I made NO PAYMENTS or arrangements since CO.  I keep little money (under $100 in my checking savings.  Low and behold In August 2020 I see a 'DR Adjustment' of $1000 from my checking.  After investigating I learned that a commercial account deposit I had in 2016 was credited back to me and the acct they had on file was NFCU and they snatched the grand and sent me a letter 'thanking me' for my payment of $1000.  
      My state is NC, does this now effect my SOL?   Is this legal for NFCU to take money from your checking account and update the CRA as you've made a payment when I did not initiate it?
       
      After this eye-opening moment, I did some research and it's my guess that NFCU loan terms have 'cross-collateralization' verbiage.  
      When my NFCU auto loan is paid in full, will they send me the title or 'hold' it until the CO is paid off or settled for agreed amount?  If I settle at a percentage of CO before auto loan is paid, will I get the title once auto loan is zero balance?
       
      I reached out to NFCU collections and got an offer to settle the co acct for $4000, so including the $1000 they already debited, that 20% of the charged off amount to stop the collection process.  I'm assuming even with all the lawsuits NFCU has been a part of since 2016 to present, PFD is not an option on the table as a counter offer.  I have the means to pay $4,000 to them within 10 days, besides my CRA showing 'paid, settled for less', how will this effect my credit and score?

      I know the general opinion on CB is that NFCU is GREAT and one should try to stay in their good graces, but it seems things there have changed for the downhill since 2017 and with a recent whistleblower lawsuit concerning their mortgage underwriting practices... their home loans advantage could also suffer in the near future.  Personally at this stage, I'm not '$25k-in-love' with NFCU, but if you can offer reasons to sway my judgment, it will be enlightening.   
      All in all, I'm seeking advice to get my title once the vehicle is paid off and maintaining the 'most amicable' relationship with NFCU going forward holding a single credit card, checking, and saving accts.  
       
    • By Toast73
      So I disputed (or so I thought I disputed) addresses off the Big 4. TU removed all addresses except for my current. EQ has my current and another non-BK address. EX won't budge.
       
      All bureaus froze. Microbilt, LexisNexis, SageStream, Chex, you name it. 
       
      Try to get full verification of the bankruptcy on my file, thinking the whole Trial Rule 1005 thing would help me (this rule makes only the last 4 of your social, full name and addy public-facing).
       
      No dice.
       
      This was the response L/N fed me, including a few notes in RED.
       
      Please critique, tell me I have no chance for removal, something....
       
       
    • By invisible
      Basically, below are the baddies on my reports. I know I can't do much for the lates, but I'm hoping I can work on the other ones. I’ve been lurking and researching, but not sure what to start with. Any help is appreciated.
       
      Equifax
       
      Lates:   Auto loan – 10x in past 2 yrs.
                  8 Navient Accounts – 7x in past 2yrs. (although was in forbearance)
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.
       
      Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020, but shows as open and 120+ past due
                              UM Old Balance from 2012 – $8k
       
       Experian
       
      Lates:   Auto loan – 14x in past 2 yrs. Status says: Now paying/was a charge-off
                  8 Navient Accounts – 7x in past 2yrs. (although was in forbearance)
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.
       
      Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020
                              Cap One #2 = $613 from Oct 2019
       
      Trans Union
       
      Lates:   Auto loan – 14x in past 2 yrs. (says C/O for Oct 2018)
                  8 Navient Accounts – 7x in past 2yrs. (although was in forbearance)
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.
       
      Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020
                              Cap One #2 = $636 from Oct 2019
       
      Collections:     IC Systems (Charter Communications) = $167
       
       Auto loan: It was almost a repo. I paid past due the same day they set it out to be towed. I was 3 months behind. Why are they saying it was a charge off? What can I do?
      Student loans: I was in forbearance, but Navient says they no longer change credit reports. They sent me letter confirming forbearance for those months.
      Charge Offs: Since they are within past year, should I try to settle, pay in full, or wait a while?
    • By imar9418
      I have an AMEX charge off from 2017 its paid but I want it off my reports I've called them but the guy on the phone just kept saying nope can't take it off even if paid.
      I've even tried disputing them because they were reporting the wrong info but they just update with the right info. 
       
      I was able to get approved for a different AMEx card two months ago so I know I'm not blacklisted 
       
      I was wondering has anyone had any luck with something like this. 
    • By Toast73
      I am pretty proactive on MyFico, so I thought I'd come here and get a different perspective on credit repair.
       
      I have read through Why Chat's Credit Confusion, and it's pretty robust.
       
      But one question I have that I cannot see addressed (other than a vague NYT article) is why "opting-out" is the first step toward credit repair?
       
      I understand the dispute process, but can you actually force the creditors to stop reporting information to credit bureaus this way?



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      179,621
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    Climaxxll
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines